Hi, my name is Jaguar300! Has managed migration of legacy benefits stopped until 2028? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Jaguar300! Has managed migration of legacy benefits stopped until 2028?

Options
Jaguar300
Jaguar300 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
edited November 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello All.

Has Managed Migration of Legacy Benefits stopped until 2028?

Myself is receiving Income Related ESA.

Does this mean that although the Transfering of Legacy Benefits to UC was due to be Completed by 2024, are the DWP still Transfering as many Claimants as they can up to 2024, or has it been Stopped Completely until a Full Restart in 2028?

Please let me know if you wish as its quite confusing of how issues are worded by the DWP.

I will be most grateful.
Thank you all.
Tagged:

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you are only receiving income-related ESA then yes, 2028 is when you will be moved over by (hopefully). If you receive Tax Credits or Housing Benefit you will be moved over before 2024.
  • Jaguar300
    Options
    Many thanks for your help.
    Sadly I didn't mention that I am receiving Housing Benefit as well.
    My mind was just focused on the Transfer of Legacy Benefits. (ESA) to (UC).
    Myself will just have to worry like many others about the Letter I will receive from the DWP between now and 2024 to be Transferred.
    Unfortunately, the worry is now than the worry in 6yrs time.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    bg844 said:
    If you are only receiving income-related ESA then yes, 2028 is when you will be moved over by (hopefully). If you receive Tax Credits or Housing Benefit you will be moved over before 2024.
    I’m not sure that’s correct for those claiming just housing benefit and ESA. I’ve not seen anything that suggests otherwise. 
    Tax credits are phasing out unlike housing benefit, which will still be continuing for pension age and those that are in temporary or supported housing. 
    The whole point of delaying the managed migration for those claiming ESA is for the Government to save money. Unless your ESA includes the SDP then LCWRA for UC pays more than ESA Support Group. Which is the reason for the delay.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jaguar300
    Options
    Many thanks Poppy123456.
    Okay.
    This is what I receive all together.
    ESA, Support Group.
    Housing Benefit.
    Council Tax Benefit.
    Thats it.

• poppy123456
    Options
    My advice is still the same. Also for you then LCWRA for UC pays more than ESA Support Group. LCWRA element £354.28 and standard element (single over 25) £334.91. Total £689.19/month, (plus housing element on top)
    ESA Support Group £135.50/week x 52/12 = £587/month.
    However, you should never just claim UC without first using a benefits calculator to check you will definitely be better off switching.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Jaguar300
    Options
    My ESA Support Group each week is £135.35.
    As we're all aware its Paid Every Two Weeks.
    So as it stands, I receive £270.70 each fortnight.
    I'm single and will not be 60 years of age until next year.

However, as of the information I have read on different Forums in reference to the Nightmare on UC, I have decided to stay put, and wait until the Dreaded Letter from the DWP for them to make me switch.

Before this happens, I suspect I will be receiving a letter to be Reassessed either to Attend another Face to Face Assessment or a Telephone Assessment.

• poppy123456
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Just found confirmation that the managed migration being pushed back for those claiming Income Related ESA, those claiming tax credits are excluded from this, as i suspected. Those claiming HB as well as ESA will be pushed back.
    5.15 Employment and Support Allowance: delay managed move - The government is pushing back the managed migration of claimants on income-related Employment and Support Allowance (with the exception of those receiving Child Tax Credit) to UC to 2028. Employment and Support Allowance claimants are still able to make a claim for UC if they believe that they will be better off, and this will not affect the managed migration of other legacy benefits onto UC.

• Jaguar300
    Options
    Hi Poppy 123456.

Many thanks again for your feedback.

Very late last night, I clicked on to the Government Website. Funny thing, what you have posted here is what I looked at their Budget Statement.

I skipped through the 70 pages just to get to the 5.15 bit.
    It doesn't mention that any Claimant that is receiving ESA and H Benefit or the combination of both will be Exempt from the Pushing Back to the Migration Process of 2028?

Hopefully now I will rest a little that I or anyone else will not be Transferred to UC before the end of 2024.
    Speak soon.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @Jaguar300. It is the very least you deserve. 

How did you find clicking on the Government website? We are here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us. 

It sounds positive that you feel you might be able to rest a little now. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you would like to discuss this further with us though  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Jaguar300
    Options
    Hi.

