Unexpected letter- "we need to look at your claim" - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unexpected letter- "we need to look at your claim"

Comments

• prettypetal
    prettypetal Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I am just guessing here but I feel if you got a letter then there might be a good chance you qualify as they didn't send them to every ESA claimant? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    I am just guessing here but I feel if you got a letter then there might be a good chance you qualify as they didn't send them to every ESA claimant? 
    No, this is not true. They're sending the ESA3 forms to all those that transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA, regardless of whether you qualify or not. DWP would not know who qualifies without assessing their household income/savings/capital.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • C_Herath2009
    C_Herath2009 Community member Posts: 26 Listener
    Oh no my heart sinks and i have been crying today (Reading over past Traumas that i seriously thought i had under control -Then they became not under control 17 times i tried to get through to DWP (I got cut off 3 x yesterday all i need is a new blasted Form i to had a ?Moment i tripped over my crutches and fell over a lamp i though "Oh well it blooming hurts but i have had far worse pain next day i have a burn bigger than a 50p this has really depressed me beyond belief even worse when i went to the Brain Injury Unit 11 People some in a far worse situation than me have had all there money stopped ...One has been waiting 11 months for a Madatory Whatever they apparently stop one they stop them all (The reason there are no disabled people or uneployed is because we are all trying to get through to the DWP who i spent 4 depressing hours waiting to get through was cut off when i did get through ?The music i know by heart and i HATE it ..I nearly requested I'M GOING SLIGHTLY MAD ...I still do not have the form that has been incorectly filled in by my social worker i am tempted to shove it all in a large envelope send it off anyway as i can't take any more reading off my medical HISTORY.G.P. did say NOT BEDTIME reading (Not i am afraid reading for anytime off day or night ....So i went out i ventured out with my Dad got a few odd looks as had sunglasses on through crying ..Its put me off my food everything i feel like i am doomed for the streets and the soup kitchen ...This is the biggest ?‍♀️off Justice ever rather than discriminate against cheating people ?(They ether are just paying themselves like lovely AMBER RUDD  ?)Why does she not resign?Do the correct thing none off them are fit for office?Sorry not being Politically Correct.But this form has made me more ill than i have been in ages i can't understand even the questions i have no hankerchief pocket ?(If i did no matrer how hard it is i would drag a hankie out ..)What relivance does a hankerchief pocket have i have one wrist thats in a brace because its broken and gone wonky -the other one i have neuropathy?Because off the Brain Injury i have no idea why they are going on about carying a ltr ?I can't cary a cup without droping the darn thing...This is really bad timing apparently they text you 9 days afterwards to get back to you mine is due back on 21 st December
  • Vampster
    Vampster Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi... I am new here... I have just been reading some of the posts on here about the ESA3(IBR) form well more like a ruddy booklet.. I now feel a lot more reasured now.. I get cb esa and they just moved me in noNovemb 2013 straight from ib to cbesa.. I am getting the same amount each week as JamesG is... I live with my mum she is over 80.. i have filled my form out and going to post it on Monday and wait till I hear back from the DWP Thanks for the reassurance tho guys it's helped me relax more now knowing that they are looking into if they have underpaid me.... I recently was awarded pip and I am still surprised at how much they have awarded me with that... maybe they could have another unexpected surprise for me... 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi @piglet101

Thank you for the post and I'm sorry for the delay in replying.. I'm wondering whether there's any local help yo can get with the form or with collecting the bank statements from the bank. I guess if you don' t do internet banking AND have a printer at home, they would send them to you in the post; you have to divide them up and send them on. 

If you want to search for local help, try www.advicelocal.uk. I realise that this might or might not help with the practicalities of the administration for this. 

Best wishes

Gill_Scope
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
    edited January 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Midas
    Midas Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    edited January 2019
    Hi, thanks for this thread it is very informative.

I filled this form (ESA3) in a few weeks ago and have just received a letter telling me they have awarded me some money which dates back a few years.
    One thing I have realised since I filled the form in is that I made a mistake. One of the questions asked if I received mobility, I actually read that as do you have a mobility car for some reason, which I do not. I have since realised that what they actually meant was do I receive DLA (higher mobility) which I do. Only on the form I said I didn't because I misread the mobility part as motobility, meaning car.
    So my question is, do I need to get in touch with them, will this make a difference as to what they decided I was entitled to? As it is very difficult to work out how they calculate things.
    I cant seem to find anyone I can call that can help with this.
    Once again, thanks for the thread and website..

PS. I read above about "The Severe disability premium (SDP)"
    What is this and does it affect me?

