What's the biggest misconception people hold about you? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What's the biggest misconception people hold about you?

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
A misconception is a view based on incorrect assumptions or information. 

What's the biggest misconception people hold about you?

Do you think disability can affect people's perceptions of you? For example, if you're a disabled person, or a carer of a disabled person.
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Comments

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Tori,
    Your question reminds me of when I started my studies with the Open University (I started a psychology course, but had to change to IT when I was medically discharged (from the RN)).
    The 1st module had 3 themes:
    Local and global
    Private and public
    Representation and reality
    The third theme, representation and reality, I align to your question of misconception.
    The representation is that I`m an able bodied person but the reality is that I have several medical conditions, two of which can be quite debilitating.
    Unfortunately, the majority of people judge a book by the cover instead of opening the book in an attempt to understand the contents.
    Andy
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What a good question Tori! :)

I think disability certainly can affect people's perceptions yes, I've had people express surprise when they find out I have CP- or otherwise, when they know I have CP and I tell them about myself, my work/hobbies etc.

I think a common misconception for me is around driving, people are always fascinated by how I drive as a part time wheelchair user.

Other things include my liking for gaming, perhaps because I'm a woman. I hope it's changing, but there used to be a  big misconception about gaming only being for teenage boys. 

I think we each experience different misconceptions, and have our own misconceptions of others based on all sorts of factors, and disability can be a big or small part of that, depending on how much it's a part of our identity.

I'd love to know what other people think :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That I’m ignorant, this is so untrue. I am very kind and caring when I’m chilled out, I can get quite stressed when I’ve got loads of things to do or something hasn’t gone the way I predicted. They also presume this from the way I write a message, I’d rather be down to earth so people can understand what I am saying more. This is all due to one of my disabilities.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,697 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mine is that I'm unfriendly

This occurs as a direct result of my "disability"

That is completely untrue though, just I find it really hard to talk to people in person, so will often come across as "short" or "aloof" when really I just don't know what to say!!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Most people think I'm tight with money, the truth being that I'm just cautious and would give you my last penny if I thought you needed it more than me.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    would give you my last penny if I thought you needed it more than me.
    Absolutely spot on!
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,434 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
          Me too @woodbine, my daughter in law thinks I'm downright miserable with money and that I am just mean... She forgets the times I helped out with large purchases without being asked.  :/

• wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Pioneering
    Options
    That because I speak with a scouse accent that I'm a thief! The most common biggest misconception about being a scouser. The all too common saying 'oh better watch my car around you I might come back to it propped up on bricks' or 'if it isn't tied down you migh walk off with it' then when I don't laugh at their NONE funny assumption about ME as a person they say 'where's your sense of humour' I'm SO FED UP WITH IT! A doctor once tried to make a joke out of it and when I challenged him about it and stated 'how is that funny?' it went a deathly silent. Then the question is asked 'oh what part of liverpool do you come from? and when you say TOXTETH they either change the subject or out jumps 'isn't that where the riots happened!?' 
    So sick of it. The prejudice shows itself in it's full glory especially in a work environment.
  • Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    I love this question @Tori_Scope!!! Thank you for asking and bringing up such a relevant topic for disabled people!! I sense the assumption from certain people that I don’t deserve to be in a romantic relationship, or that I am not allowed to go on a date with someone, or that I don’t have any desire to find love. In the past some family members have projected the attitude that a person with a disability does not have any right to have children, or explore their sexuality, which I found very unfair, disrespectful and traumatising. I believe everyone deserves to feel accepted and loved… 

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    wendy41 said:
    That because I speak with a scouse accent that I'm a thief! The most common biggest misconception about being a scouser. The all too common saying 'oh better watch my car around you I might come back to it propped up on bricks' or 'if it isn't tied down you migh walk off with it' then when I don't laugh at their NONE funny assumption about ME as a person they say 'where's your sense of humour' I'm SO FED UP WITH IT! A doctor once tried to make a joke out of it and when I challenged him about it and stated 'how is that funny?' it went a deathly silent. Then the question is asked 'oh what part of liverpool do you come from? and when you say TOXTETH they either change the subject or out jumps 'isn't that where the riots happened!?' 
    So sick of it. The prejudice shows itself in it's full glory especially in a work environment.
    Hi,
    Scousers are portrayed as thieving scallies.
    Cockney`s are portrayed as wide boys.
    Manchunians are portrayed as thugs (I`m Manchunian and about as much as a thug as a slug attacking a lettuce).
    Geordies are portrayed as football hooligans.
    The list goes on.
    No point letting generalisations spoil your (your as in general, not your as in specifically) day, I don`t.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for the positive feedback on the question, all! 

Thanks also for your thoughtful and insightful comments. I'm sorry to hear that so many of you have faced negative misconceptions. 

I suppose my next question would be around how you react to these misconceptions? 

And what do you think needs to change to prevent these misconceptions being so widely held?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    People think I’m quite posh when I’m really as common as muck. 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,434 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
                   Someone once called me a snob @Karen7788 is that the same as posh  :/ my daughter laughed that much she had bubbles coming out of her nose  :joy:
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    People think I'm fat I'm just not tall enough 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    People think I’m overweight because I eat too much when actually It’s the meds I’m on. Within six months of being on them I weighed two stone more, I’m now four stone overweight due to the previous meds I was on. Nightmare. I’m now on a self imposed very low calorie diet. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,832 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I really don't know what people think about me directly,
    Be intresting to know. 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've only just thought to look at this post, because i don't know ha ha 
    Some one did once say to me when they meet me face to face - oh i thought you were younger ha ha mmmmmm

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,697 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    People think I'm fat I'm just not tall enough 
    Ha ha that's funny

If I was tall enough I'd be the worlds tallest person
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
                   Someone once called me a snob @Karen7788 is that the same as posh  :/ my daughter laughed that much she had bubbles coming out of her nose  :joy:
    I honestly don’t know why they thought I was posh, it was the mums at school, my friend told me, laughing their head off. I think it’s because of my manners, it’s the way I was brought up. I’m proud of being common.
  • ta_x
    ta_x Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    edited September 2022
    Options
    . . . . that I have no friends.  It's simply that the people who care aren't pretending, so there often isn't a big show for others to see.  I'd rather have a few real friends, than many fake acquaintances. . . . ta.x.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.