PIP been reduced — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP been reduced

shany
shany Community member Posts: 14 Connected
Hi all, 
I was on enhanced mobility rate. I contacted DWP  to state my health had deteriorated. I have now been sent a letter stating that my PIP has been reduced. I don't understand this and what is my next step? 
I would appreciate any advice. 

Comments

• jamie1965
    jamie1965 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    I far as I’m aware pip is not a benefit and is based on how your condition affect the way you live not based on the condition it self so unless you have become house bound and there for would not need high rate don’t make sense have they not stated why in the letter 
  • shany
    Hi Jamie
    I have chronic heart disease and osteoarthritis. I struggle to get around. There is no explanation as to why it's been reduced even though my health is deteriorating. 
  • jamie1965
    Call them and speak to your doctor see if they can give you a report to show that they are wrong and that they are stressing you and they are causing further risk to your health cause if they have made mistake they most likely won’t admit it. Keep us up dated on why they have done this to you and what they gonna do about it I did not think that they could reduce your pip without a review it may be worth while looking at the guidelines on pip at the gov website good luck sorry to hear they have done this to you 
  • shany
    Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it. I've been so worried and the stress has caused my angina to flare up. 
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Im interested in what happens in your case.
    I would have thougjt you would have got more not less.
    They seem to make up the rules on the day???
    Please keep intouch
  • shany
    I will call DWP and my GP in the morning 
  • jamie1965
    Keep record of everyone you speak to and time and date so they can’t say you have not been in touch if you have a smart phone you can download a free app to record calls when you on the phone with them could be a help to you should they try to deny anything they say or there favourite the call has not recorded so cannot check the conversation you will have it recorded 
  • shany
    I will definitely do that and keep you posted. 
  • duckett123
    duckett123 Community member Posts: 81 Courageous
    they cant reduce you pip unless they give you a medical assessment if they do it must be in writing as to why get a health adviser from your local council to help they can call for you get answers faster than us 
  • shany
    I contacted DWP to state my health had deteriorated. They did an assessment but despite my health worsening they reduced the PIP. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @shany

This sort of thing often happens - reporting disability getting worse gives assessors an excuse to reduce or remove benefit by lying in their reports.  Have you asked DWP for a copy of the assessor's report and asked for a mandatory reconsideration?
  • shany
    Hi Matilda 
    I will be asking for a copy of the assessors report first thing in the morning along with M.R. 

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Good idea. Keep everything 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    So sorry to hear about your experience @shany, that must have been really difficult for you to hear on top of your deteriorating health. Good to hear you're beginning the appeals process, please do let us know if we can offer any guidance.
  • shany
    Went to citizens advice this morning and they were brilliant. 
    Helped me with the M.R. letter
    I have osteoarthritis, CHD  and Angina.  
    Apparently I can walk 50 metres without stopping! I'm due to go into hospital next wk for an angiogram!
  • shany
    Well, had my PIP appeal today. Dr did most of the questioning. After a lengthy interrogation he told me that because I hadn't had a knee replacement yet, ( I have osteoarthritis in both legs) that my pain can't be that bad so therefore my appeal was refused. I have Scoliosis and Degenerative Disc Disease and angina. Currently recovering from another heart attack. The decision was made without them seeing my orthopaedic records. 
  • Matilda
    Sorry to hear your appeal was refused.  You could ask judge for a statement of reasons and show it to CAB to see if tribunal made an error of law in which case you could appeal to an upper tier tribunal.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    shany said:
    Well, had my PIP appeal today. Dr did most of the questioning. After a lengthy interrogation he told me that because I hadn't had a knee replacement yet, ( I have osteoarthritis in both legs) that my pain can't be that bad so therefore my appeal was refused. 
    And no doubt if you had have had the replacements they would argue that the pain you used to have will no longer be there owing to the operation.

You really cannot win with some people.

They could argue the same in my case in that as I have not had a lung & pancreas transplant the pain and debilitating problems can't be that bad. 
    Try telling my body that!
  • Matilda
    Or make a new claim.  If you have to go to tribunal a second time, insist that you cannot walk farther than 20m before you have to stop and rest if that is the case.  Keep a 7 day diary in which you log how far you walk on days you go out and for how long you have to stop before continuing.  Make it clear you can only walk until to 20m before you have to stop and rest for a few minutes.

Disabilty Rights UK site has a draft diary you can adapt.
  • shany
    Hi @Matilda
    I had a welfare rights officer from c.a.b. accompany me. He's going to ask for a statement of reasons. Just have to wait 6 weeks to get it and go from there. 
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.