If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finish the sentence, part 1!

Options
124»

Comments

• Maurice123
    Maurice123 Community member Posts: 103 Courageous
    Options
    I am sorry that so many people are treated badly. I am lucky enough for four people to carry me up four steps to my local pub, and different people carry me down again. Not everybody would want to go to a pub though
  • peteskinner
    peteskinner Community member Posts: 50 Connected
    Options
    Hi Annie yes I know the feeling, life can be pretty uncomfortable tc 
  • TerryG
    TerryG Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Options
    GUILTY 

A lot of people who have issues are constantly questioned,assessed by people who have no medical qualification in the area,areas each individual suffer from.
    They generalise conditions to how they see them themselves,or by what's written in a book.
    A lot of disabled people constantly have there integrity questioned,to where they have feelings of guilt over taking benefits,asking for help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,504 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's a good point @terryg :) I imagine many others feel the same as you, unfortunately! Blame is often unfairly and inaccurately placed on disabled people, and little room is left for listening, learning, and understanding.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • J2R2J
    J2R2J Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    Being different in any way is often a trigger for Doubting Thomas’s to assume a fault somewhere. I have reasons to believe it is opportunistic degrading used by some who have to tread on others to feel better in themselves.

There is no reason for someone to be seen at fault for being different, so it is not a misjudgement, it is fuelled by distorted views and the opportunity to use someone as a stepping stone.

I’ve been treated like this but managed to rise above the many who put me down, so like a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, these bullies (or whatever) become the weakest link and are trying to bring others down to below their level.

Just like how cowards on The Weakest Link use the power of the vote and look for opportunities to justify their decision to make the strongest look the weakest.

There is no substance in undermining anyone like this, irrespective of whether they are different and capable or different and need help.

These bullies are as different to you as you are to them. Would they like to be seen as different?
  • Maurice123
    Maurice123 Community member Posts: 103 Courageous
    Options
    I think that Stephen Hawking was a bit of a bully, but he was a very clever man who proved his intellect was superior to most people. He contributed to the world of science in a way that most of us will never achieve and managed it despite crippling injuries. Just because you are disabled you are not stupid. 
  • Jaynique
    Jaynique Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Disabled doesn’t mean:

*That we are Invisible 

*That we are Unworthy

*That we lack substance 

*That we are Extinct or ‘Too Far Gone’

We’re are disabled not dead! 

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks everyone for continuing to contribute to this thread. You have all raised some really key points  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,884 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We aren't like an able bodied person. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.