Mental health text service launched by royals — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mental health text service launched by royals

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
Shout has been created by Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and will provide mental health support at the moment of crisis through texting. The charity Heads Together was originally created by William, Kate and Harry and they believe this is their most exciting announcement to date.

The text service would enable people to get instant mental health support wherever they are, allowing them to do this privately and silently. The aim is to intervene at the moment of crisis so a more long- term approach can be implemented. Much like Samaritans, the service would be available 24/7 to everyone.

The Duchess of Cambridge said: It’s able to offer support when it is crucially needed and the opportunity to turn lives around. This really is an important step for those desperately in need.

Also, they have called for volunteers who would be able to spend time training online on how to support people and then be able to dedicate 2-4 hours a week to supporting people who use the service. This voluntary work can be carried out at home or anywhere that has a secure internet connection. 

Please see the MSN article for more details.

What are your thoughts on this? Is this something you feel is beneficial? Tell us your thoughts below!

Scope

Comments

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    @Chloe_Scope It's sounds a good idea for those that have just started suffering mental health, I've been through all the samaritans etc and didn't help me as I'm to far gone with my life that's in a mess.

Im already under the mental health teams, and have been for many years.

But I hope many will find it useful, and wish them good luck with it.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Government_needs_reform, thank you for sharing this with us! I am sorry to hear the current charity support is not beneficial for yourself. It's good that you are under a mental health team, I hope they offer you enough support. 
    Scope

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    @Chloe_Scope Thanks. But as I said it will help many I'm sure.

Yes my mental health team are just about keeping me on the level, I suffer serious physical problems, have tried many times taking my life after events when I younger and now with all my restrictions now I feel more vulnerable than ever, having autism as-well things have just got worse.

Having the DWP always at use really don't help, I just want them now to leave me alone now, they have well documented evidence I'm never going to recover again.

In a few years im near retirement if I make it..
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Chloe_Scope Thank you for sharing this.  Much appreciated.

I am aware this week is also Mental Health Awareness week.  Most radio stations are running a few minutes of a segment explaining it is good to be listening.

I do think this might help and probably be very useful if the funding the number of volunteers are adequate coverage, the big issues always.

The problem with most schemes are that. Not sounding negative but just being honest and open.

This is the other issues I do think are important. In my experiences have met those who do not wish to discuss or talk about how they are.

Which I have said previously is not helpful or useful. In another post.

Would this help just texting and finding the right guidance, support with their mental health.

One of the other problems are there are a lot of people who are in the situation I am in.

Used up all the resources of the area . I reside in.  If I had an issue or a problem need to access the support to maintain my wellbeing.

Would I be rejected. One of my fears, insecurities.

Has happened.  Even last charity as I have been before twice in five years. Have added no point coming back.

Not nasty anything like that. Do recommend them to others just had to let me go. One of the other problems .

Those in a far greater need some really do need. As for myself can cope just some days.

Understand that and where do those with long term issues . Doing OK but have the odd blip or problem. Like last week with myself.

Do have them. Struggle to cope but some how manage.

Discussed this last year with the GP .  This very issue .

Something I have seen lately on the forum . More and more.

What do we do as members of the community.

Reason why use this forum to help, give me support and guidance.. Understand if I need to be feeling this way.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @thespiceman, thank you for sharing this with us- some very interesting points!
    Scope

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.