Bad Neighbours — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bad Neighbours

Rycbar
Rycbar Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello,
Apologies if there is already a thread for this but I couldn't find it.
I need some help with how to deal with a bad neighbour. The situation is really beginning to affect my mental health .I  scared to leave my flat sometimes and although resisting at the moment feel like drinking to block it out.
I have a shared communal entrance with the neighbour so contact is difficult to avoid. The police and housing have been involved about the harassment but without proof they cannot do anything. Examples are emptying my cupboard in communal area,  gluing up lock to my utility cupboard, verbal harassment.
Please can someone advise what to do .I feel at my wit's end & a prisoner in my own home. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rycbar welcome to the community! So sorry to hear what has been happening, sounds awful! Have you been keeping a log/diary of when these events have taken place?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Rycbar
    Rycbar Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello, 
    Thank you. Yes I have but without proof of who is comitting these offences they are powerless. The Community Police Officers have spoken to him about ''mindfulness' to his neighbours. The Council wants proof but want let me install cctv. I am on a catch 22. My sister says installs cctv, argue with council later.
    I don't know what to do. I hate this 
  • Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Hi @Rycbar
    I'm sorry to hear about this problem with a neighbour. You have done the right thing by bringing the matters to the attention of the police and your Council. I tend to agree with your Sister, regarding the instalment of a CCTV, but without seeing the layout/plan of your housing it is difficult to understand if it would be any use and of course the footage would need to be recorded 24/7

'IF' there is a regular pattern or a certain time of day of when your neighbour does these things, then it may be easier for you to record. You should also record or take note of any verbal threats of a violent or abusive nature and/or anything that affects your safety.  I had a late Auntie that suffered at the hands of a neighbour, and she was advised to get a solicitor involved which she did. The solicitor wrote one letter to the neighbour in question, and the abuse immediately stopped. This may be something that you could do for yourself, as such letters are mostly taken very seriously by those that receive them personally named & addressed.  
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Rycbar Sorry to hear this. Thank you for sharing your post.

Sorry to hear what you are experiencing.

My concern is that it is effecting your wellbeing. As you added it is effecting your mental health.

You have been given a lot of practical advice.  From our members.

I have had similar issues with neighbours. Did you speak to the Hate crime Unit.

The Community Police should have passed that on to them.

They arranged a meeting with the neighbour with me present.  As well my support worker in attendance.  I had the chance to say my views and in a sensible way.

Had to listen to me.  Sudden realisation of how it effecting me mentally.

No more.  Harassment, problems.

There is one other solution. I know you may not want to, move.

Being a member of a community who is disabled and having mental problems. Sometimes moving is the only option.  In my own circumstances.

I myself have moved five times in twenty years. Some places and areas for 18 months due to neighbours.

Because recovering from addiction did not wish to be near me.

Understand every one is here to give you support, ready to listen anytime.

Please keep in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness