Can they close my ESA account ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can they close my ESA account ?

maggieomx
maggieomx Community member Posts: 131 Courageous
Iv now moved to wales from manchester im on income related ESA  they have now asked for all paperwork regarding my house sale apart from ESA im on severe disability payment and aslso pip an iv got a car.
I know they are going to stop all my benefit as iv got £39.000 in bank from my house sale i was advised on here to tell them not to close my ESA account to keep it open and pay my stamp ?? Can they still close it if they want too ?? Thanks 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @maggieomx, as you are over the savings threshold this may come into play plus the fact that you have moved to Wales they may not have reciprocated benefits as the UK. As regards your PIP the two benefits are not related and should affect each other. You must contact DWP for an explanation of your situation since your move to Wales keep the community updated this could be an interesting outcome.
  • maggieomx
    Yes i understand the xcess money in my account will stop my esa benefit.
    But i was advised on here they must keep my ESA account open to pay my stamp into.
     Im also on severe disability payment .
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    SDP is part of income related ESA and all payments for ESA will stop providing all your ESA is income related. Yes you can still keep your claim open to receive your NI contributions towards your state pension, if you still need to. It will be worth checking your state pension to see how much more contributions you need because keeping your claim open you will still have to go through all the re-assessments as normal. At this point it will be worth speaking to an advice centre near you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • maggieomx
    Thankyou poppy x
  • maggieomx
    Poppy who pays my NI contributions into my ESA  account ??
    Them or me ??
  • poppy123456
    DWP pay them to HMRC they are NI credits towards your state pension only! 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    You only need 35 years NI credits now for the full state pension.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• maggieomx
    Hi all moved from manchester to wales was on ESA  iv finaly moved told Dwp iv sold my house got money in my acount from the sale they ask for paperwork regarding sale/proof of my house sale asked for a bank statement to show what money has finally gone in my bank account i.know i wont get esa due to money in my account.
    I was advised to tell DWP to keep my ESA account open to pay my pension stamp  which i did.i sent all this paper work to them near 3 weeks ago but have not heard anything back from them how long must i wait to hear back from them ?? 
  • poppy123456
    Are you still receiving money from ESA or has that stopped?
  • maggieomx
    Yes im still getting a lower ammount of ESA than i was doing.
    But today i recieved a capability of work questionaire form ?? 
    If they are stopping my ESA as iv got over £30.000 in the bank from sale of house why do i need to fill in this form ?? And maybe go on a f2f exam ??.
  • poppy123456
    You need to ring DWP to check if you were receiving Income related or Contributions based because if all your claim was income related then all of your money should have stopped by now. If it was part contributions based you were receiving then you will be entitled to approximately £110 per week because savings won't affect that.
  • maggieomx
    It sounds like its contributions as im getting £223 per fortnight i think ? Il check when i get in ?
  • maggieomx
    Will i need to go for the f2f exam ??
  • poppy123456
    maggieomx said:
    Will i need to go for the f2f exam ??
    Yes, you will need to fill the form out and return it with all your evidence and a face to face is most likely.
  • maggieomx
    Hi poppy just checked i get £223.30 per 2 weeks ?
  • poppy123456
    Could be contributions based but you'll need to ring to check just to be sure.
  • maggieomx
    Iv been granted P.I.P till 2027 would this change things about having to have the f2f assessment ?
    i near had a break down worrying about my p.i.p one??
  • poppy123456
    maggieomx said:
    Iv been granted P.I.P till 2027 would this change things about having to have the f2f assessment ?
    i near had a break down worrying about my p.i.p one??
    No because they're different benefits. You can send your PIP assessment report and decision letter as evidence, it may help. I'm not saying it will for sure but there's no harm in sending it.
  • maggieomx
    Iv just got in contact with DWP and the lady said im on CONTRIBUTION BASED   ESA  
    what does that mean please ?? Does it affect the money i have in my account ??
    Thankyou x
  • poppy123456
    It means that your savings don't affect this and you'll still receive the amount you're receiving now, which is £223.30 every 2 weeks.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.