Potential divorce and disabled — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Potential divorce and disabled

Options
gem_321
gem_321 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I've been with my husband since I was 19 years old, I'm now 32. Married for 9 of those years. I became disabled around the age of 30. My husband, over the last 2 days, has told me he doesn't think he's in love with me any more, although he does love me. This might end in a split and I'm terrified.

He's the breadwinner, I had to give up work 2 years ago. I receive contributions based ESA and PIP. There is absolutely no way I could survive on my own. I would be homeless. Everything is going through my head right now, I don't know what to do. I've never really known my life without him. It feels much harder with a disability and not being able to work and not being able to support yourself

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @gem_321 and a very warm welcome to the community. I am really sorry to hear this. I understand that this will be an incredibly difficult and stressful time for you. Have you spoken to your husband about this further? I hope others are able to offer advice. We are all here for you.
    Scope

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 90 Listener
    edited August 2018
    Options
    in a marrige there are twp people sadly one can and do change their minds and feel they need to end the marrege but take heart you will not be homeless nor alone as to survieving on your own ohhhh yes you will  we all feel like thati in a long term relationship  please find a local group you can talk to cry with get strong with?? there is life after breakdowns
  • sam12
    sam12 Posts: 1,338 Pioneering
    Options
    Try and work it out if u been married that long stay and talk about it he should accept u dear if u love him stay with him am sure a carer could help out have u apply for pip  try fightback4justicelawyers on Facebook 
  • dreamer72
    dreamer72 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hiya @gem_321 whilst I can't offer any advice I just wanted to let you know you're not alone in your situation or fears. I am currently going through the exact same scenario as of last week. We're still having to live in our rented place at the moment due to financial problems but Mrs a living hell being with someone you still love very much but doesn't even love or even care about you anymore.. I hope that you find the answers you need and the courage to see your possible new life ahead. Take care of you lovey. ?

Brightness