PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

ESA and PIP

wattycz1wattycz1 Member Posts: 31 Connected
Apparently 4 months ago I filled in form for ESA I was told that I am in assessment phase and filled the form with medical information and what I can and cannot do told I would have to go for assessment and advised on the form I need wheelchair access  I have not had any communication from them as yet .
Also at the same time I contacted Pip to advise change in circumstances as my condition has got worse filled in form they sent and sent back with medical evidence .
I called both to see if forms received and they have been.  Regards to both I have not had any communication from them at all I am stressed with all this I have cerebrovascular disease memory impairment mental health issues and very limited mobility  I don't know what to do  

Thanks 

Replies

• wattycz1wattycz1 Member Posts: 31 Connected
    Approximately  not   apparently 
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately both of these benefits can have long delays. PIP change of circumstance has no time that is has to be completed by and ESA is in big delays.
    Apart form keep ringing then you could get your MP involved

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

Hi @wattycz1

Sorry to hear that you're getting stressed with your benefits - I'm afraid you're certainly not alone!

CR is correct that there are unfortunately delays with both of the above. The target for the ESA assessments is 13 weeks, but has almost always taken longer than this, and could still be several months yet I'm afraid.

With the PIP supersession, these seem to vary quite considerably, so it may well be that badgering them, and particularly getting your MP involved may speed the decision up.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • katherine1981katherine1981 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Yes been turned down for everything
    Thanks for the replies  after contacting them yet again and getting nowhere I have written to my MP here's hoping 
    Just received a call from ESA about assessment tomorrow and they have said that I don't need to attend assessment as my Doctor has sent in more evidence...is this a good thing??
    Hi wattycz1

It probably is as they usually only waive the medical assessment if there is enough evidence to make a positive decision.

Good luck
    David
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
    I have PIP assessment on 28th on leaflet it doesn't say what to bring regarding aids.. I use wheelchair and crutches the latter indoors or furniture walk what is best? 
    You do not need to bring any aids other than what you need to attend.

CR
    So just wheelchair as I will be going in taxi? 
    Yes if that is all you need. The assessment is mainly  about your functionality. They will be watching everything you do from the moment you get out of the taxi
    Good  luck

CR
    I have read the assesors guide although with my cerebrovascular disease and subjective memory impairment doubt that I will remember my wife is coming with me pushing me on chair as she does all the time. 
    Think before answering any questions, don't be rushed.
    when asked closed questions ie. "Can you..........."
    never answer "yes, but.............."
    the assessor stops listening at "YES"
    always answer "No, but............ "

CR

Got it although I can see my anxiety taking over I have problems with getting the right words out my wife is my rock and main support supervises everything I am doing this will be my 2nd assessment new application due to illness getting worse 
    Hi wattycz1,

Please make sure you or your wife tell them everything you can about your difficulties and what aids you need to use for each activity, or when aids are not enough and you need physical assistance from someone else, how much pain you are in and how long it takes you to do certain things if it is longer than you would expect. Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

Lee
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • janecejanece Member Posts: 1 Listener
    I have my pip assrsment end october and was wondering if i got a report of my problems would it help my case
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    @janece yes you'll need evidence to support your claim. Didn't you send any evidence when you sent the form back to them? If you didn't then take it with you to the assessment. Make sure you take copies only and not the original. As much evidence as possible.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Angeluk1Angeluk1 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited September 2017
    Write to your MP E mail them for support and your evidence. Send all correspondence recorded delivery. Keep repeating yourself sending E mail. Ask for all your data access records and what medical evidence they have regarding your claim. They told me they had not enough evidence. Went for assessment they said they had 142 files on my medical evidence, fabrication to delay your claim.  Ask for a SAR. They have all your records. Record telephone calls, take names, times, ask where the place is they are situated (example Nottingham) always ask what team number they are too. Are they outreach or a team number? write it, log it in a diary every time you E mail, call, or write. Avoid if possible on the phone.  Also ask for a home assessment  Write to the home secretary A MUST for work and pensions and have a good read through this very wise man's blog. Hope it help's. Sure it will.http://whywaitforever.com/ Get a support letter from your doctor. Your consultants, get in touch with their secretary's asking them to support you via a letter or fax. Be consistent and get as much legal advice as you can. Good luck.  http://whywaitforever.com/dwpatos.html 

• 100clive100clive Member Posts: 21 Listener
    the  but bit ---- was my downfall
    edited September 2017
    Hi wattycz1,

As CR has said, just use the aids and applicances that you would normally use on that sort of journey. Make sure you find out about the assessment centre (are there stairs, does it have a lift?) in case there is anything else you need when you get there. The assessor will take into account everything, including how you get to the assessment centre and how you move around once you are there.

As Lee advises, mention anything else you use in your everyday life to help you do things, whether you need help, whether you are in pain or breathless, if any activities cause a risk, and if anything takes a lot longer than it would for someone without your condition. 

Do let us know how you get on!

janecejanece,

Any evidence you have is helpful. I would make sure that both the DWP and the assessment provider have copies, and as Poppy123456 says, keep the originals because you might need them! Medical evidence is great, but so is evidence from other people who work with you or help you, or a diary of your everyday activities kept over a couple of weeks.

As AngelUK1 says, supporting letters from your GP or consultant are great, and you can request your whole medical history from your GP, but bear in mind, it may not all be relevant to PIP.

Will 
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
    With Regards to ESA does any payment after the 14th week get backdated to the point that support group phase starts?  
    Does the same happen with PIP eg application for change in circumstances is received by DWP in June and after f2f award changes to an increased amount? 
    Had my PIP assessment yesterday went on my wheelchair with my wife, the hcp was nice and listened some information about me and how my day to day life that I explained and how my disability affects me had caused me to break down into tears she went through the compulsory how far can you walk without pain so I explained a few steps then i need to sit down and rest  then the skeletal movements which were far too painful so she didn't complete now I have to wait on DWP lets hope they see how ill i really am 
    It is impossible to speculate on the outcome of any assessment, but it sounds as though you had a compassionate HCP.

best of luck

CR
    Hi wattycz1, 

For ESA there is a 13 week assessment phase period at the start of a claim. By the end of the 13th week the DWP are supposed to have assessed you and if successful, put you in the work-related activity or support group. Because they are so far behind with assessing people, if you are assessed after the 35th week of your claim for example, any additional money you are entitled to should be backdated to the 14th week of your claim. It's important to note though, for new claims made after 3rd April 2017, the additional payment of £29.05 for being in the work-related activity group has been abolished.
    If you receiving PIP, you report a change of circumstances and the outcome is advantageous to you, it usually takes effect on the date the change takes place, or is expected to take place. You must notify the DWP within one month of the change. However, if the change means you see now entitled to a particular rate of benefit, the supersession takes effect from the day you satisfy the conditions of entitlement for that rate (this includes the required period of condition of three months - you have to have had the required needs for the higher rate for three months before the higher rate can be paid). Again, you must have notified the DWP within one month of satisfying the conditions of entitlement.

Lee
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
    The 14th week commenced as of the 15th of August there was sufficient evidence given regarding medical evidence and was advised that wca not required to attend assessment and advised on being put in the support group. This was last week. I advised PIP of change in circumstances at the end of june had assessment still waiting for an answer regarding outcome of the assesment  this is the senario that the question is based on 
    Thanks 
    I have just received this text from DWP   but still no letters  why am I not surprised 
    We've received your Fit Note and details of your assessment. Your ESA payment will continue and you don't need to send us any more Fit Notes.
Sign in or join us to comment.