Having a bad week - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Having a bad week

Options
2»

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm so sorry @janer1967 I didn't mean to insinuate that I thought Toby was your carer. Young Carer's isn't just for those with direct caring responsibilities, it's in recognition of the challenges young people face when living with a family member that's disabled. So like for me, my brother's disabilities really limited days out and places we could go, both because of accessibility and because finances were tight growing up because both my parents couldn't work as one was caring for him. I didn't care for my brother or have obvious caring duties etc. And the 'care' I did give him I never once saw as care because I loved him and it is just stuff you do for family and the people you love. I'd never have considered myself a carer and I know many of the others that attended felt guilty being called such. It's a bit of a stupid name for the group in some ways!!
    I just thought he'd be able to hang out with other people his age that wouldn't be as cruel as his 'friends' <3 

Honestly though, the fact he even told you what's going on speaks wonders for your relationship and how strong your bond is <3 You're an amazing mum
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Biblioklept I understand where you were coming from and no offence taken and welcome the suggestion 

He may not be my carer buf he is my rock and I will do anything I can to support him . I owe him my life as he rang 999 when I went into coma with sepsis which is another event he is now recalling and on his mind and something you wouldn't really want your 10 year old to witness 

My proudest mummy moments was when he was awarded a bravery award by ambulance service . 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That must have been so scary for both of you I can't even imagine @janer1967!! What a brave boy you have <3 

Have you had any updates on your mum?
  • Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Options
    @janer1967 my youngest is 20 and when he was roughly 17 he just seemed to well not be himself and I just knew their was more too it than a moody teenager. As I have two sons so was experienced in the teenage boy hormones.

My son like your Toby was getting a hard time from so called friends and what I did when I realised he either was not willing to talk or just unable to express his emotions I bought him a note book and put it in his room with a letter saying Hi son as you know I love you and I'm worried about you, I realise something is unsettling you and it is breaking my heart that you cannot talk me. I was wondering if you want and only if you want no pressure, but if you feel up to it maybe write down how your feeling and I reply with a letter.

This worked as I got a long letter and we sorted it all out and I'm happy to say that my son is now 20 and has  found out who his true  friends are and more importantly he is who he is and very proud of who he is. He is in a wonderful relationship with his boyfriend with the full support of his family and friends ❤

With support anything is possible the problem is, it's trying to persuade a young mind that we have their back and are not too old to not understand the presuures of being a teenager. I'm so glad that Toby can talk to you.

A notebook for my sons feelings helped him put down on paper what he found hard to say in words. 

I hope you and Toby get through this tough patch.
    Sending you both virtual hugs 🤗
    Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 393 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Janer
    I am so sorry to hear you have had a tough week. I hope you can manage to get at least something sorted out. 

CSno01
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Counciling may help but he needs to want to do and there are long waiting lists do they have a facility in his school where Toby can talk to someone would Toby talk to the dr about how he is feeling the dr could get help and support .

If those boys go in the garden you should phone the police thats harassment . Is Toby still with his girlfriend  its a worrying time for you @janer1967
  • janer1967
    Options
    @Binky1234 thanks that's a great idea 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How are things going for you at the moment @janer1967? I hope things are going better for you. If we can do anything to help though please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • janer1967
    Options
    Things are sorting themselves out @L_Volunteer after another bad week with tobys gf dumping hum 

He is coming ti terms with it now made sure he had a busy weekend 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've just been catching up @janer1967 as I was away when you posted this, I'm glad at least that Toby feels comfortable enough to be open with you and talk about his worries, that can be quite a rare thing. I'm sure you are doing more than enough for him, and he knows that. 

Keeping busy always helps during a difficult time like a break up, I know it's cliché, but time really is a healer there :) 

If you were looking for support around counselling for Toby in future, I'd encourage you/him to visit Young Minds, as well as talking to the school as others have helpfully suggested.

Take care this evening :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hope everything goes well for you and Toby @janer1967.

if it’s any consolation my eldest has been having a lot of trouble with his girlfriend which has led him to some counselling recently...and he’s thirty five! Still my child though and still causes me to worry. I don’t think a caring parent ever really stops worrying about their children no matter how old.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    Options
    @leeCal thanks for that and sorry your son is having issues too 

I'm hoping toby is married off by then I've retired to Spain but your right will still worry about him 

I never signed up for being a single parent but hard as it can be we have each others back 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.