Hiding a disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hiding a disability

Options
2512JS
2512JS Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, 
Im a 25 yr old female and was born with a physical impairment, i dont have a left hand. I have really struggled coming to terms with it and hide it all the time incase people judge me and i think they wont like me . No one has said anything bad about it or stopped liking me because of it. I dont know who to talk to, to try and remove this physcological fear as it really effects me everyday and it stops me from doing social things with other people at times. 
Thank you 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @2512JS, and welcome! 

I'm so sorry that you're experiencing these emotions and that your fear is stopping you from doing things. If you're interested in accessing psychological therapy, your GP would be the best place to visit first as they will be able to refer you on to the correct services.

You might also like to chat to @triker1958 who has a similar impairment. If you'd like advice on mental health, we also have a mental health advisor who would be happy to answer your questions. Hope this helps! 
  • 2512JS
    2512JS Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks so much! I have spoken with my GP he has advised that there is a long waiting list to speak to someone regarding this. Im currently waiting for a letter, in the mean time i will take your advice. Great help, thanks again :) 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @2512JS

Welcome to our online community/website.

Please please let me know if I can help/support you with???

I have got very very big “Shouders” so please let me know if I can help in anyway?????

Brightness