Carers Allowance/Pension Lump Sum — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Allowance/Pension Lump Sum

Confite
Confite Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I am in receipt of Carers Allowance for looking after my husband.  I am approaching my 60th birthday and have a private pension that is due to mature.  There is a lump sum of £11000 approx, which I am considering taking about 8500 this tax year and the remainder next tax year.  I do not have any other income besides the Carers Allowance.  If I add the Carers Allowance that I have had this year (only since July) and the £8500 of the lump sum. That should keep me below the tax threshold.  But would it affect the Carers Allowance for this financial year/next

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @Confite

Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing this with us. Some of members will be able to answer this question for you.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I think you need to get further advice regarding this as even though my benefit knowledge is very good i'm unsure of the answer to this because it's a tax question, rather than a benefits question.

For the pension lump sum, does your husband receive any means tested benefits?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Confite
    Confite Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi 
    my husband receives attendance allowance high rate, state pension and a small private pension, no their income

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.