Diary. Stop watch — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Diary. Stop watch

charlene
charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
today I have used my new toy, a stop watch.  I have only used it when I went out to the shop, for some bread.  Timed myself from the house to my car. from the car to the shop and visa versa.    If I only time myself when out and about will that surfice or do I need to do More? I have already been surprised and would most probably have argued different.   Took me longer to descend the steps than climb them. Maybe a different tale on another day. 
When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Comments

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry. Timing yourself for what exactly?
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi charlene

Although it is usefull to know how long it takes you to walk certain distances, the PIP descriptor for moving.around is specific to distance not time

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • charlene
    Hello Whistle, the assessor at my assessment said I could walk for 2 minutes the converted it into distance walked. I am trying to show, by measuring distance and timing myself walking it she is wrong with her assumption.

• charlene
    I know Cockney rebel, but I was caught out once not knowing how many minutes I could walk .  This time I thought I could show, distances times etc.  I feel it is so wrong that assessors can do this, when the discriptors only talk about walking distance.
  • Barbiesnemesis
    Barbiesnemesis Community member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    edited March 2018
    @charlene Jesus, the things we have to do to get our rightful benefit. It sounds like a good idea to me though. I was thinking about getting a pedometer to measure my walking time and distance. Scope are saying that disabled people have higher living costs which I agree with, but I wonder if they included having to buy gadgets to prove you're telling the truth to the DWP/'medical' assessors!!
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    charlene said:
    I know Cockney rebel, but I was caught out once not knowing how many minutes I could walk .  This time I thought I could show, distances times etc.  I feel it is so wrong that assessors can do this, when the discriptors only talk about walking distance.
    Saying you can walk for 2 minutes sounds very reasonable until you try to

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    My assessor and Tribunal doctor both asked about time on its own.  If you give a time without relating it to distance then they might well decide that, for example, 2 mins = 50-200m whereas it might take you 2 mins to walk 20m or 50m as the case may be.  Never give a time on its own or you might find you are comprised (I could use stronger words!).  Many others have reported that they too have been asked to give a time on its own to try to trip them up.

• charlene
    The assessor prompted me into saying maybe.  I didn't have a clue if I could.  It is now appearing on my assessment as 2 mins, not the 1 to 2 mins she prompted.
  • charlene
    Strangely enough she wrote the 5 mins it took for me to reach the reception desk, was because I had been seated in the taxi and had stiffen up, and also due to me getting anxious.
  • charlene
    The distance from the taxi to the reception was quiet a short distance. I had to stop 3 times, yes one to straighten up and get my legs moving. Also because I get anxious it affects my breathing  and I get very breathless.
  • whistles
    @charlene Jesus, the things we have to do to get our rightful benefit. It sounds like a good idea to me though. I was thinking about getting a pedometer to measure my walking time and distance. Scope are saying that disabled people have higher living costs which I agree with, but I wonder if they included having to buy gadgets to prove you're telling the truth to the DWP/'medical' assessors!!
    There are so many things out there to choose from.
    I have a gadget thing but I beep sometimes, scare myself and walk faster- so defeats the object of measuring.
  • charlene
    Lol, I bet you get some strange looks!
  • whistles
    charlene said:
    Lol, I bet you get some strange looks!
    Yes you can't hide it with a cough. 
    Saying that I think the world is slowly getting into tech, but I forget I am switched on. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • whistles
    Hopefully all will be quiet for two years. 
    ESA wrote about the change, so they don't want to see me so that's good.
  • charlene
    Victoriad, you have given me an ideal. I will buy myself a pair of trainers, not only with wheels but with flashing lights.  She will never know what hit her!  Let her try and explain that away on my assessment form.  
  • [Deleted User]
  • charlene
    Goodnight Victoriad x
  • whistles
    You can't be as mad as a box of frogs, they won't accept that on your claim forms.  :)

• [Deleted User]

Brightness