Hi, my name is MarkEdwards! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is MarkEdwards!

MarkEdwards
MarkEdwards Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hello Scope community, I am pleased to meet everyone

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MarkEdwards welcome to the community! Would you like to tell us a bit about yourself? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @MarkEdwards, welcome!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • MarkEdwards
    Thank you for the replies. You might regret asking for an introduction, as I am not sure if I am interesting but I am married to Karen and have 5 children, ranging fro 27 to 14. I am 56 years of age, and have diagnoses for Asperger’s Syndrome, Tic Disorder and ADHD. I worked in the Civil Service for 32 years and held posts such as corporate Strategy, Risk and Business Continuity Manager, have been a contact centre manager, VAT inspector and Tribunals Officer. I left the Civil Service because my employer failed to apply reasonable adjustments and I could not cope with the office environment. However, I remain driven and keen to do well so hope to return to University next year to study for a Masters or PHD. I see everything positively and try to succeed and do well. My passion is to encourage others to do their best and achieve their potential, and do what I can to create a fairer society where quality work is accessible to everyone, particularly to those with disabilities.
  • Ami2301
    Love your determination, @MarkEdwards! What course are you hoping to study? :)
  • MarkEdwards
    Hello Ami, thank you very much indeed for asking; I am in a sweet shop with a fiver in my hand looking at the goodies!

Want to do diversity and inclusion as I want to make a difference for autistic people (such as increasing understanding of reasonable adjustments or services which can be provided) but prefer history or criminology. Have applied to volunteer with Scope, and would love the chance to help.

What about you? Do you have ambitions to do other things?

• Ami2301
    That sounds amazing! I'm one of the community champions here on our online community. Charity has always had a special place in my heart and I love helping people. I hope to be in the charity sector for many years to come!

I enjoy writing and its opened up a world of opportunities for me which I'm really grateful for. But charity is my number one :)
  • MarkEdwards
    Thank you Ami, I hope one day to be able to help Scope, it looks like a brilliant organisation for  people who have a range of disabilities. It is great to see awareness being raised about the organisation’s mission. That is so important to know that an empathetic person is available when times are difficult
  • Ami2301
    Would you be interested in becoming a Commu city Champion? It is so rewarding helping others! :)
  • MarkEdwards
    Hello Ami, yes, I would love to (but worry I am taking advantage of your good nature)
  • Ami2301
    edited April 2019
    Not at all! We are always on the lookout for new community champions! :)

A community champion is a member who would like to volunteer their spare time helping out on the community. The role includes:
    • Welcoming new members.
    • Signposting members to sources of information which may be relevant to their question/situation.
    • Reporting any spam or any posts which do not cohere to our community guidelines.
    • Flagging up posts which suggest that a member is at risk or putting others at risk.
    • Answer any unanswered posts.
    • Keeping the community a safe and supportive place for everyone.
    You can volunteer as little or as much as you would like, we really appreciate you taking time to commit to helping out on the community!

For more information, have a chat with @Sam_Scope or @Adrian_Scope :)
  • MarkEdwards
    Hello again, thank you very much indeed. I will contact Adrian later this morning. Got an appointment at half past nine but will write as soon as I get back
  • Ami2301
    Hope your appointment goes well :)
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @MarkEdwards Pleased to meet you. Welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions.

You have met my friend  The Amazing @Ami2301 .

Hope you enjoy the time with us the community. Please may I add welcome aboard if you are to become a community champion.

Look forward to working with you.

Every one here is wonderful and marvellous. Supports every one .  Ready to listen.

Some of us have health histories that we use to help and advise our community members.

Which is very useful and can be beneficial to those going through difficult times.

Mine are my mental health issues and my addiction history.

Been clean and ongoing twelve years. 

I also have a disability which also I can be supportive. Those having problems to adapt to new circumstances.

Pleasure to meet you.

If I can help with anything please ask happy to help.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MarkEdwards

Welcome it’s great to meet you this morning.

I am also one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

It’s great to know that you have already meet my good friend’s @Ami2301@thespiceman

Please let me know if there’s anything that I can help/support you with???

@steve51
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @MarkEdwards :)

I have asked @Adrian_Scope to email you with a bit more information about our community champion roles :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness