been awarded pip. do I still have to pay council tax? will I get extra housing payments?

KatieG
KatieG Community member Posts: 17 Listener
edited December 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
not sure how much I'm getting yet still waiting for the letter, but do I still have to pay council tax? also will I get extra housing payemnts towards my rent? thanks for any help.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing
    PIP does not automatically make any difference to your help with Council Tax or rent.

What other benefits do you claim/receive? Do you live alone or with others?
  • KatieG
    I live alone,someone I know doesn't have to pay council tax at all because they are on the high rates of pip with the mobility aspect.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing
    Just because someone you know doesn't have to pay any council tax this doesn't mean you don't. All local Authories have their own rules and it will also depend on your circumstances.
    As calcotti asked, do you currently claim any other benefits?

• calcotti
    edited December 2022
    KatieG said:
    I live alone,someone I know doesn't have to pay council tax at all because they are on the high rates of pip with the mobility aspect.
    Just because they pay no CT and are receiving PIP doesn’t mean that the PIP is the reason.
  • KatieG
    edited December 2022
    Just because someone you know doesn't have to pay any council tax this doesn't mean you don't. All local Authories have their own rules and it will also depend on your circumstances.
    As calcotti asked, do you currently claim any other benefits?

I am on Universal credit ,will I be able to get a bus pass? oh and what other reason would they not pay council tax?
  • poppy123456
    For the disabled bus pass it will depend on what PIP award you have and/or the criteria set by your local Authority. https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-disabled-bus-pass
    As advised about your council tax reduction, all local Authorities have their own rules so we can't advise on that.

• KatieG
    ok thanks but how am I supposed to find out? 
  • poppy123456
    KatieG said:

You need to wait to see what PIP award you have then contact your LA but as advised your PIP award doesn't automatically entitle you to more council tax reduction.
  • calcotti
    edited December 2022
    KatieG said:
    Apply for Council Tax Reduction (CTR) from your local authority. Most local authorities will then calculate your entitlement based on your UC entitlement. Very few local authorities have CTR schemes that cover all of the Council Tax liability for working age claimants (but a few local authorities do).

There will be some information about CTR on your local authority website. There should also be complete scheme details available (but I wouldn’t try and reading these - they are hundreds of pages of detailed regulations which are difficult to interpret).
  • KatieG
    calcotti said:
    KatieG said:
    Apply for Council Tax Reduction (CTR) from your local authority. Most local authorities will then calculate your entitlement based on your UC entitlement. Very few local authorities have CTR schemes that cover all of the Council Tax liability for working age claimants (but a few local authorities do).

There will be some information about CTR on your local authority website. There should also be complete scheme details available (but I wouldn’t try and reading these - they are hundreds of pages of detailed regulations which are difficult to interpret).
    can you find out for me I live in Wirral,I can't find any information.
  • poppy123456
    KatieG said:
    calcotti said:
    KatieG said:

There's some information here regarding Wirral local Authority and CTR. https://www.wirral.gov.uk/council-tax/get-money-your-bill
    If you don't currently claim CTR and the council tax is in your name then you can apply through the link i posted.

• KatieG
    KatieG said:
    calcotti said:
    KatieG said:

There's some information here regarding Wirral local Authority and CTR. https://www.wirral.gov.uk/council-tax/get-money-your-bill
    If you don't currently claim CTR and the council tax is in your name then you can apply through the link i posted.

I am on a council tax reduction being on Universal credit but do you think it’s worth filling in that form now that I’m on pip? Or might they charge me even more?
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2022
    As we advised, your PIP award won't automatically entitle you to more CTR. There's a disabled council tax band reduction but you'll need to contact your Local Authority for this. https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/discounts-for-disabled-people

Disabled Band Reduction Scheme

You may be eligible for the scheme if you live in a larger property than you would need if you or another occupant were not disabled.

If you qualify, your bill will be reduced to the next lowest Council Tax band. For example, if your property is in Band D, you’ll pay the Band C rate. If your home is already in the lowest band (Band A), you’ll get a 17% discount on your Council Tax bill instead.

You’ll have to show that you have either:

• an extra bathroom, kitchen or other room that you need for the disabled person
    • extra space inside the property for using a wheelchair

The property must be the main home of at least 1 disabled person. This can be an adult or a child - it does not have to be the person responsible for paying the Council Tax.

• KatieG
    can you also claim new style esa if your on UC and pip? 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,922 Championing
    @KatieG

You can only claim esa if you have paid the correct amount of ni contributions in the last 2 prev tax years and have a fit note 

You can claim both but there is no financial gain as the esa will be deducted from uc 

The advantage of new style esa is that it isn't means tested so you can have savings or partners earning not taken into account 
  • calcotti
    janer1967 said:
    You can only claim esa if you have paid the correct amount of ni contributions in the last 2 prev tax years and have a fit note 
    It’s not the last two previous tax years which would imply 2020-21 and 2021-22. It’s the last 2 tax years prior to the benefit year and a benefit year starts from the first Sunday in January. The relevant 2 years are therefore currently 2019-20 and 2020-21.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,922 Championing
    Sorry my error @calcotti
  • calcotti
    janer1967 said:
    Sorry my error @calcotti
    No need to apologise. It is confusing that benefit years and tax years don’t align (especially as changes to benefit rates take place in April, not January!).
  • KatieG
    can someone with anxiety/depression claim the severley mentally impaired part of the council tax discount application?
  • poppy123456
    Yes it's possible. You will need confirmation from a medical professional such as a GP. You will need to check your Local Authorities website for details how to claim.

Applying for the discount in England and Scotland

• Get a claim form from your council. You'll need to contact your local authority for a claim form to register for a council tax discount (find contact details via the Government's 'Apply for Council Tax Reduction' service).

• Then, you'll need a doctor's diagnosis. A registered medical practitioner must have diagnosed you as severely mentally impaired. In some cases you'll need to attach a written diagnosis to your claim – in others you just give your doctor's details and they'll be contacted for confirmation. GPs are not allowed to charge you for this certification.

• Fill the form in and send it off to your council. You may be asked to attach some supporting evidence, such as the doctor's diagnosis or evidence of eligibility for relevant benefits. 

Procedures vary by council, so if you want to know how long it will take for the discount to be applied, it's best to check with yours.