Hi, my name is crazyjan! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is crazyjan!

crazyjan
crazyjan Community member Posts: 56 Pioneering
New to the group and too nervous to post anything.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @crazyjan welcome to the community! It can be daunting wr first but I assure you we are a friendly bunch! Would you like to tell us a bit about yourself? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @crazyjan

Welcome please please don’t be nervous.

We are a very very friendly bunch on here.

I am one off the Community Champion’s at Scope.

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with?????

@steve51
  • crazyjan
    Thanks. Am I even in the right group? I'm 62, hearing impaired, have longstanding mental health issues. I've just been sent an appointment for pip assessment and I'm terrified. Don't know how to get through it. 
  • steve51
    Hi @crazyjan

Yes, but we do have many more groups.

We have got many members “ready & waiting”

We have got lots of info & advice on “PIP”

Are you having any help & support????

Their are many members who have gone through the assessment & others who have just started like myself.

@steve51

• crazyjan
    Thanks Steve. I'm trying to find my way round. Glad to get friendly replies so quickly!
  • steve51
    Hi @crazyjan

“No Probs”

Please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with???

@steve51
  • crazyjan
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I have a hearing impairment too, let us know if you need any help finding any specific information :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • crazyjan
    Thank you so much. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @crazyjan Pleased to meet you welcome. Thank you for joining and sharing. We do understand. You have come to the right place for support, information and friendship.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

I do understand from reading you have a PIP assessment. I know this can be difficult and not easy to deal with.

I myself have mental health issues and have a disability including partial deafness.  Have been through the assessments many times.

Please if I can suggest when you received your appointment you get a booklet on how to deal with anything on the day.  Also has additional information you need to know.  Read it carefully.

Also may I further advise do you have any support?  Could be a support worker, floating support. A friend or a neighbour to go with you.

I know this is a stressful time for you. Having been there I know that sometimes talking to your Doctor before hand does help give you some reassurance.

This is something I have done. Add to that after wards as well.

Just there additional support or any sign posting to anything relevant.

Do you have support for your mental health?  Something to consider.

I use mental health charities. Used this one last time.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk

Useful for mental health wellbeing and support.  Can help with welfare and benefits.  You can self refer or through your Doctor.

We are here to be supportive. Ready to listen. Please ask any questions we are here.

Happy to help anytime.

Wish the best for a positive outcome.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @crazyjan :) How are you doing today?
    You may want to join our visual and hearing impairments discussions, mental health discussions and have a look at our preparing for pip assessment page. Please let us know if you have any questions, I can understand how you feel, please keep us updated :)
  • crazyjan
    Thanks all. I only knew about my pip assessment last Saturday, my appointment is this Wednesday, so not much time to prepare. Husband will come as I can't go alone. I have recently moved, have a new GP who doesn't know me. Will Capita have all my details? I was on DLA for years. Only just been referred to CMHT where I now live, so they don't know me either. I'm in such a state about it. Have been looking at the pip pages here. Quite a relief to have found this site. Thanks for listening and being so friendly. It means a lot. 
  • crazyjan
    I have depression and anxiety and have been hearing voices since I was a teenager. They are getting worse as I am so stressed. This is horrible.
  • thespiceman
    edited April 2019

Hello @crazyjan.  Thank you for reply please to give you some reassurance.

I myself have moved five times in twenty years for basically finding the right support and guidance for my mental health.

So I know this not easy to deal with new area.

I have anxiety and depression myself. Also know visiting the Doctor first time never easy and sometimes so hard to explain what you need.

Suggestion I have is to  write it down. What do I need to say. Only limited time some of these surgeries. Do bullets and write it down in the form of.

Arrive at GP. Please can you read this thank you. Hand GP notes. I still do this right now.

Other idea is to have an advocate appointed by you through. Usually either mental health teams should be helping you with that.

In my case spoke to RETHINK  an advocate charity who helps those with mental health . Need a voice.

They would make an appointment with you. Ask you what you need to say. They will say it for you at any meetings or appointments.  With you in the room.

I use them a lot in the past and it does help.

Please can I add one thing I have learnt regarding mental health is you need to be honest and open. What do you want from any service or how can they help you.

I stress this because I learnt the hard way. Said no a lot which means they removed me from their services. Would not have me back.

Which means me moving again or finding other services to use. Reason mental health charities. Always. Understand and would hate to see this happen to you that is all.

CAPITA will as far as I know only have personal details. 

I think what is the important thing to give you more reassurance is your husband is attending.

I assume you have informed your mental health team.  They are important to talk to. Give you some support.

You need to try to talk to them. By accessing that help and support they offer guidance and some additional advice.

Know some services might supply additional information. In the assessments.

I know this a lot to deal with.  Have been there a lot of the time.

Have been doing assessments on going twenty years plus .  Every one is here to be supportive. You do not have to apologise.

We are friendly.

Please if I can help further please contact me. Be happy anytime to listen.

Hope you take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • crazyjan
    Thank you. This is helpful. It is good to have your contact and not feel so alone.
  • thespiceman

Hello @crazyjan Thank you for saying that. How are you today?

I know you are not alone with what you are going through.

Please be happy to give you reassurance and support anytime.

We as a community are supportive.

Please if you need to chat or talk .  Please get in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • steve51
    Hi @crazyjan

Good Luck for tomorrow for your assessment??

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with for tomorrow ?????

@steve51

Brightness