Hi, my name is Phil55! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Phil55!

Phil55
Phil55 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I have depression, diabetes II, COPD, severe foot pains, insomnia & my flipping teeth keep falling out! Because of my feet & hip I'm unable to walk as far as the shops or bus stop. I'm 63 & sometimes wonder how long I have left or if it's worth it, it's only my 5 children & 4 grandchildren that keep me going. As I can't afford to repair & run my car I'm stuck at home most days. Luckily I have a few friends that visit now & then.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Phil55

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear how you're feeling. I know it doesn't seem like it sometimes but anything is possible and there's got to be at least one way to help you. Your independence is just as important as your health. Are you able to have a powered wheelchair/mobility scooter? I use a powered wheelchair and it's completely changed my life, I've got my independence back. Please let us know if you need any advice about anything or even if you just want a chat :)

Ami :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Phil55
    Hi Ami
    thankyou
    I would love a mobility scooter or similar, it would certainly make difference. Unfortunately there is no way that I can afford one.
    Phil
  • Ami2301
    Hi Phil

Its worth asking your doctor if you could be referred to wheelchair services. Or maybe be referred to see an Occupational Therapist and they can help you find ways to make the most of your independence :)

• Phil55
    Ok thank you. One of my biggest problems is getting to my doctors. I have to hope one of my sons is on the right shift so their car is available
  • Ami2301
    Hi Phil,

Fingers crossed they can sort something out for you.

Lef us know if you need anymore help :)

• Phil55
    Ok tks, earliest appt I can get is Tues 4th Sept!
  • Ami2301
    Hang in there, it'll soon come round :)

When my doctor referred me to both wheelchair services and occupational therapist it did take a while, unfortunately.

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Phil55 Pleased to meet you welcome.

I am reading what you have been saying. Wanted to wish you well. Hope we as a community can advise.

Is it possible to look on line for any additional support .  Know certain lines of enquiry might be worth looking at.

Websites like NHS and certain organisations. To see what they can offer. Local Councils how can they help and advise you.

Have a range of services.

My friend @Ami2301 has been helpful.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Phil55
    Thank you. It has been nice to have a sympathetic ear for a change
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Phil55 We are here as a community to help and advise. Be here to listen remember that. Always some one here to talk to.

If not I am always around I will find you or you find me. Quite happy to listen.

I live on my own and am always like helping people. We as a community do that. Be a listening ear .

Helps me all the time I struggle myself.

By the way might be looking at AGE UK website for support and information.  Could be useful I went on a while ago am 53 . Thought am I too young. Well we all are we not my friend.

What is age. Anyway found them most helpful and useful. .

I recall one time if I believe the NHS had a service to take you to Doctors Surgeries and appointments. Understand a long time ago. With budgets and cuts whether they still do that.

With all these services a donation might be asked for. Depends how badly strapped they are for cash. I know I offer all the time.

Some days pen paper on line a sandwich have a look around the net. See what is available couple hours might bring some results works for me.

Hope to speak when ever you wish to.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Phil55
    Thank you.
    not always around during the day as with my foot pains at night I can't sleep so tend to nap during the day which like today is hard as I often look after my 2 year old grandson JJ who I adore, we have a fantastic bond
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Phil55, and a warm welcome to the community! If we can be of assistance, do let us know.
  • Phil55

Brightness