Pip Consultation report — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip Consultation report

Options
Taamac
Taamac Community member Posts: 4 Listener
So I saw another forum on here suggesting that 3-4 days after your PIP assessment, it was a good idea to get a copy of your Consultation report. I've yet to get my result, but I received my copy of the report, and I'm shocked at some of what is on it. Whilst I haven't spotted any too many outright lies, there are some serious leaps in logic, and those leaps are likely to mean that I won't qualify.

So to start with I should explain what my condition is. I've been diagnosed with Emotionally unstable personality disorder and Anxiety. As a child, I was also diagnosed as having PDD-NOS (Atypical autism) though I'm not sure as to whether the diagnosis was correct, or still valid as I did not learn of it until 2016, and do not know how it was made.

I can not leave the house without my sister with me, and will often miss appointments due to anxiety. Despite this, the assessor has suggested that I should be awarded zero points for mobility because I'm not physically a danger to myself when out, am not on anti-anxiety medication (have been offered mood stabilizers it by health professionals, but I have a history of overdosing, so have rejected medication,) and can watch tv. For some reason, a lot of the questions, this one included the assessor has stated that I need no help on them because I can watch TV.

This was the main argument given for being able to cook, eat healthily (I drink a lot of sweet tea a day to help with the anxiety so don't usually get hungry)  washing and bathing, and dressing and undressing. I'm not exactly sure what being able to watch TV has to do with these tasks, but its the argument given.

She also felt I should be awarded zero points for the Engaging with other people face to face, despite also finding this very difficult without my sisters support, if I do not know the person well. The reason given for this is that I'm not on medication, and can go to my Appointments. Although she has stated it earlier in the report, she has totally ignored the fact that doing so causes me a lot of anxiety, to the point it has been offered to turn them into home visits, but I declined the offer as I feel it would be putting the other person out, and that I'm doing my best not to become totally housebound.

I'm planning on starting writing my appeal with my sisters help when I feel more up to it, as I'm pretty sure already how the decision is likely to go, and was just wondering if anyone has any other advice?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome, this is a difficult one to answer as your pinning all your abilities to meet, match the PIP descriptors to do with your anxiety and your mental well-being. As the PIP descriptors ask can you do this or that and in the application form you stated what you can and cannot do giving the reasons why and the acessor has made the decision and recommendations to the decision maker for your award. If you are going for a MR you will need evidence, proof to support your claim to not being able to meet, match the PIP descriptors to get an improved award. Good luck and please keep the community updated.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

As you most likely already know PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out the PIP descriptors.

You will of course have to wait for the decision before you request the MR. When writing the MR you should focus on the PIP descriptors and where you think you should score those points and your reasons why. Giving 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you did that activity.

The evidence you send need to state how your conditions affect you. Future appointment letters aren't classed as evidence. A letter of support from your GP isn't really classed as evidence either because GPs very rarely know how our conditions affect us.

Did you go to the assessment alone? 

Only 17% of MR decisions changes so you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Taamac
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. In terms of your question, I got a home assessment as I find public transport nearly impossible, and I don't drive. My sister stayed in the room with me and helped to answer the questions when I was struggling. 

I'm kind of hoping, though probably in vain, that the decision maker will show a level of common sense in the desition making. They have included quite a bit of information in the report, about the difficulties I have, but seem to finish off most of the points with not medicated, and can watch TV so needs no help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Did you compare the dots/ticks in the boxes against the PIP descriptors to see what is recommended? They usually go with the report, it's rare to go against it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Taamac
    Options
    I have. They have suggested zero points on everything.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. I would start to write the MR request letter because like i said they usually go with the report. As there's no points recommended then it's unlikely the DM will go against the report and give enough points for an award at this stage. If it was just a point or two then it could be possible.

Have the PIP descriptors next to you when you're writing it and add the examples like i advised above. Try not to concentrated too much on any lies etc that were told in the report, they won't be interested in any of those.

If you can get some help from your local welfare rights or law centre then even better.

Did you send evidence? They rarely contact anyone for this.
  • Taamac
    Options
    I didn't send in any evidence, because I'd already sent off the form before I learned they don't usually contact your doctors, even though they say they do. I did provide my medical file at the assessment, though they didn't look at any of it. I can prepare those to send with the mandatory reconciliation. I'll have to look up what the local welfare rights and law centre are, because I don't recognize them by title, and don't know if there are any in my area. Thank you for the suggestion.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It doesn't state on the form that they contact anyone. It does ask for names of GP etc. It does clearly state what to send with the form and it has a list of what they want and don't want to see.

What they want to see is evidence that states how your conditions affect you. Not letters of a diagnosis etc because this doesn't tell them how you're affected.

