What's the biggest misconception people hold about you? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What's the biggest misconception people hold about you?

Options
2»

Comments

• wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    How I react to the misconceptions; well when they laugh I simply ask them what is funny about you assuming that because I'm a scouser that it deems me a thief? You make the assumption based on hearsay or what you read and it's a bit like saying you're sleeping with your best friends wife! That soon removes the smile to a  :open_mouth:
  • emberkid
    emberkid Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Options
    People assume because of my autism that I must be intellectually disabled.  Because I have a hard time with eye contact and struggle to know what to say in conversations, it makes people think I’m not very bright, when in fact I have a verbal IQ of 141.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,925 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @emberkid I have found exactly the same r.e. people thinking I'm not very clever, yet my IQ is meant to be similar to yours (that said I am unsure whether I believe in the tests so haven't taken one for over 10 years). I have found you can use this to your advantage sometimes, it's sometimes convenient for people to think you are a bit "simple"!!
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,657 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    One of the most frustrating ones for me is that people think I choose to have debilitating anxiety symptoms and could just turn them off to attend their event or a medical setting.  :|

People also regularly assume that I must enjoy being at home (and by that logic, the Covid lockdowns) because I'm agoraphobic.  Not true at all, I wish I could be out experiencing all sorts of places!!

On a lighter note, people that I've met in real life after chatting on forums for a while assume that I'm never going to shut-up, the reality is they really have to put in some effort to coax a few words out of me in the real world.  :D
  • SBSpIMuleX
    SBSpIMuleX Scope Member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    oh a got a few, the worst 1 is because all my issues are not viable, for example i have aspergers, autism, anxiety, depression, bipolar, adhd and ive been signed off long term for about 4-5 yeard and get annual assesments and they jut ask me or my parents why am i work shy or why are you doing what ou do as there is notihng wrong with you and your just lazy" on a lighter note i get told because of how i look and act that people think im in my 20s or 30s rather then 40 and i still get asked for proff of age now and again, also people never really no what the real me is like as i like to put on an act all the time and act as the comedian or joker as if u appear happy and  alaugh people will leave you alone and not bother or fuss you rathr then how something is wrong, people also think due to this that im succh a laugh and must be so popular when i only actually have 2 real freinds and never meet u or go out with people and always go places on my own and stay away on my own

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.