Agoraphobia Interested in Hearing! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Agoraphobia Interested in Hearing!

T_BBC
T_BBC Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited February 2019 in Research and opportunities
Hi,

I'm aware of how sensitive a subject that agoraphobia is, along with other mental health issues. I wouldn't want anyone to share anything too personal and would hope that everyone conceals their information! I'm interested in learning more about agoraphobia and what it's like to live with the condition? It's for a potential idea for an upcoming BBC documentary which would aim to educate people about what it's like to live with agoraphobia. I'm interested in hearing about it in all it's shapes and forms so anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. 

Contact email: tom.parkinson@bbc.co.uk

T

Comments

• Nattie3
    Nattie3 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    I have agoraphobia, I’d be housebound if it wasn’t for my husband and support workers. 
    Living with this condition is very cruel and heart breaking. 

Agoraphobia is tough to live with. Knowing you have the physical ability to leave the home, or access the community, but your mental capacity doesn’t allow this. It’s hard for people to understand the difficulty that is surrounded with agoraphobia, you never get a break from this condition. This doesn’t even touch the surface on what agorphobia is or what it is like to deal with daily!

if you want to know more in detail I don’t mind discussing it. 

Good luck with the documentry, more acknowledgement and education about the condition the better!
  • T_BBC
    Hi @Nattie3

This is really interesting for me. Is it hard for people to get support from support workers? It's really quite fascinating and I would definitely love to know more if you'd be willing to tell me anything?

I don't imagine that we're allowed to share anything personal details on here so I don't know how best to send over a number/contact email in case you're willing to chat that way? Otherwise I'm keen to speak through here. It seems like such a complex condition and people (myself included) don't seem to understand the severity of it and what it really entails.

Thank you for your response, would love to talk at some point!
  • Nattie3
    Nattie3 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    T_BBC said:
    Hi @Nattie3

This is really interesting for me. Is it hard for people to get support from support workers? It's really quite fascinating and I would definitely love to know more if you'd be willing to tell me anything?

I don't imagine that we're allowed to share anything personal details on here so I don't know how best to send over a number/contact email in case you're willing to chat that way? Otherwise I'm keen to speak through here. It seems like such a complex condition and people (myself included) don't seem to understand the severity of it and what it really entails.

Thank you for your response, would love to talk at some point!
    Hi again! I’m more than willing to help out where I can. I’ve loved with this condition for quite a long time now so I feel like I should be able to help. 
    Is there any way we can do this rather than on a public forum do you know? Thank you!! 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @T_BBC, and welcome!

As you're a researcher, do feel free to include your email address in your first post. I'll make sure the moderators are aware, and any community members who are interested will be able to get in touch with you directly. If you would like any assistance with this, just let me know or email community@scope.org.uk!
  • T_BBC
    Hi @Nattie3 and @Pippa_Scope

Thanks letting me know! I'm not entirely sure how to edit my first message...

@Nattie3 my email address is tom.parkinson@bbc.co.uk, please feel free to send an email whenever suits you best, I'd love to chat!

Tom
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Added it for you now, @T_BBC!
  • T_BBC
    @Pippa_Scope thanks - good stuff! 

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.