Let’s hear some success stories! - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Let’s hear some success stories!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    I’m a bit dim @Governments_A_Joke I just thought he was very knowledgable and maybe had claimed PIP himself? But it all makes sense now! Lol. 
    Yes at @mikehughescq, have faith. I’m sure you’ll be fine. I think the last on the PIP invites for DLA claimants are coming out fast now. I think they’re aiming to be done by Oct 18. Xx
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck when it comes around @mikehugh@mikehughescq
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Ha. Thank you both but I’ll definitely be a face to face. No justification for a paper based assessment or a home visit in my case. 

@Username_removed Mike your always welcome buddy :) you've helped me and many of us on here now I'm gonna help you. I would lay my life on it you will not have a Face to Face or MR, or Appeal. Be positive that's what my shrink has tried telling me. Sometimes it works but most of the time it don't.  :cold_sweat:
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
     They’ll be getting that full on and I will be practising what I preach and both making a case for an ongoing award and declining to consent to functional assessment at my face to face. I look forward to my MR and appeal :)

Would expect nothing less!

Not too sure how you can make a case for the length of the award, although I understand when you can ask the DWP for their evidence when they give the term.
    Consent? I thought that that was a no no ,if you wanted to avoid having your claim closed down due to non co-operation?
  • WaterLily
    WaterLily Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    I was on mobility component of DLA. (Lifetime). 
    Applied for PIP. Was given standard rate mobility and standard rate care. 
    Just a month before the outcome, I had been given my new motability car, so that had to be returned. 
    I did an MR and was successful. Now receive high rate mobility and standard care. 
    It was very frustrating at the time having to return the motability car and purchasing our own. 
    (The motability car was returned on a Friday,then by the next Friday, I got my new award!). Great timing! 
    But all in all, I’m happy with the outcome. 
    ?

• Yadnad
    Both my conditions are genetic and therefore lifelong. I’ve done all the “adapting” to those conditions I’m ever going to do and I have the aids and appliances I need. I’ve also exhausted the few treatments available and had one of the two surgeries available. The other is American. I’ve also had DLA for 9 years albeit that had I known what I know now I’d have gone for it 24 years ago. Putting that together makes for a compelling case for an ongoing award. 

Both  All of my conditions are genetic, life limiting and therefore lifelong. I’ve done all the “adapting” to those conditions I’m ever going to do and I have the aids and appliances I need as supplied by Social Services OT Dept.. I’ve also exhausted the few treatments available and had one of the two three major surgeries. available. The other is American. There are others only available in America. I’ve also had DLA for 9 years since 1995 along with IIDB and IB/ESA albeit that had I known what I know now I’d have gone for it 24 years ago in 1992.

Geez Mike you could have been writing about me!
    DLA was good I received an indefinite award but was assessed midway. There were no arguments about the prospect of improving - In fact the outlook is rather dismal - every ten years my life expectancy drops by 50% and that is a medical fact.

However the PIP assessor/case manager thought otherwise and decided that there will be a change for the better every 3 years.

You know what you are doing so would expect a good result for you.

• stapeley
    stapeley Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Okay . its good to hear about success stories , but , people are here because they are struggling .Knowing that FRED BLOGGS  got it does not help really. Many people that deserve benefits get denied because they cant handle the system and how to  play the  game.

• [Deleted User]
    Please let’s not turn this post negative. 
    The purpose of this post is to reassure people that it’s not all doom and gloom as all you hear is the bad reports. It gives people hope, even though the outcome is different for everyone. Just hearing other people’s experiences that were good can calm many anxious people. 
  • Yadnad
    stapeley said:
    Okay . its good to hear about success stories , but , people are here because they are struggling .Knowing that FRED BLOGGS  got it does not help really. Many people that deserve benefits get denied because they cant handle the system and how to  play the  game.

I absolutely agree with you. I have voiced this myself that those who know what they are doing, those that get decent advice have a far better chance of securing a good award.
  • Yadnad
    niknoo said:
     Just hearing other people’s experiences that were good can calm many anxious people.

Are you actually being serious with that comment?

I'm far from calm after hearing how people manage to get awards and have long awards at that when they quote that they have illnesses etc that are insignificant to my own medical & mental health problems.

I would love to swap for some of these non life threatening conditions that people get awards for.

