PIP claim disallowed. - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP claim disallowed.

Comments

• Spibes
    Spibes Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    That's a improvement, hopefully the pressure on the Government due to having no majority sees real change in the system. The video recording of assessments being trialled is positive too but hopefully it rolls out nationally. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Spibes said:
    That's a improvement, hopefully the pressure on the Government due to having no majority sees real change in the system. The video recording of assessments being trialled is positive too but hopefully it rolls out nationally. 
    Yes give people the option for such a recording - remember that not everyone would be happy being filmed. If I was still in the 'system' I would opt out of it being recorded - people including myself would not be at ease.

• Spibes
    Spibes Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    That makes logical sense yes I could get behind that. 
  • MariLondon50
    MariLondon50 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Hello there
    I also had my pip assessment on 25th of September on 1th of October a letter arrived 6 points for daily living 4 for mobility I logged a mandatory reconsideration on 8th of October and waiting until now for answers I called several times in the mean time but the answer is they are looking at my case good luck to everyone 
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Mike.....I don't disagree with you in relation to the length of time it takes to transcribe etc. However I'm certain that a recording helped my claim.

What I found surprising is that the assessor still lied even when I recorded it! 
  • cristobal
    I mean lies, something that is untrue and i can prove it as such....there are lots of 'unreasonable assumptions as well though"

Examples from the recording:-

"Can you walk to the shop and back" A "no" recorded as "yes"
    "You said that you get tired and have to nap. How often is that?" A "Most days" recorded as 2-3 days per week
    "pays for his petrol at the kiosk" - never said
    "reads books on the internet" - never said
    "do you have a downstairs toilet?" A"No" recorded as "Yes"
    "How often does your wife help you with medication?" A" I can't remember but quite a lot" recorded as "One day a month"

There a several more, without getting into the 'misunderstandings.And the leading questions. And assumptions. And the refusal to discuss additional information that I gave to the assessor. And poor interview technique.

The really sad thing is that I went into the assessment open-minded and I'm still struggling to believe what happened. (you'll see from my previous post that they're not busting a gut to put it right either!!)
  • cristobal
    I'm not sure whether this is a lie, or just mad but when i went to the toilet the assessor timed me and concluded that I can walk at 60metres/sec!!
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Wow. That puts Usain Bolt out of business
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • cristobal
    Mike...thanks for alerting me to this. Will it be illegal? It wasn't done covertly, I notified them beforehand, and then checked with the assessor prior to the start of the assessment.The assessor's consent is actually on the recording. That's what I find amazing - that the assessment went the way it did even when they knew that I was recording it.It seems to me that they're extremely confident that they can stitch people up without suffering any consequences. And they're right.

As I said apart from the lies there are lots of other 'errors' that I think are probably lies but could, if you were being generous, be considered honest mistakes.

A tactic seems to be to take answers out of context which I think you might be alluding to when you talk about 'drawing an unreasonable inference'. The report said that I practice (a particular sport) but failed to mention that I went on to say that it was so long ago that I couldn't remember when I last went.It recorded that I did the washing up (true) but didn't mention that I cannot load the washing machine (which was the next thing I was asked) 

I was trying to add a note of humour when I mentioned the 60m/sec walking but this too is essentially a lie. The assessor wasn't timing me when I got up, and cannot actually see the distance that it is claimed I walked. At best it's a very bad estimate, and very bad proofreading as it so obviously wrong

I would estimate that there are about a dozen lies and about 20-30 'inaccuracies'

Curiously as far as I can see there isn't a single occasion when one of these mistakes/errors etc would add weight to my claim.
  • cristobal
  • cristobal
    Mike ..when I listened to the recording I was actually very surprised at how I came across. I was nervous obviously but at practically every question I was hesitant, lots of "err" & "I can't remember", thinking for an absolute age & constantly going back to topics that had already been covered.

