concerns about exersize — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

concerns about exersize

ctanner
ctanner Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2018 in Research and opportunities
hi all - im trying to get some info for a project regarding disability and physical recreation, if you wouldn't mind sharing what scares you about taking part in physical recreation with you disability and the safety limits that come with it , any input would be much appreciated xx 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ctanner   Pleasure to help you . First thing the main issues for me were the gym.

Wanted to get fit after my addiction recovery and still thought had this idea of keeping trim once or maybe twice a week at first.

Difficulties were the people and the issues, problems of me being in the same place as them. 

What concerned me was the lack of empathy and care and most of all the looks and stares.

Had a induction on the first day and really a lot of it was rushed and I need to know how to use equipment. Having it used it before just need guidance to be reacquainted with it all.

Patience and tolerance.   Had none.

My other concern was the health part. With people shall we say coming into contact with each other. After using equipment. Not cleaning it with anti bac, or similar cleaners or wipes.  Being tasteful and decent. I did by the way clean every time.

Ended up on one gym I had enrolled into.  Contacted a skin complaint. Which was a rash caused by people not cleaning the work equipment properly.  All over my hands. It has a name Contact Dermatitis .

Not very pleasant and had to cancel gym membership.  Took me ages to get rid with lotions and creams.  Told Managers of gyms .

When I had this .  Yet members were reluctant to clean equipment after a work out.

Other issues were the lack of concern and care from staff supposed to trained and be supportive. Yet trying to talk to some one pointless.

Hope that helps.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @ctanner   Pleasure to help you . First thing the main issues for me were the gym.

Wanted to get fit after my addiction recovery and still thought had this idea of keeping trim once or maybe twice a week at first.

Difficulties were the people and the issues, problems of me being in the same place as them. 

What concerned me was the lack of empathy and care and most of all the looks and stares.

Had a induction on the first day and really a lot of it was rushed and I need to know how to use equipment. Having it used it before just need guidance to be reacquainted with it all.

Patience and tolerance.   Had none.

My other concern was the health part. With people shall we say coming into contact with each other. After using equipment. Not cleaning it with anti bac, or similar cleaners or wipes.  Being tasteful and decent. I did by the way clean every time.

Ended up on one gym I had enrolled into.  Contacted a skin complaint. Which was a rash caused by people not cleaning the work equipment properly.  All over my hands. It has a name Contact Dermatitis .

Not very pleasant and had to cancel gym membership.  Took me ages to get rid with lotions and creams.  Told Managers of gyms .

When I had this .  Yet members were reluctant to clean equipment after a work out.

Other issues were the lack of concern and care from staff supposed to trained and be supportive. Yet trying to talk to some one pointless.

Hope that helps.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @ctanner   Thanks very much glad to help. Sorry for two posts clicked twice I think, well something happened.

Great to contribute and help.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @ctanner   Thanks very much glad to help. Sorry for two posts clicked twice I think, well something happened.

Great to contribute and help.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.