Sorry for the rant and I don't mean to insult anyone, I just don't think that hearing these positive results would make those who have failed feel calm!
  • Castleford1
    Castleford1 Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Yadnad, who are you to judge how serious other peoples illnesses are and whether they should get high awards.  I would gladly transfer my daughters enhanced care and mobility award over to you if I could.  You see she has severe learning disabilities and will need lifelong care, she is 51 and obviously will never marry and have children of her own.  I just wish she was well and I can assure you that compared to this, winning an enhanced PIP award is just peanuts.
  • stapeley
    stapeley Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    edited July 2018
    I went from no points 12 months ago , the assessor ignored a consultant letter.  To esa  support group !  I absolutely made sure  i stuck to within their descriptors .  Safely and within a reasonable time scale for the majority of  the time , No I can not , I repeated when asked about tasks.  
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad said:

I absolutely agree with you. I have voiced this myself that those who know what they are doing, those that get decent advice have a far better chance of securing a good award.
    Again, no evidence for that. The vast majority of people who get awards do so in the absence of any kind of advice. 
    I also said that they would tend to get a good award if they knew what they were doing when making and putting a claim in.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Yadnad, who are you to judge how serious other peoples illnesses are and whether they should get high awards.  I would gladly transfer my daughters enhanced care and mobility award over to you if I could.  You see she has severe learning disabilities and will need lifelong care, she is 51 and obviously will never marry and have children of her own.  I just wish she was well and I can assure you that compared to this, winning an enhanced PIP award is just peanuts.

@Castleford1 couldent agree more with you, well said I would also be prepaired to give my PIP ongoing award away to and have a full life without lifelong illnesses and constantly worrying when I'm going to die or receive another brown envolope. If I had my own money I certainly would not be wanting what I've paid in over the years that's for sure. Likewise for you daughter to have a normal life as well.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Yadnad
    edited July 2018

As I said I did not want or intend to insult anybody.
    The point of my reply was to refute the suggestion that those who have failed in their claim or those that are awaiting a Tribunal should feel calmer when they hear of all of the success stories. 
    In a way it's like telling somebody who has only a few days left to live due to cancer that they should be calm about their predicament when being told that the guy in the next bed has just been given the all clear about his cancer diagnosis. It is and was an insensitive comment to make.  
  • Castleford1
    Castleford1 Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Well I can honestly say if I was dying of cancer I would wish another person a full return to health.   I lost my husband to cancer 12 years ago but he never complained about other people recovering from it, he was just glad for them.  I am sure most people who have been awarded PIP would gladly give it up if they could return to full health.  Time to stop the sour grapes, methinks.
  • [Deleted User]
    Yadnad said:
    niknoo said:
     Just hearing other people’s experiences that were good can calm many anxious people.

Are you actually being serious with that comment?

I'm far from calm after hearing how people manage to get awards and have long awards at that when they quote that they have illnesses etc that are insignificant to my own medical & mental health problems.

I would love to swap for some of these non life threatening conditions that people get awards for.

Sorry for the rant and I don't mean to insult anyone, I just don't think that hearing these positive results would make those who have failed feel calm!
    Yes I am being serious as this whole thing is scaring the hell out of me so hearing other people having success gives me hope!! 

I feek like such a burden to society, i can’t even explain how this is making my mentak health so bad. To the point I physically vomit at the thought of a assessment let alone the outcome. 
  • Yadnad
    niknoo said:

Yes I am being serious as this whole thing is scaring the hell out of me so hearing other people having success gives me hope!! 

I feek like such a burden to society, i can’t even explain how this is making my mentak health so bad. To the point I physically vomit at the thought of a assessment let alone the outcome. 
    Hope I can understand and yes it does help to carry on to a point.

But does it actually make you calm and relaxed about your future with or without PIP? That's the point.

• [Deleted User]
    The whole point of the post was to let people see that it’s not all bad, and people are getting awards with or without help from external agencies. 

And to give claimants hope, drawing from other people’s GOOD experiences. 

I am sorry you didn’t get the award you deserved but you’re always so negative on posts and that can be quite scary and daunting to read, perhaps off putting for many!! 

So my post wanted to achieve the exact opposite. 

I’d happily give up all benefit entitlement and go to work, to be free from physical and mental illnesses but that will never happen for me, so unfortunately unless I win the lottery, I am reliant on government support, which hopefully I will continue to get but having said that, it makes me feel like a absolute burden to society! I never asked to be born with the genetic condition I have and all the complications that  go with it that are chronic, on/going, there is no cure, nor the have the trauma in my life that’s made me have BPD/PTSD/GAD etc. 

My post was was simply trying to help other people like me, that do feel better are after reading positive outcomes as I dwell on and worry about the negatives to the point it makes me very ill. 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    This thread is getting way off topic @niknoo started this to make a point about positive stortes.

Again certain people are negative and upsetting people.

Will you please stop and think what your writing, seriously not everyone want to hear the same **** all the time!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.