• poppy123456
    Midas said:
    Hi, thanks for this thread it is very informative.

I filled this form (ESA3) in a few weeks ago and have just received a letter telling me they have awarded me some money which dates back a few years.
    One thing I have realised since I filled the form in is that I made a mistake. One of the questions asked if I received mobility, I actually read that as do you have a mobility car for some reason, which I do not. I have since realised that what they actually meant was do I receive DLA (higher mobility) which I do. Only on the form I said I didn't because I misread the mobility part as motobility, meaning car.
    So my question is, do I need to get in touch with them, will this make a difference as to what they decided I was entitled to? As it is very difficult to work out how they calculate things.
    I cant seem to find anyone I can call that can help with this.
    Once again, thanks for the thread and website..

DLA isn't means tested and claiming any part of this will not affect any income related top up you receive.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • [Deleted User]
    Hi @Midas

Also, whilst getting a certain level (middle rate) of the care component of DLA does satisfy one of the conditions for getting a severe disability premium, the mobility component doesn't make a difference to your entitlement to ESA. There no premium that you qualify for because of having the mobility component of DLA or PIP. 

Gill_Scope

• Midas
    Midas Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Hi @Midas

Also, whilst getting a certain level (middle rate) of the care component of DLA does satisfy one of the conditions for getting a severe disability premium, the mobility component doesn't make a difference to your entitlement to ESA. There no premium that you qualify for because of having the mobility component of DLA or PIP. 

Gill_Scope

Thank you Gill and Poppy.
    The reason I asked was where it shows how it was all worked out they keep listing the higher mobility thing as £0.00 along with the ESE figures. I really don't see why they would list that if it had nothing to do with the claim. I should probably give them a call?
  • poppy123456
    The reason they list other benefits is because that's what you claim, they list them whether they're deducted from your ESA or not. DLA and PIP isn't means tested so it's not deducted.

Sorry but i don't know what ESE is.

As advised your high rate mobility isn't counted for ESA and doesn't qualify you for the severe disability premium (SDP) for this you need MId/high rate care DLA, live alone or classed as living alone and no one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you.
  • [Deleted User]
    @Midas

Agreed Poppy. Midas, you don't need to call them to say you have high rate mobility of DLA - their letter shows that they already know. One occasion when you don't have to worry. It makes a nice change. 

Gill_Scope
  • katie6
    katie6 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi I have had a letter saying I’m owed 3396.80 phoned esa 7 people told me that I’m due it to be back dated then one said I ain’t cause I have a career for my pip, so do u not get it if u got career so confused, waiting on manager to call me back now said it will be in next 48 hrs, can anyone help so confused
  • SC83
    SC83 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    This is why I'm confused about the whole thing. I know I'm definitely entitled to the premium of £15 odd a week. On the letter I was sent though (ESA3), the date was specific to just one year, which was 2012/13, which was when I was transferred from IB. Looking back though from 2013/14/15/16 I was payed even less. My circumstances hadn't changed. Does anybody know if the DWP will check the later years? 
  • PaddythePogue
    PaddythePogue Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi, my query is similar to the previous one . The letter I received also referred to  just one year, 2012/13 . I believe I will get the premium of £16.4  a week.  But can anyone say if it will be just for that one year, or will it be backdated from 2012/13 to the present?  
  • PaddythePogue
    Re ESA arrears; please help ; a previous post stated ;  "The form requested information for the dates between April 2012 and May 2016. During that period I had no savings & no partner." My situation is the same EXCEPT I was only asked about the period OCT 2012- OCT 2013. Does THIS MEAN i WILL ONLY BE CONSIDERED FOR arrears relating to that 52 week period - meaning my MAX PAYOUT WILL BE £52 X £15 [OR £16.4, or WHATEVER THE enhanced  PREMIUM WAS AT THE TIME ?]  
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Paddy

The only people that can answer your queston is the DWP.
    If you have all your paperwork from 2012 up to present then an advice agency near you may be able to shed some light on it.
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • PaddythePogue
    Thanks for responding. I'll call them.
  • Therapy76
    Therapy76 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, I have terminal cancer, i get ESA with support group payment, and Disability income Guarantee. PIP with both enhanced amounts due to my terminal condition. My original applications for benefits were made by Benefits expert at local Maggies centre. I got a letter today saying i may be entitled to Severe Disability Premium because of the benefits i already qualify for. I have no carers and live alone. My question is as it seems I have been eligible for this payment since my benefits started will this be back dated for the last 3 years .? I also have a DS1500 form stating I am unlikely to live for 6months or more. Thanks in advance is very complicated trying to find a straight answer online.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.