Somebody to attend PIP assessment with me - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Somebody to attend PIP assessment with me

Comments

• Bevers1959
    Bevers1959 Community member Posts: 56 Connected
    Have asked but they say if u can walk  you can attend
  • Bevers1959
    Will phone and request home visit .thank you
  • sheenas69
    sheenas69 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    edited November 2018
    @Yadnad
    This has really annoyed me to think you can be so ignorant and rude.. These assessments aren't always easy for everyone (unlike yours obviously).. And by your comments it could really upset people and put them in a downward spiral.
    I went with my daughter aged 20 who has depression and anxiety and went in with her on her pip appointment with no bother or question about it, it was welcomed... And what happens if you have a carer who looks after you 24/7 surely you need them with you..
    I have just been on Citizens Advise and PIP Assessment Centre and quote " it can be easier to talk openly about your health condition or disability if you have some moral support, so we encourage you to have a companion with you." Etc....

@Bevers1959 and anyone else. I hope things go well for you xxx

• Bevers1959
    Thank you ,its just so overwhelming for me and i no i am going to struggle
  • sheenas69
    Do you live anywhere in Sussex?

• Bevers1959
    No i am in Lancashire 
  • Bevers1959
    Just thinkin is all this worth it
  • sheenas69
    Definitely worth it.. sorry can't help live to far away.. is there a disability centre of some such that can help you. As they can go with you as a friend has done that as well.. x
  • sheenas69
    This is a very stressful application I think to scare us into not applying... x
  • Bevers1959
    Have tried every charity,help lines ,they dont provide people to attend with you thank you for your support
  • Bevers1959
    I will write to them tomorrow,& try for home visit, what annoys me is they dont have any compassion sexual abuse is a tabbo subject to them they dont realise what it does to people for  the rest of their lives 
  • sheenas69
    Try the council and ask if there is department for help with disabilitiea as this is where ours in Sussex is run through. Lancashire office tel. 0300 123 6701. Hope that helps. X
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    sheenas69 said:
    @Yadnad
    This has really annoyed me to think you can be so ignorant and rude.. These assessments aren't always easy for everyone (unlike yours obviously).. And by your comments it could really upset people and put them in a downward spiral.
    I went with my daughter aged 20 who has depression and anxiety and went in with her on her pip appointment with no bother or question about it, it was welcomed... And what happens if you have a carer who looks after you 24/7 surely you need them with you..
    I have just been on Citizens Advise and PIP Assessment Centre and quote " it can be easier to talk openly about your health condition or disability if you have some moral support, so we encourage you to have a companion with you." Etc....

@Bevers1959 and anyone else. I hope things go well for you xxx

I'm sorry but I had no intention in upsetting anyone. I only quoted the facts as I understand them to be as taken form the guidance manuals.
    My assessments easy? You must be joking. All three were a nightmare. As soon as I started to explain my answers I was cut short.
    OK my body language clearly upset the assessors. Not my fault - all part of the problems I have.
    I too suffer from depression on top of PTSD and currently on 200mg Sertraline to try and keep it and my temper under control.

Carer? My wife doesn't physically actually do that much for me, but as my rock for the past 23 years that I have been ill I can't do without her. I'm fiercely independent and try to keep a lid on everything for her sake.It's only because of her that I am still here. 

But no way was I going to allow my wife to see me get into a state at the assessment - she deserves better than that. It would upset me for her to hear how I really feel inside with all of the difficulties that I have to cope with and be strong for her.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118 Listener
    i ended up paying a carer to attend with me but know this isnt always possible...just thought id add to the thread ..sorry that you had a rude comment on this thread ...why you got it i really cant understand x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    @Yadnad it won't be the first time you've upset someone. It helps to have some consideration when replying to people posts. If you don't have anything nice to say then it's often better to just read and not reply. Unhelpful comments won't help people, especially those who already suffer with anxiety because you're just scaring them even more than they already are.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bevers1959
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    @Yadnad it won't be the first time you've upset someone. It helps to have some consideration when replying to people posts. If you don't have anything nice to say then it's often better to just read and not reply. Unhelpful comments won't help people, especially those who already suffer with anxiety because you're just scaring them even more than they already are.
    As I have already said, I have only quoted what the rules/guidance are.
    Are you suggesting that if a piece of guidance or rule is upsetting then we must pretend that it doesn't exist for fear of becoming more upset by reading it?
    Unfortunately I live in the real world parts of which are not acceptable to many.

• Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    I think mikehughescq is the best person to listen to as regards the rules and regulations.  He has a good success rate.  Insisting on your right to a home assessment as a reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act really is the way to go, unless you have someone else who could go with you?  I understand that having an assessment in your own home is actually more stressful for some people!
  • Bevers1959
    Obviously that  person is not like me ,he said he has depression  and that he remains strong for his wife so much so she waits in the waiting room ,am sorry but the fact that he could actually go in with no hesitation and that he keeps control baffles me ,the dread i have is to actually get to the place  and i cant stop breaking down anywhere and everyday  wish i could control my anxiety and depression 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118 Listener
    hugs...i get it....i suppose some dont realise just how difficult it can get ....lets hope it stays that way for them huh ? its not a choice or a weakness its genuinly unbearable and can affect anyone.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.