Gov.uk is what I already have Bookmarked.
    They have all the information contained within what they do/say. The Autumn Budget Statement. Legacy Benefits Migration Postponed until 2028.        ( Clarification is needed by the DWP ).

The migration of all other ‘legacy’ benefit claimants (including those who are receiving IR-ESA and CTC will Go Ahead as Planned (2024).
    This was posted on B&W.

So, it looks highly likely that not all Claimants receiving ESA will be Transferred to UC in 2028.
    Myself is receiving ESA and HB/CTC or Council Tax Benefit if that's what you like to call it.
    So as it stands, because I receive as above, my Migration to UC will Go Ahead by 2024.

As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing straight forward in any Policies or Statements this Government makes.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Jaguar300 said:
    Myself is receiving ESA and HB/CTC or Council Tax Benefit if that's what you like to call it.
    So as it stands, because I receive as above, my Migration to UC will Go Ahead by 2024.
    I believe you are misreading it. I agree with poppy that because you are on I-ESA and not getting a Tax Credits managed migration for you has been deferred for completion by 2028. As poppy also says you are likely to get more benefit income under UC,  which is the reason government are delaying the migration (to save money).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Jaguar300 said:

So, it looks highly likely that not all Claimants receiving ESA will be Transferred to UC in 2028.

That's not correct and you've misunderstood it. You are not recieving Tax Credits so you will not be asked to claim UC until 2028, unless a change of circumstances prompts a move across before then. However, you would be about £100 better off each month by moving to UC.
  • Jaguar300
    Options
    Many thanks to Calcotti and Poppy123456.

As you both have mentioned that I have Misunderstood it.
    I hope that this is the case.
    I will be so happy staying put and Not being Transferred to UC until 2028.

As everyone is aware of this Nightmare being placed on to UC. I've seen and heard of it on the News, including what's been posted on different Websites.
    Myself is Registered with B&W, and I have only just started with Scope.
    Each and everyone is very kind and helpful to each other.

I've always been grateful for Advice given by all, and this will continue as always.
    Many thanks again.
    Speak soon.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    UC isn't perfect by any means but remember, you will mostly only read the bad stories and lots of people claim it without any problems at all.
  • Jaguar300
    Options
    Looking at it as you said Poppy.
    Yes, there are usually more posts of how bad UC is than not.
    Myself like many others will just have to deal with it as it comes.
    Hopefully in 6yrs time.
  • calcotti
    Options
    Jaguar300 said:
    Looking at it as you said Poppy.
    Yes, there are usually more posts of how bad UC is than not.
    Myself like many others will just have to deal with it as it comes.
    Hopefully in 6yrs time.
    Do take note of what has been said that during this time you may have missed out on a significant amount of financial support - although I appreciate that is not the only consideration.

The government believe the delay will save them a lot of money which would otherwise be paid to benefit claimants.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Jaguar300
    Options
    Many thanks Calcotti for your kind comments.

I will sit tight and wait for the DWP to contact me whenever they decide to do so.
    I'm continuing to receive ESA Support Group. A Review was due when Covid Struck. This as we were all aware put a Backlog on the DWP.
    As far as I'm aware, when I am Requested by the DWP to either Attend another WCA or an Over the Phone Assessment, this will change my Circumstances and automatically be Placed on UC/ESA. Depending on the Outcome of that Assessment.

All comments on here as well as other Forums are very welcoming.
    Thanks again.

• poppy123456
    Options
    Jaguar300 said:
    As far as I'm aware, when I am Requested by the DWP to either Attend another WCA or an Over the Phone Assessment, this will change my Circumstances and automatically be Placed on UC/ESA. Depending on the Outcome of that Assessment.
    That’s not correct. This isn’t classed as a change of circumstances that would ever prompt a move to UC. 
    As we advised if you claimed UC while still in the Support Group you will be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just wanted to put a positive slant on this 

I have claimed uc for about 4 years never had a single problem from application to now.

All changes dealt with efficiently 

I'm sorry I'm not judging but why would you not move to uc when you will get more money than now especially with rising costs.  The money you are missing out on is a significant amount over time 
  • calcotti
    Options
    Jaguar300 said:
    As far as I'm aware, when I am Requested by the DWP to either Attend another WCA or an Over the Phone Assessment, this will change my Circumstances and automatically be Placed on UC/ESA.
    No it will not. While on ESA, a review of your WCA status will simply confirm whether or not you remain in the Support Group for ESA.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.