If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mandatory reconsiderion turned down- lost the will

Options
goonies009
goonies009 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hi I have just received a letter regarding MR and it’s been turned down they decided the original 7 points was accurate. 
I can’t even describe how soul destroying I have found this whole process. I started claim nov 2021 and since then the mental affect it’s had on me has been destroying me and the anxiety has been awful. 
I can’t believe what I have had to go through with my conditions and also not to mention the lengthy cab appointments going through form and sending them off. 
I feel like totally packing it in I feel it’s drained life out of me how unfair and unjust this process is especially with my mental health and learning difficulties. I provided so much proof and it’s taken it out of me. 
I have also just found out I’m pregnant few days ago which has really triggered my anxiety and feel I can’t cope with all this anymore let alone coping with my conditions and pregnancy on top but at the same time I feel the decision is not accurate. 
Iv had a good cry the hormones are not helping I just feel so helpless I don’t know what to do anymore and with the pregnancy its affecting my mental health even more. Any advice appreciated I just feel like Iv lost the will. 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    Good afternoon @goonies009 and welcome to the online community

Unfortunately it is not unusual for people to have their MR rejected but have a look around our online forum and you will see that many people are awarded PIP eventually, even when they have not scored any points previously although the process can be lengthy and stressful - but do try to hang on in there ! 

I would really encourage you to challenge the decision even if you feel that you do not have the energy or impetus to do so.  Have a look at and this page from citizens advice to see if there is anything further you could add.  I think you mentioned you had help with the form from citizens advice but the best thing is to give real life examples of situations where you struggle  to carry out the PIP activities.  Show that you cannot carry out an activity for the majority of the time and that you cannot carry out an activity safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly and in a reasonable time period. 

I think the assessors comments in the report are shocking and I completely understand why you would find these comments upsetting. As well as challenging the DWP decision about your PIP you could also consider consider making a complaint to the assessment provider about how the assessment was carried out. Comments such as the ones you describe are not acceptable. 

How do you feel about your pregnancy ? It can be exciting and stressful time in equal measure and no one person's experience is the same.  I really do wish you all the best.

If you'd like to have a look at the rest of the forum, you can find all the latest conversations in our recent discussions category, all the different topics in our categories page, and you can meet and chat with other members over in our virtual coffee lounge too.

Let us know if you need a hand with anything, and I hope you enjoy spending time here.

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • goonies009
    goonies009 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    hi hi guys thank so much for the advice and support I really appreciate it and I guess it’s one of those days where my hormones are playing havoc- I think the letter just upset me a lot and i have always put off applying due to the paperwork etc I have had some help from cab however it’s been limited and I will hopefully take this further but just the whole process is so damaging at times and again thank you for your kind messages it’s good to know you totally get it x 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @goonies009 and welcome from me, I'm glad we've been able to help you feel supported, so don't hesitate to reach out for help in future if you need to :)

As you say, this can be a very stressful and damaging process at times, so it's important to make sure you're getting the support you need, both physically and mentally.

If the community can act as a support for you then that's all the better, and I'd encourage you to continue to reach out to loved ones, and any professionals involved in your care, especially with a little one on the way. 

Keep in touch with CAB for support with your MR, and if anything else comes up in the meantime let us know. 

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.