Do you have a hint, tip or life hack to share with us? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you have a hint, tip or life hack to share with us?

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @Kimberley01!
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Some great tips there guys ....most so simple but it needs someone to make you think about it...then " click " the light comes on ??
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Use a slow cooker for everything! I buy chopped meat ready for stewing and throw everything else in. Press on and get on with the rest of the day. It saves a lot of time and stress ?
    Couldn't agree more! I'm not a very adventurous cook and with good reason after once setting fire to spaghetti :D, but the slow cooker never lets me down.

And thank you for sharing @Seanchai, that made me smile!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Adrian_Scope Thanks for sharing. Had a few friends who could burn water lol..

Is there anything you wished to know. 

Please ask me, always trying to put recipes on the forum.

Easy to do and some are full of cheats, tricks and tips.

Happy to help and be supportive.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I use a pizza slicer to cut meat like chicken into bite sized pieces during or after cooking  as I find it easier and safer than sharp knives. My grip varies and I drop knives ouch. 
    My electric cooker has a timer I would be lost without it. I have used electronic timers in the past which are just as good and mobile. Microwave with continuous sound timer on end of programme.
    Apps on my mobile phone have changed my life eg: medication reminder app with reminder to order. Alarms for everything I need like 4 in the morning for getting up, getting  a shower, getting ready, going out. I do everything in stages lol. Calender app with reminders to suit.  Step app for counting my steps which helps me overcome agoraphobia and feel achievement.  Banking app, kindle app and so on.
    Cordless iron so I can use either hand and no tangles on cord.
    I wear mainly pull on off clothes as I struggle with buttons etc 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Do something you are a bit scared to do but would love to do every now and again.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Sam_Scope More kitchen tips, tricks and time savers.

Buy hard cheese like Parmesan, Cheddar and others grate using food processor grater. Then to a plastic box one for fridge one for freezer.

Then does not go off. Any left over cheese like you might use whether grated or not in to a freezer box.

Great for toppings on Baked Potatoes add Lasagne or Pasta. 

Have a jar of Pesto to stop from going off in the fridge when open. Add a thin film of olive oil.

To make dressing for salad easier and cheaper to have a screw top jar.  Have Mayonnaise, Dijon Mustard, Lemon Juice as well as Olive oil. Extra Virgin is expensive ordinary Olive will do.

Use a screw top jar. Coat measuring spoons in Olive Oil . Prevents excess on the spoon and slides off. Use this with honey.

Any meat to use always remove a half hour or more to room temperature. From the fridge and leave.  On a kitchen unit before cooking into pan.

Never from the fridge . Takes longer to cook straight from the fridge. This is because meat is cold and takes longer to come to room temperature. When in the pan.

Always heat your pan up and keep the temperature minimum. Some pans have a spot which goes dark red when pan is ideal temperature.

Fish if buying from pack remove from the pack onto kitchen towel pat dry and let it come to room temperature.

Grease and oil plastic storage  boxes for storing food in the fridge or putting in the freezer. With tomato based sauces. Prevents staining of plastic boxes.  Use Rapeseed or Veg oil or Olive. With a kitchen towel to wipe on a thin film.

Any left overs to cool down before storing in the fridge, add to a glass or Pyrex bowl. To a sink with cold water. This prevents hot food being stored in the fridge.

Causing bacteria problems in food. Then when cooled down. To a greased oiled storage boxes.

Hope that helps any body.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • gaz1960
    gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
    Actipatch. An electromagnetic field pain relief device. Works on joints,not so good on soft tissue.

Constant field of electromagnetic wave pulses in to the joint and blocks the pain signal to the brain. 

Can highly recommend it. 

Long(tiny)battery life! 720 hours continued use. Can switch on and off. 

Battery can't be replaced,new device needed to be bought. (That's how they make the money folks)! 

Usually about £19 to £24 each. 

Great for knee pain. 

A pity they don't make one to fit the whole of someone's body! :)
  • Threesticks
    Threesticks Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    I like to make my own bread. I put all the ingredient into a plastic resealable bag and knead it in the bag. Hey-presto no sticky hands and easy to put it into the baking bread tray. Wash out the bag for your next batch.

I can't get my kids in the oven, erm I mean bread lol. Because I can't bend down, so I get my kids to do it for me ( they are adults, still my kids though ). Working on a device to help with that one.  I know there are bread making machine, but it's not the same as making it yourself.
    If you fight, you won't always win. But if you don't fight you will always always lose.
  • Angela36
    Angela36 Community member Posts: 11 Courageous
    Cades, thank you for this brilliant tip.  So appreciated and I will pass it on. X 
  • Angela36
    Angela36 Community member Posts: 11 Courageous
    DEMENTIA Carer Tip 2

I found putting a black mat on floor close to the front and back door was perceived as a hole ...therefore confused and delayed opening the front door (and going walkabout)  that delay gave me enough time to say something like,  “ kettles on, do you fancy a cuppa?” ..... I hope this tip helps you

Brightness