Credit where credit's due - when the recording was reviewed by a "senior clinical assessor" they picked up on all of this which is why they suggested changing the descriptors in relation to "cognitive" type behaviours.
  • sarmitch
    sarmitch Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I just received my decision and I have been awarded 0 points the report and reasons why dont match my assessment or even my illness I have sle,aps ,tn,on, degenerative disc diease I have no hearing in left ear from tumor and i have toxicity from lupus drugs so I am loosing my eye sight I take a cocktail of pain killers daily but in the report they state I didn't look like I was in pain and I walk at a normal pace and I don't have any pain medication any medical I receive is for monitoring purpose only is it possible they have mixed up assessments there was so many inconsistency for not awarding any points has any body experienced this ? 
  • cristobal
    Mike - you're totally correct.

I thought long and hard before I recorded my assessment, mainly because I didn't want to come across as a 'barrack room lawyer' who had made their mind up that they didn't trust the assessor before they've even met them. 
  • Eadiesmummy1
    Eadiesmummy1 Community member Posts: 90 Courageous
    sarmitch said:
    I just received my decision and I have been awarded 0 points the report and reasons why dont match my assessment or even my illness I have sle,aps ,tn,on, degenerative disc diease I have no hearing in left ear from tumor and i have toxicity from lupus drugs so I am loosing my eye sight I take a cocktail of pain killers daily but in the report they state I didn't look like I was in pain and I walk at a normal pace and I don't have any pain medication any medical I receive is for monitoring purpose only is it possible they have mixed up assessments there was so many inconsistency for not awarding any points has any body experienced this ? 
    i have tn too. are you nit on any anticonvulsants? my report is an absolute joke x sorry i havent replied guys. rough few days x
  • sarmitch
    I'm on 700mg carbamazepine for tn
    100mg amitriptyline for o,n and a load others for my lupus I'm going to ask for m,r the report can't be mine I haven't walked at a normal pace for over 8 years as I have musle degenerative and swollen joints 
  • Eadiesmummy1
    definitely ask for MR. ive asked for one. i take 300mg carbamazipene and 300mg pregabalin, they arent clued up on medications at all xx 
  • sarmitch
    I don't think they know what taking the amount of meds we do effects our lives it's dreadful ,the pain from TN is undescribable never mind all the other things going I will def be calling tomorrow to find out what the report has said because to say I'm not on any pain medication is just 1 thing that isn't the case hope you sort things out I'll keep you posted xx
  • Eadiesmummy1
    By and large they are as clued up as the level of detail you gave them in the claim pack. If you just detailed your meds, levels and why but didn’t explain side effects; problems taking them etc. then, no, they won’t be clued up.
    I hand wote an extra sheet of paper giving exact details of each medication, frequency, dosage, what it is for, what side affects i have etc. They should be experts! xx
  • Eadiesmummy1
    sarmitch said:
    I don't think they know what taking the amount of meds we do effects our lives it's dreadful ,the pain from TN is undescribable never mind all the other things going I will def be calling tomorrow to find out what the report has said because to say I'm not on any pain medication is just 1 thing that isn't the case hope you sort things out I'll keep you posted xx
    i have sent you a private message xx
  • mattw84
    mattw84 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    edited December 2018
    I had my tribunal today. I have had agoraphobia and sciatica for the last 3 years my claim was made last December and although I had the symptoms I didn’t have the diagnosis till August this year after a mri scab showed two herniated discs in my lower spine which has pinched the nerves. 

I scored 2 points and lost my mandatory reconsideration 

had tbe tribunal today took my hospital diagnosis and they took one look and the doctor whispered to the judge asked me a few questions about the symptoms at the time of my assessment and in less than 5 mins overturned the Dwp and awarded me enhanced for both backdated from last December 
    the panel were amazing and the doctor on the panel was fantastic 

I think the Dwp should use doctors to do the assessments rather than whoever they can find in the healthcare industry.

it might be a long wait but I recommend you take it to the end and don’t let the long wait and fight put you off.

good luck

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.