They will very often refuse to accept evidence on the day of the assessment, it happened to me twice and lots of other people too.

If you ring DWP i wouldn't mention the Mandatory Reconsideration, if you do this before sending the letter then they may go ahead and make a decision on the MR before they receive the letter and evidence. Good luck.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It doesn't state on the form that they contact anyone. It does ask for names of GP etc. It does clearly state what to send with the form and it has a list of what they want and don't want to see. 
    I see that the DWP have quietly changed the PIP2 form once again. It no longer describes what evidence they don't want to see and they have now changed the wording about evidence they would like to see.
    They have removed the bit about the claimant should not ask for evidence nor pay for it - instead they say that it should just be evidence that you already have. 
    Leaving the claimant with the 'suggestion' that they should get evidence together and be asking for it and possibly paying for it without actually telling them to do so. Very crafty in my opinion in now failing to give a clear direction for the claimant

https://www.kdc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/file/Claim Form - How your disability affects you.pdf
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community 

On the forms I provided a lot of information. I told them all about his limitations and described a typical day for our family too. I also wrote a lot about the appointments and therapy sessions as well. I explained what he needs help with.
    I made photocopies of his medical reports and letters from the doctors and therapists involved with his care. In the end I learned that we had been awarded higher rate mobility and middle rate care. 
    My recommendation is to be as detailed as possible. Give them a good idea of how your lives are impacted by the diagnosis and disability too. Answer questions properly. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yadnad said:
    I see that the DWP have quietly changed the PIP2 form once again. It no longer describes what evidence they don't want to see and they have now changed the wording about evidence they would like to see.
    They have removed the bit about the claimant should not ask for evidence nor pay for it - instead they say that it should just be evidence that you already have. 
    Leaving the claimant with the 'suggestion' that they should get evidence together and be asking for it and possibly paying for it without actually telling them to do so. Very crafty in my opinion in now failing to give a clear direction for the claimant

https://www.kdc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/file/Claim Form - How your disability affects you.pdf
    Why am I not surprised? Honestly they’re a nightmare. 
  • Olivercleverboy6
    Olivercleverboy6 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Hi can someone explain please what these  letterings mean on my pip consultation report mean when she explained what evidence she considered alongside consultation. QC,PA4,GPFR,ADL,s FE,AR1,SOH,CMT10sorlos,.also as I feal there is a lot of contrition s this I believe could be because from what I'm guessing as she was typing report as she was interviewing me over phone and date on consultation report is 22,10,2021,and on the back of form when she actually finished my report is 27,10,2021 .another5days later I believe this could  have been reasonable to assume there whoud be mistakes in the report.as I've been told normally these reports are sent over within hours to a day. Also I'm dislecsic and Dyspraxia. If this lady whoud have checked my files or whatever they do she whoud have seen this with out dought. To the point of myself filling pip form as normally I have a support Worker because of pandemic very hard to get actual help but on my last pip form it says his filed it for me and why.yet she says Reading and understanding signs ,tick can read and understanding complex Information either aided or using specticals. She says I say I stragled to read due to my Dyslexia that I reply I wear glasses purched from a shop.but need help to understand what is written in her letter s,PA4 dated 2018 surpported no restricions? No surpported evidence I have told them I am 50 I was diegnosed in school I will take any test you want but I can't afford one.they also have years of evidence from surpport workers from my houseing exeplianing why they have completed my forms .but truthfuly to my shame any professional will see right off my connection s when reading my own writing. But at my end I am so humiliated that I have to keep explaining my condition. Its wearing me out this has happened nearly every time I renew pip,and yet again going to job Center were they help me with any forms I need filling in and explaing my problem could they give me something to prove my condition as why you help me .I'm so inbarsed to go for help hard enough but then  to try and prove this is unhumaine I just want to cry I'm fed up of this focus ion what takes an advantage person 10minutes to digest normally takes me weeks I'm worn out with this condition but to have to convince anybody I have it is soul destroying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi can someone explain please what these  letterings mean on my pip consultation report mean when she explained what evidence she considered alongside consultation. QC,PA4,GPFR,ADL,s FE,AR1,SOH,CMT10sorlos,.
    QC or do you mean CQ? = Claimant Questionaire
    PA4 = previous assessment report
    FE = further evidence
    SOH = social and occupational history
    AR1 is the form you filled in
    No idea about the others.
    This is the exact reason why requesting the report doesn't help some people. The report isn't always returned on the same day the assessment took place. It can sometime take a few days for them to return it. In some cases, it can take several weeks.
    The report is not the decision, it's part of your evidence. It has been known for them to go against the report. In the meantime, all you can do is wait. Once the decision's been made if you're not happy you can request the MR.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.