been awarded pip. do I still have to pay council tax? will I get extra housing payments?

2»

Comments

• JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,074 Championing
    edited January 2023
    PIP doesn't automatically entitled you to extra CT reductions, it depends on your local council, most most have no impact whatsoever. Regarding the Severe Mental Impairment Discount, it's supposed to be for people with Alzheimer's and Dementia, Parkinson's and Stroke people who are unlikely to recover and the condition usually has to be permanent . This is not the case for anxiety and depression even people with Schizophrenia and Bipolar don't normally get this discount. I know that the 4 local councils around where I live, only pay it for dementia, Alzheimer's and brain damage, there may be others but the damage to the mind. usually has to be serious. Mental Illness doesn't count, anxiety and depression isn't usually classed as permanent. In the majority of cases the mental impairment usually has a physical cause like a stroke etc but not always.
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 831 Championing
    edited January 2023
    I have Schizophrenia, Autism, ADHD and live in supported accomodation. I get CT reductions, however I don't get Severe Mental Impairment. Just the normal Council tax reduction scheme and 25% single person discount. I roughly pay £100 a year for council tax. PiP doesn't automatically make you eligible you have to apply directly to the council to get CT Reductions.
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,074 Championing
    edited January 2023
    Yeah @rubin16, my husband has  Severe Bipolar Disorder with recurrent episodes of Psychosis and gets enhanced PIP on both, but he cannot get the SMI, I know another person with Schizophrenia that's also been refused. Even though my husband can be violent and disruptive, it only counts if the Mental Impairment is usually though not always caused by an Organic Disease that affects the mind and basically causes either deterioration or the mind to stay the same, that is why mental health conditions don't count because they can improve, even if they don't.