Hi — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi

Options
SLTWrighty
SLTWrighty Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello. my name is Sarah and I have just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, which explains a few things but I am struggling to come to terms with it. I am looking to chat to others because I feel kinda on my own a the minute!! Best wishes to everyone. :-)

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hello @SLTWrighty. Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. Thanks for reaching out to us. I appreciate how much courage it takes.

I also have fibromyalgia! And I can hear how it is difficult to come to terms with it despite it explaining a few things. 

Is there anything, in particular, about your fibromyalgia diagnosis that you are struggling to come to terms with? We are here for you and listening to you.

You don't have to face this, or anything else, alone if you don't want to. Best wishes to you too  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @SLTWrighty well done for reaching out, and sharing a bit about yourself. That's not always easy to do, especially when it's something new.

I can see @L_Volunteer has already introduced herself, and you'll find many of our members experience the same condition or manage similar conditions day to day. You might like to visit our Chronic Pain and Pain Management category to find other members who are going through similar things. 

If you'd like to have a look around the rest of the forum please do feel free, here's a few of the best places to get started:

• Recent discussions is where you'll find all the latest conversations our members are having
    • The categories page shows all the different topics for discussion
    • The virtual coffee lounge is a place to chat, get to know other members, and play games too

I hope this community can act as a place of support for you, and please don't hesitate to reach out of you need anything :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • SLTWrighty
    SLTWrighty Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hello Both

Many thanks for your kind comments. :-) I don't want to arrive here and then be completely negative though. There is more to me than my illness usually, but it does seem to have taken over recently. I used to dance, run 5k's and co-manage a small animal sanctuary (in my "spare" time!!) - now I sometimes struggle to get up in the morning. My boss is not to happy with me because of it either, I feel. I also feel the stress of my husband's cancer diagnoses is not helping the fibromyalgia. But, oh....! The brain fog!! :-( 

However, it is good to know that there are people out there and I am not alone - although I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I thank you so much for being there and responding to me. I will have a wander round on the forum. I am not so good with the interweb as a rule but I will work it out..... I hope..... :-) 

I think the thing I am struggling most to come to terms with is that I can't do everything I used to be able too and it hasn't been a slow transition - it's kinda happened very fast. I am now classed as "disabled" - how the heck did that happen?! The lack of energy is scary - I used to have so much - it's almost like I only had so much and now I have run out. Weird.

Again - thank you so much for responding to me. Best wishes to you both. Sx

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It will take time to get used to things, and make adjustments @SLTWrighty and that's okay. If the community can support you with that then that's all the better. 

Hopefully in time you will see your disabled self not as a loss compared to before but simply as different, or perhaps even a gain, or a positive.

I can't relate directly, as I have had cerebral palsy since birth, but I know that my disability has brought me a perspective on life I would never have had otherwise :) 

If we can help with anything, or even if you'd just like a chat, let us know.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.