introducing yourself and confidentiality — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

introducing yourself and confidentiality

debbiedo49
debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
edited September 2018 in Start here and say hello!
Just wanted to raise the subject once again about folks using personal details either in their username or in their posts which should not be posted on a public forum. I’m not sure how Scope can help with this but I think it’s worth addressing again. Any suggestions please? 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I have been trying to come up with ideas for this issue for the past few days but I keep hitting a blank
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for this @debbiedo49- we keep an eye on all the welcome posts and remove any identifying/contact details as soon as we see them (as per our house rules).

Really positive to see other users being aware of the issue too- do feel free to use the 'report' button for anything which you think needs our attention too!
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Thanks @debbiedo49

We also have this message above our sign up book to encourage people not to use personal information in their username:  
    We take your privacy seriously. All of your information will be kept private. Remember that your username will be the name that is displayed on your profile and any comments that you share with the community. Therefore, we would suggest that usernames do not contain surnames or other private information.
    Also open to suggestions on what more we can do.
  • MontyFlange
    MontyFlange Scope Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi. I just joined and read this, Thought I'd change my name but there is no option to change Username in the profile settings. Maybe that could be turned on then if anyone does join with a 'name' they could be directed to this option and sort it out there. 
  • Ami2301
    That sounds like a brilliant idea, for further protection once resetting their username, an automatic email to the community team to aware you of this change and to decide if the new username is appropriate maybe? Email Aalerts could be shared out with community champions and advisors to even the load?
  • Alex
    Great idea. At the moment only admins can change usernames - and to be honest - I don't really know why! We don't have a setting to give users that control, but I'll get in touch with Vanilla (the forum software we use) and ask if that's something that can be changed. 
  • debbiedo49
    Sounds like a plan!
  • Shon
    Shon Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    Have i been to personal? 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @debbiedo49 Thanks for your post. As a community champion I welcome many people on the forum as I can.

I do not know how to deal with people who have used there full names. Try to be sensitive got to think do I say something.

Do not want to put people off.  

So why not have a vote on the person every month has the best user name.

That comes on to the forum first time. Give them a badge or something similar.

Been some real inventive ones and we can decide any of us to judge.  At the end of each month or even week.

You all award us badges so can we do the same to new members. Just a welcoming thought.

What do others think?

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • debbiedo49
    I love my badges!
  • Ami2301
    I'm not the only one who gets excited when receiving a notification saying I have earned a new badge? ?
  • thespiceman
    Hello @debbiedo49 everybody see what happens. I know love my badges and gosh am embarrassed seem to be running out of space.

On my wall.  

Reminds me of the time working every body turning up in jeans and sweat shirts. You have to remember a time long a go working in offices.

Managers and bosses disapproved so used a novelty way to make everybody change. Dress to Impress.

Best dressed male or female won a reward of some sort.

Same here.

Hope that is a sensible solution make a member new to the community more welcoming. Just an idea.

Speak soon.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Alex
    Love the badge idea @thespiceman!

What do you think the picture should be?
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Alex Hope you are OK .  Thank you for reply. How about two hands clasping each other.

As in the old days hands across the sea.  Inspiring friendship and unity.  Greeting new members with great user names.

Just a suggestion.  Thought of that.

Hope that helps.

Speak soon

Take care

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • debbiedo49