Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Help. Does anyone know if I can get a hardship grant or loan today?

Options
louise_tivenan
louise_tivenan Community member Posts: 25 Listener
Does anyone know if I can get a hardship grant or loan today 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,230 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Looking at your other thread here https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/98356/esa-advances#latest i see you've claimed New style ESA, as advised in the other thread you will not be able to claim any advance payments or hardship payments while waiting a decision on this claim.
    Please check entitlement to Universal Credit by using a benefits calculator. If you live with a partner you'll need to claim as a couple and your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=bb4eff35-4403-49d8-9a6b-b9d3afb96ffb

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • louise_tivenan
    Options
    ive done this and esa said no 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I note from another thread that you are a student. If it's a full time course then students can only claim Universal Credit in specific circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,507 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @louise_tivenan :) Have you asked your college or university whether they have a hardship fund you could access? I'm aware that there was one at the university I attended.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • louise_tivenan
    Options
    hi yes im waiting on it though it could take over 2 weeks and now universal credit have taken 400 a month off me its getting worse dont know what to do 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    now universal credit have taken 400 a month off me its getting worse dont know what to do 

Is that for a student maintenance loan or for the New style ESA that you're claiming?
  • louise_tivenan
    Options
    ive been turned down for esa and im waiting for maintenance to be approved 
  • louise_tivenan
    Options
    theres got be some sort of emergency payment im entitled to whilst waiting for student finance and dsa surely they wouldnt just leave you with nothing surely would they 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Are you a full time time student? If so do you have children on your UC claim? Full time students can only claim UC in very specific circumstances. Full details here. https://askcpag.org.uk/content/207854/universal-credit-and-disabled-students-an-update
    Your student maintenance loan will be taken into consideration when calculating your UC entitlement. If you've received your first payment of UC then you will no longer be able to claim a new claim advance payment.
    To be entitled to a budgeting advance you need to have been claiming a qualifying means tested benefit for at least 6 months.

• louise_tivenan
    Options
    already claiming uc they wont do anything
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Did you receive your maintenance loan? If your UC is a new claim then you could have asked for an advance payment. 
    If you’ve had your first payment then you will be out of time to request that advance payment. 
  • louise_tivenan
    Options
    not yet no and ive been on high end uc for over 4 years and they know my situation aswell about my mum passing away well the hospiotal have told me my dad isnt in best shape and to make sure he has a good xmas which is nice of them i cant get there he lives in derby thats miles away from me plus my conditions make it impossible yto travel on public transport but nobody listening 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I don’t understand what you mean by this.
    ive been on high end uc for over 4 years
    Do you mean LCWRA? 
    I’m sorry about your situation. Do you have anyone that can take you to see your dad? 
    You can ask for a budgeting advance but if you already have another budgeting loan outstanding then you won’t be able to receive another. 
  • louise_tivenan
    Options
    FINALLY GOT ACCEPTED FOR PIP AND MAINTENANCE BUT NOW THE UNI IS STOPPING ME GETTING ANY PAYMENTS STUDENT FINANCE WILL NOT RELEASE A HARDSHIP PAYMENT UNLESS THE INI CONFIRMS MY COURSE IM GOING BE HOMELESS AND THE UNI KNOWS THIS
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Why are the Uni stopping you from receiving your maintenance loan?
  • louise_tivenan
    Options
    there saying because i havent started my course yet i start on 4th february but the whole point of a hardship payment is because of hardship they just seem to be putting up walls left right and centre and just aint willing to support me in any way or form its making me not want study with them student finance have told me make a complaint
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I can see why student finance can't help because you haven't started your course yet. Usually students will receive their first maintenance loan once they start the course.

Are you claim any benefits such Universal Credit in the meantime?
  • louise_tivenan
    Options
    yes and ive started my course now but student fees are still rejecting my every application i feel like im being discriminated against for mental health issues
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @louise_tivenan are you in touch with Disability Services at your university?

Perhaps you could speak with them about how you're being made to feel at the moment, and ask if they would be able to support you with managing money, or possibly in making a complaint. 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • louise_tivenan
    Options
    Hi alex i am supposed to be in touch with disability but i havent got a clue what person is from where and who to contact etc im supposed to be getting extra support but clearly this is not happening ive already made a complaint but ive heard nothing its starting to affect me mentally when i got upset there idea of sorting it out was trying to kick me off the course but thats the worst thing they could do i dont even know who it was i spoke to and what department im so confused im behind on my module i dont understand social science its not the module i wanted do but i got no other option but darent change as my student loan is meant to be paid this week and im still being refused help from the university financially im in serious arrears with rent but nobody seems to want to help my tutor just tells me its not her problem in so many words its making me feel stupid like i shouldnt of started university in the first place, when i was with university of essex there disability department was fantastic but i had to change because i couldnt get maintenance loan studying with them. But the open university just dont seem to be bothered about helping people with disabilities its making me want to stop altogether but i really want to do the course dsa have assessed me to have extra support but the university just havent bothered at all i dont know what to do.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.