Hi, my name is bookfan007! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is bookfan007!

bookfan007
bookfan007 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi everyone,  i  am a widow of 70 yrs. and registered blind.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bookfan007
    Welcome to the community! Please let us know if there is anything that we can help you with! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Shon
    Shon Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    Hello and welcome
  • bookfan007
    Thank you so much Am2301. Its so kind of you,  i am recently widowed  and am living on my own for the first time in my life,   I lost my sight one year ago too
    so i am  trying to  cope with all the changes in my life ,  
     I do not know if this club will be for me yet as i have never joined anything like this,   Thank you again,  Bookfan007.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bookfan007, and a warm welcome to the community! Great to have you here! Do let us know if we can be of any assistance.
  • bookfan007
    Thank you Pippa.
  • Ami2301
    Hi @bookfan007
    I lost my central vision in March last year, it has been difficult to adapt to but overtime I've learnt new ways of doing things that I used to be able to do :) Are you partially blind or completely?
  • bookfan007
    Hi Ami,
    i have about 15%  of vision,   I had an operation  in June 2017.  But it was total failure. And the consultant  said there was no point even attempting the other eye,
    you are so right in saying  you learn to adapt. , its amazing what you can accomplish  when you try! ,   The  only thing i mish dreadfully is my hobby of miniature sewing,  ah well  no good moaning. All that does is give everyone a headache. Including me. ?

• Ami2301
    I know what you mean, I was obsessed with dot-to-dot books for adults, up to 1000 dots...miss it so much! The world is full of new things to try! If we moan then it's like,y to give everyone a headache, if we don't then it gives us a headache ?
  • bookfan007
    Awwww!   I  totally sympathise with you,  i used to love  wordsearch books too,
    and i have been an avid reader from the age of three,   I used to read the daily paper  from cover to cover for my Dad  when  he  was ill,  luckily  some genius invented the  Kindle,  i am so grateful for it,   I always  have to read for an hour before sleep it relaxes  me,
    i am so lucky have a very “techie” son ,  he has kitted me out with IPhone 8- 
    and a 55” TV.   Plus a Kindle,  plus of  course Sirie  on the IPhone is a godsend,
    i also have an  Alexa. But have not set it up yet,, also of course this Ipad  which is really good,  i have a large screen computer too which is touch sensitive ,
    gosh i hope you will not think  i am  bragging !!    I have just read my email back 
    which i have to do now and i sound like that Harry Enfield   Bloke “ I am considerably richer than you”.  Haha!!!
    my son is not rich either , all the kit i have were perks from his job,   Please tell me if  i “rabbit on” too much,  i have a tendency to do that sorry,
    i shall shut up now and wish you a blessed good night,  bookfan007
  • Ami2301
    I don't think you're bragging at all! It is refreshing and lovely to know that have all these things around you to help you! I've been debating about a Kindle....I have no idea how they work ?
    Dont worry, say as much or as little as you wish! We all can talk for England!
    Hope you have a lovely night too! :)
  • bookfan007
    Thank you sooo. Much  ,  please ,  please get a Kindle. They can be perfect  for low vision people,   My son adjust the light on mine  nd i have the option of buying
    audio version on the books of course,
    the books cost from 99p.  And same for audio version,  i am no techie. In fact i am the opposite of a techie but,  the kindles are amazingly  simple to use, one button to put on ,  then one control to read,  anyway i really shall shut up now ?
  • Ami2301
    I'm deaf too so no audio books for me lol. I may consider putting it on my Christmas list lol!

Brightness