Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Want to give us your opinion? Complete our annual survey.

Carers element, do you need to complete a full month?

ivanmiller20011967ivanmiller20011967 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2018 in Universal Credit
Been caring for my uncle for the last 4yrs, decided to give it up due to illness . Been receiveing universal credit and the careers element . My U/C  starts as from 21st of each month, gave up claiming carers allowance on 19th and made a change of circumstances on on U/C journal, am I entitled to careers element for the 29 days or do you need to complete a full month.

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    The carers element will end when you stopped being a carer.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • ivanmiller20011967ivanmiller20011967 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your reply, I was told by U/C that I needed to complete a full month to be entitled to the careers element, therefore I was not rewarded for the 29 days for caring.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry but i can't find anywhere where it states that.

You will need to sign a new claimant commitment though, if you haven't already done that.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @ivanmiller20011967!
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,815 Disability Gamechanger
    UC operates on a full month so in any month you start caring you’ll get the element for that month. In the month you stop it will be excluded completely from the calculation. Timing is everything with UC.
Sign in or join us to comment.