Hi, my name is SharonHearn! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is SharonHearn!

SharonHearn
SharonHearn Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Hi, I am Sharon, I work for Jurys Inns who have chosen Scope for our national charity for two years. I am pleased to meet you all :-)

Sharon

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SharonHearn welcome to the community!

It's lovely to meet you too! How are you? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • SharonHearn
    Thank You :-)  I'm ok thank you :-)
  • Ami2301
    Would you mind telling us a bit more about yourself? :)
  • SharonHearn
    No problem :-) I'm 54, mum to 2 and nan to 3 :-) I have been struggling with depression and severe anxiety since 2014 and still don't feel any closer to 'getting my brain back' but I am on mediction and have just started to see a counsellor. I work 2 nights a week as a night porter which probably wasn't my best idea (working at night) but I love my job and can't think of anything else I would want to do at the moment.
  • Ami2301
    It's good that you have started seeing a counsellor, a positive step forward! :) 

If that's what makes you love to do then keep doing it :)

How are you finding your medication?
  • SharonHearn
    Strange, it seems to be helping the depression but not helping the 'dead brain' part of the depression. I still can't think, concentrate or remember things and that is what I really need the help with at the moment. I think my head has built a wall around itself to protect me from any future pain but it has killed all my emotions too which hurts so much. I am on Fluoxitine which is the best I have tried so far, I have previously tried three other tablets which didn't work for various reasons.
  • Ami2301
    May I ask how long you have been on Fluxotine?

I am on Sertraline for anxiety and it has helped me overcome so much. I went through a phase of not being able to remember or concentrate. It's horrible but it will pass.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SharonHearn, and a warm welcome to the community! Look forward to chatting with you more!
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @SharonHearn   Pleased to meet you.

We are a friendly community. Wanted to say we are here to support you any way which we can.

Please ask.

I have mental health issues as well. Mainly anxiety glad to help and advise. Offer any support if you wish to any time you want to.

Pleasure to meet you.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • SharonHearn
    Ami2301 said:
    May I ask how long you have been on Fluxotine?

I am on Sertraline for anxiety and it has helped me overcome so much. I went through a phase of not being able to remember or concentrate. It's horrible but it will pass.
    I have been on Fluoxotine for about 18 months. I tried Sertraline but the insomnia was horrendous :-(

Thank you Pippa and Spiceman :-)

• Ami2301
    It can take time to find which medication is the best one for you How are you feeling today? :)
  • SharonHearn
    Started out a good day but has ended up a nightmare, someone stirring trouble with my son and his gf. As usual his girlfriend believes everyone but my son even though he can prove with cctv where he was. My son is desperately unhappy and has got to the point where he thinks his only choices are to leave his girlfriend and probably lose his daughter (his gf is a compulsive liar) or suicide. We'll sort something out though, we always do :smile:
  • Ami2301
    That is awful @SharonHearn :(

If he is having thoughts of self harm or suicide, it is important that he should discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org

He might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how he can help himself. https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/suicidal-feelings/helping-yourself-now

If he feels that he may be an immediate danger to himself, please call 999 or go to his local hospital right away.

Due to you mentioning that he thinks suicide is one of his choices, we must offer the support that is available. It is clear that you are a very supportive mum and it's good that he feels comfortable to open up about how he feels to you.

I understand his situation is difficult as there is a child involved. I really do hope this settles :)

• SharonHearn
    Thank you :-) I think everything is sorted nnow :-)

• Ami2301
    That's good to hear! :)
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Lovely to meet you @SharonHearn :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • SharonHearn
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @SharonHearn, welcome to Scope's online community! :)
    Liam
  • SharonHearn
    Hi Liam, thank you :-)

Brightness