Fibromyagia - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromyagia

Comments

• mdam
    mdam Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Hi debbiedo49.
     I agree we are pain warriors. Keep going and I hope the injection helps when you get it .I have had difficulty sleeping . I am seeing a different GP who is trying new medication. I am being weaned of citalopram and starting a new antidepressant which helps you sleep it is called Mirtazapine. I have only took a few so far and sleep is definitely better. But have been very groggy in day time. I  think this will get better given time.
     Take care and good luck.
  • ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Hi @Emmach75, @mdam & @debbiedo49
    Just catching up with you all - having had a pretty horrendous pain week myself!  It is so great to see the support that groups like this can offer each other and I hope that you will find this, Emma.
    I take pregabalin - similar to gabapentin - and have used for sleep amitryptilline and mirtazepine in the past, but the grogginess was a huge problem for me.  
    Finding a GP who is understanding makes such a huge difference - along with a pain clinic and some the pain courses where you can meet up with others.
    Debbie - I am a non smoker but use a CBD vape with some success, particularly for spasms.  The cartridges are quite pricey but my first has lasted me 8 months - although I guess I might not use it as much as others.  I am also currently trialling a CBD liniment which is sprayed directly onto the skin.
    Good to meet you all fellow pain warriors!
    Claire
    Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk
  • Emmach75
    Emmach75 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you yes sometimes the pain is awful. I had mirtazapine for my first antidepressant but it made me so groggy ? I couldn’t function or drive. I’m on citrapine now and it a bit better. X
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • debbiedo49
    I got my steroid injection last Friday. So far it’s not made much difference ?
  • fenfisher
    fenfisher Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Probably take 7 to 14 days before you feel the affect I have every 6 months 
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
     Hi everyone Been in agony the past few weeks. My doctor gave me codeine but they make me sick. Its so hard with an invisible illness as you look ok and really in so much pain you could scream. Having been going through a lot of stress which definitely makes the pain so much worse. 
  • debbiedo49
    @Firefly123 sorry to hear that. I’ve been bad too and you just think it can’t get worse then it does eh? I can’t take codeine either as it upsets my stomach to. I’ve been using heat wrap and ibuprofen and upped my Gabapentin and had a steroid injection which is all trial and error. Right now I’m looking at books on kindle about fibro esp around diet as I think certain ones can trigger inflammation so they say and it may be true. If I get any tips I will post them as I know we try anything to get less pain. It looks like my trusted cups of tea may need to go as dairy, sugar and sweeteners and caffeine can be triggers. I honestly live on tea lol. I am gonna try reducing the amount of tea I drink first replacing with herbal tea. 
    Make sure you look after yourself and go go to your g p x
  • Firefly123
    Hi @debbiedo49 i also drink a lot of tea. Had steroid injections in both shoulders they did help for a while. Drives me crazy not being able to do simple things like take my jacket off. Any tips very much appreciated x 
  • debbiedo49
  • debbiedo49
    My steroid injection hasn’t helped much. 
  • Firefly123
    Im hoping wiith the improvement of the weather my pain gets less as been rough for so long this time 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    Stress and "negative" feelings (depression, sadness, anger, etc.) can make most pain conditions worse - it's a biochemical thing, not just psychological. Lack of sleep does the same. "Positive" feelings do the opposite. Obviously when you're dealing with limitations to your daily function you're not going to be feeling happy! If you can reduce stress at all it'll help. If you're not sleeping, see if your doc can give you a few sleep meds? I find that really helps.

Maybe that'll help...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    edited May 2019
    @Firefly123 I know what you mean, I'm finding my hands and such have been pretty sore due to the cold! 

One other thing, do you have any problems with your armpits?
  • debbiedo49
    What's wrong with your armpits @WF2k? I get pains when my bra cuts in after a couple of hours just on edge of my armpits
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    The left one has been painful for months, don't wear a bra very often, last time I went about the other arm pit she claimed it was probably a blocked sweat duct.
  • KayTessyman
    KayTessyman Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I hear from and read other peoples experiences and I am amazed - I was diagnosed with fibro & chronic fatigue by a rheumatologist in the hospital (referred to him due to swollen knuckles etc - saw him twice - initial appointment then the diagnosis appointment). Rheumatologist immediately discharged me back to my GPs care - I was(am) prescribed Gabapentin, started on a low dose and it was titrated up - taken off any/all prescription painkillers, given voltarol emulgel for the pain and pretty much left to get on with it. its been a couple of years now and I am just slowly getting worse.

In some ways I am better because I have learnt my limits, but in others it is just getting worse and worse. My mobility absolutely sucks, I am pretty much housebound and have been for the last year or so, as its too painful/exhausting to walk further than/longer than 5 minutes or so. It takes me almost 3x as long to get somewhere as it used to. I have a walking stick and have just purchased a rollator (walking frame thingy). I did ask my GP to be referred to physio/anyone who could help me with my mobility problems and hopefully suggest things to make it better. To which I was told 'we do not refer for this anymore'.

I was already on major antidepressants before this so they have not been increased at all, the only addition to my prescriptions has been the Gabapentin which I am now on 900mg 3x daily. 

I envy everyone who has gotten further help and support from their healthcare providers. I have just literally been diagnosed, discharged and left to it! I am at a loss on what to do next. I was supposed to go for a blood test towards the end of March, but I have been unable to get there yet due to mobility and lack of money to get a taxi (its not far but have been put on universal credit so we are permanently skint).
  • Firefly123
    Mostly my shoulders and hands are the worse making self care really painful. Been told i should get physio but when is amyones guess. The problem is invisible and im to calm about it even though i really could scream in pain.
    A new thing ive been getting lately is my knees sticking and is very painful trying to straighting. My legs. Our burning in my feet like they are on fire. 
    Been waiting to get better but its been considerably worse for months now so im sort of accepting what i can and cant do. 
  • debbiedo49
    @Firefly123 I get all of that to varying degrees and I do think with the pain and debilitation of fibro something is going on that weakens the muscles. What annoys me is I have self referred to physio and they say we do not treat fibro. They do not have the knowledge. I'm asked what can they help me with, what one thing and I get 4 sessions including the assessment. So the other thing is that I am quite flexible, or was, for the tests they use as standard. So they say oh my you are strong or you are flexible when's every other area I am not. So their standard tests suck for fibro. For past 6 months I've hard horrendous neck and shoulder pain. I was told to go straight to physio. They said I had a muscle spasm and a complicated name for the muscle of the neckband shoulder. I was given no instructions or meds for pain apart from use heat pads or go swimming. Then I went back to gp who said steroid injections and increase pain meds. That's not working. Now I'm waiting around 2 months now for an appointment for an ultrasound on my shoulder. Which I'm not holding my breath for on the NHS. It's a disgrace. I know I'm ranting but if I could afford private health care I would definitely pay for it. 
  • Firefly123
    Oh i understand completely we all need to rant at times. i had the ultra sound and was told it was frozen shoulders and nothing they can do about it. Some day i might be able to use my arms properly. As im a carer for 3 young adults on the spectrum i kinda need my arms.
    But yes i get them saying so what can i do for you well hopefully something seems they just say all is to do with the fibro or my latest diagnosis of osteoarthritis so should just suffer. 

Brightness