ESA and PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and PIP

wattycz1
wattycz1 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
Apparently 4 months ago I filled in form for ESA I was told that I am in assessment phase and filled the form with medical information and what I can and cannot do told I would have to go for assessment and advised on the form I need wheelchair access  I have not had any communication from them as yet .
Also at the same time I contacted Pip to advise change in circumstances as my condition has got worse filled in form they sent and sent back with medical evidence .
I called both to see if forms received and they have been.  Regards to both I have not had any communication from them at all I am stressed with all this I have cerebrovascular disease memory impairment mental health issues and very limited mobility  I don't know what to do  

Thanks 

Comments

• wattycz1
    Approximately  not   apparently 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately both of these benefits can have long delays. PIP change of circumstance has no time that is has to be completed by and ESA is in big delays.
    Apart form keep ringing then you could get your MP involved

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @wattycz1

Sorry to hear that you're getting stressed with your benefits - I'm afraid you're certainly not alone!

CR is correct that there are unfortunately delays with both of the above. The target for the ESA assessments is 13 weeks, but has almost always taken longer than this, and could still be several months yet I'm afraid.

With the PIP supersession, these seem to vary quite considerably, so it may well be that badgering them, and particularly getting your MP involved may speed the decision up.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

• katherine1981
    katherine1981 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Yes been turned down for everything
  • wattycz1
    Thanks for the replies  after contacting them yet again and getting nowhere I have written to my MP here's hoping 
  • wattycz1
    Just received a call from ESA about assessment tomorrow and they have said that I don't need to attend assessment as my Doctor has sent in more evidence...is this a good thing??
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hi wattycz1

It probably is as they usually only waive the medical assessment if there is enough evidence to make a positive decision.

Good luck
    David

• wattycz1
    I have PIP assessment on 28th on leaflet it doesn't say what to bring regarding aids.. I use wheelchair and crutches the latter indoors or furniture walk what is best? 
  • CockneyRebel
    You do not need to bring any aids other than what you need to attend.

CR
  • wattycz1
    So just wheelchair as I will be going in taxi? 
  • CockneyRebel
    Yes if that is all you need. The assessment is mainly  about your functionality. They will be watching everything you do from the moment you get out of the taxi
    Good  luck

CR
  • wattycz1
    I have read the assesors guide although with my cerebrovascular disease and subjective memory impairment doubt that I will remember my wife is coming with me pushing me on chair as she does all the time. 
  • CockneyRebel
    Think before answering any questions, don't be rushed.
    when asked closed questions ie. "Can you..........."
    never answer "yes, but.............."
    the assessor stops listening at "YES"
    always answer "No, but............ "

CR

• wattycz1
    Got it although I can see my anxiety taking over I have problems with getting the right words out my wife is my rock and main support supervises everything I am doing this will be my 2nd assessment new application due to illness getting worse 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hi wattycz1,

Please make sure you or your wife tell them everything you can about your difficulties and what aids you need to use for each activity, or when aids are not enough and you need physical assistance from someone else, how much pain you are in and how long it takes you to do certain things if it is longer than you would expect. Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

Lee

• janece
    janece Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I have my pip assrsment end october and was wondering if i got a report of my problems would it help my case
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    @janece yes you'll need evidence to support your claim. Didn't you send any evidence when you sent the form back to them? If you didn't then take it with you to the assessment. Make sure you take copies only and not the original. As much evidence as possible.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Angeluk1
    Angeluk1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited September 2017
    Write to your MP E mail them for support and your evidence. Send all correspondence recorded delivery. Keep repeating yourself sending E mail. Ask for all your data access records and what medical evidence they have regarding your claim. They told me they had not enough evidence. Went for assessment they said they had 142 files on my medical evidence, fabrication to delay your claim.  Ask for a SAR. They have all your records. Record telephone calls, take names, times, ask where the place is they are situated (example Nottingham) always ask what team number they are too. Are they outreach or a team number? write it, log it in a diary every time you E mail, call, or write. Avoid if possible on the phone.  Also ask for a home assessment  Write to the home secretary A MUST for work and pensions and have a good read through this very wise man's blog. Hope it help's. Sure it will.http://whywaitforever.com/ Get a support letter from your doctor. Your consultants, get in touch with their secretary's asking them to support you via a letter or fax. Be consistent and get as much legal advice as you can. Good luck.  http://whywaitforever.com/dwpatos.html 

• 100clive
    100clive Community member Posts: 21 Listener
    the  but bit ---- was my downfall

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.