Call from IAS asking me to attend assessment next day — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Call from IAS asking me to attend assessment next day

bservedcold
bservedcold Community member Posts: 2 Listener
In July I received a ESA50 form which I sent off within the deadline. I heard nothing for a few months and then out of the blue at 4.45pm one night I got a phone call from Independent Assessment Service on my mobile asking that I come in the next day for an assessment.

I said no as I hadn’t received any notification or letters from the DWP, and I needed someone to come with me. I then attended several weeks later.

In the meantime I also got told my DLA was finishing and I’d have to claim PIP. I sent that form off and now again rather than any word from the DWP, I got two phone calls and a text from the Independent Assessment people wanting me to come in for an assessment within the week.

I suffer PTSD.These text and call cause tremendous anxiety. I specified I’d prefer the DWP contact me by letter. Why aren’t they writing and telling me they need me to attend assessments? 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @bservedcold Please to meet you welcome thank you for joining and sharing.

Thank you for your question. The answer is I believe that they have so many assessments. Need to fill those who have rung and cancelled assessments.

You are not alone with this situation.  To reassure you this has happened to me several times and have told them bluntly no.

Have anxiety plus other mental health issues.

Had also an argument with one caller from ATOS. Booked in to a centre with level floors and they insisted me to go to one with three floors and a lift.

Which I replied so in an emergency. Are your staff prepared to carry me down the stairs. As I am disabled can not use stairs.

Just cut me off. 

All I can say you have the right to choose the right assessment centre for you.  Have the right support and hope and wish you all the successful outcome. 

We are here to support you through the assessment process.

Please ask if we advise on anything. Some one will know.

We are a friendly community. Care and share.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bservedcold, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and so sorry to hear about your experiences. It certainly sounds as though there's been some communication issues, and I don't think you should have been expected to attend an appointment on such short notice. I wonder if any of our other members could advise? 
  • bservedcold
    bservedcold Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks to everyone who responded and for the helpful advice and link :) 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You wouldn't have a letter from DWP about any assessments. It's the assessment providers that should be sending out the appointment letters. At this stage of your claim it's out of DWP's hands. A phone call asking if you can attend an assessment the following say is wrong, most people need a lot more notice than just 1 day. A week seems fine, at least this way you're more prepared.

Do remember though that you can only cancel an appointment once. Good luck for them both.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.