Why are long-term relationships so hard to find, even though you want one in real life, yet you were — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why are long-term relationships so hard to find, even though you want one in real life, yet you were

Options
Katiedimelow20
Katiedimelow20 Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
I haven't had much luck really meeting guys who share my interests. Most of the guys I did meet were either not interested in relationships or had girlfriends. That puts me off. I'm not a fan of tall guys. On shorter, I am. Other guys I did meet included my ex-boyfriend in person. My own knowledge of certain online dating. Dating with a disability has been wasted. I tried using Facebook for dating and got a little lucky when I messaged one guy after blocking another who had lead me on. I am aware that I am more unique than some girls or ladies. I'm not interested in having sex or hooking up. I'm aware that many men will take advantage of me or deceive me with ex-boyfriends in an effort to teach them a lesson the hard way and cause them to lose a respectable woman in the process.

Comments

• Leo_Aces
    Leo_Aces Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 104 Courageous
    Options
    Hey @Katiedimelow20 😊 

Lots of people can probably relate to your post. Finding a long term relationship can be tricky to navigate. Online dating can definitely sometimes feel like people are more interested in hook ups. I’m sorry to hear that haven’t had much luck and that some guys already had girlfriends. 

I see that you have experienced Facebook Dating. Have you considered other websites or apps?

Unfortunately there is always a risk for everyone when it comes to being taken advantage of, no matter ability or gender. The important thing is to always be aware and check in with yourself regularly about how interacting with the other person makes you feel .

Hope this helps ♠️

♠️Community Volunteer Advisor ♠️

I’m a Speaker and Life Coach.

I have professional knowledge of Gender Identity & Sexuality  

I coach people with all abilities to guide them to realise their potential and feel empowered 

My background is Person Centred and Transactional therapy 

➡️Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.⬅️

• Katiedimelow20
    Options
    @Leo_Aces yes, I have tried other disabled dating and was not good to pay for even messages and did try to join learning disability but wasn't successful. Facebook dating has been hit and missed. It was easy to use and did find one guy through Facebook dating that did learning disability. 
  • Leo_Aces
    Options
    Unfortunately I don’t have much experience with dating sites specifically for people with learning disabilities. Have you considered trying Bumble? I believe it’s a little different to other apps as women decide who to start a conversation with. 
    (Just to say, in no way am I promoting Bumble, I’m just referencing personal experience)

I coach people with all abilities to guide them to realise their potential and feel empowered 

➡️Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.⬅️

• Katiedimelow20
    Options
    @Leo_Aces I also has trouble bumble but didn’t get anyone with learning disabilities but did get a lot rude men that I was only looking for learning disability men.
  • Leo_Aces
    Options
    I’m so very sorry to hear that. Perhaps some other members of the community may have suggestions on other suitable sites 

• Katiedimelow20
    Options
    @Leo_Aces I also look on scope form for online dating for learning disabilities. Had and missed feeling for dating sites for learning disabilities . Some people said that Facebook dating is ok and easy to set up . 
  • Leo_Aces
    Options
    @Katiedimelow20 you’ve probably read this already but this thread might be helpful https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/31721/check-out-our-new-dating-and-sex-tips#latest

• Katiedimelow20
    Options
    @Leo_Aces already did read it and is not in my interest. 
  • Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Options
    I don't know your disability but have you tried joining local groups in your area for people with your disability.

I'm in a pain management group and I know a few have became friends and one pair in particular their friendship led them to go onto being in a relationship, I would say that they're approximately late 40s early 50s.

Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • Katiedimelow20
    Options
    @Binky1234 I don't have a physical disability but do have a learning disability that is one of rarest called 18-p.  I can't find any group with learning disability. 
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Katiedimelow20,
    I met my husband in a museum cafe, we got chatting, become friends and we’ve now been married for years. Don’t think of it as meeting a man, just think of ways to meet people, adult learning classes in you local college is a good way, local clubs, libraries Just try and get out and about if you can but always use measures to stay safe.
    Good luck and don’t give up hope.
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, I think the best to find a man you will need to get out of this island ( I mean completely out of UK ). Here hardy anyone is thinking about serious relationship, everyone wants to have a fun. 
  • Katiedimelow20
    Options
    @Karen7788 I  couldn’t go by myself and I always had to have a person with me if I am ok going out to a public. I already graduation from college.college wasn’t very good with previous relationships that I did have with in college. Even some friendships wasn’t good. I tried some local club . They not many learning disability groups or clubs.I also don’t like loud noises. 
  • Katiedimelow20
    Options
    @iza. I can’t drive, have to take the buses , my mum will refuse to travel by airplane to get a date or drive down south .  I am stuck in england l
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    iza said:
    Hi, I think the best to find a man you will need to get out of this island ( I mean completely out of UK ). Here hardy anyone is thinking about serious relationship, everyone wants to have a fun. 
    You can have fun in a serious relationship, the single men I work with would love to be in a serious relationship. 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Bless you @Katiedimelow20 I don't know if you know of solo or any other groups like that in your area, 
    I had a lovely young lady work for me, she is 40 with learning difficulties, she is a member of our local solo group, they have meet ups every week with different activities and disco's. She is now engaged, so please don't give up there is some one out there for you.
    I just worry about people meeting up with people they communicate and have never meet on face book, so please be careful.
  • Katiedimelow20
    edited September 2022
    Options
    @SueHeath I don’t know any other social events near my town that is medium to big town . Is a ruby town . Tried other groups I different town . One city and hasn’t any luck with finding single men just be guys that  girlfriend. 
  • Katiedimelow20
    Options
    @Karen7788 I am 24 year old. . I am not sure. I am not interested In very older guys.
  • iza
    edited September 2022
    Options
    @Katiedimelow20, sorry to hear you cannot travel, but my personal feelings tell me that men  in this country really do not want to have a proper relationships. No offences,  but this island may not be in good aura for love however  for fun this island 🏝 is a place number 1. 
  • iza
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hi @Karen7788, if that is the case can you please find me a perfect match? The man must be intelligent, open minded, good in the heart and love to cuddle and be able to firmly  hold my hand. In November will pass exactly 7 years since I am single and I think for me is a perfect time for love to come.  Do you have a men like that? I don’t think I have complicated expectations. Do I ? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.