Hi, my name is mel_4ears! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is mel_4ears!

mel_4ears
mel_4ears Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
Hi, I'm Mel. I'm in my late twenties and I'm hard of hearing. I wear hearing aids in both ears. I have a cat, Kissy, who is my pride and joy. I love writing, books and gaming. 
Fibromyalgia, hearing aids, depression, anxiety, OCD 

Comments

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hello @mel_4ears welcome to the community. I’m Emma one of the Community Champions. Happy to help if you need any assistance navigating the community or have any questions at all.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @mel_4ears how are you doing today? Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing this with us :) 
    Please feel free to join in our visual and hearing impairments  discussions group and our coffee lounge - where talk about art, books, movies etc.

We look forward to seeing you on the community. :)  If you have any questions, please let us know.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Brilliant to have you with us @mel_4ears, welcome to the community! What are you reading at the moment and what sort of things do you like to write?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mel_4ears

Welcome it’s great to meet you this afternoon.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with?????

@steve51

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mel_4ears welcome to the community! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • mel_4ears
    Hi everyone! It seems like a lovely place here!

I'm doing ok today, thank you. Managed to get out for a few hours, but my body is rioting now! I also have fibromyalgia (and am still staggered by how hard it makes even the tiny tasks) and mental health issues.

I am a massive SSF and dystopia fan, so I mainly read and write that. I'm currently reading Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers. It's good. For writing, I am working on a sort of Ghostbusters type thing.

• Adrian_Scope
    A Ghostbusters type thing sounds fantastic @mel_4ears. Let me know how it goes!

I've not heard of Record of a Spaceborn Few before. Would you recommend it? I've read quite a bit of Kevin J Anderson and Peter F Hamilton, but the latter can be a bit dry and heavy for my tastes. I'm currently reading Senlin Ascends, which is a bit of a break from what I normally read.

If you need some advice, or have any particular questions about support for your conditions, don't hesitate to let us know!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • mel_4ears
    @Adrian_Scope Are those hard sci-fi? I find those mostly too dry too. Peter F Hamilton's children's fantasy series looks really good though. Record of a Spaceborn few is the last in a trilogy. The worldbulding and eco statement aspects are amazing, as are the characters, diversity and writing. It just... lacks a plot, as such. But the first two books were really good. They're more about characters than plot though, except the second one. The second one is a bit faster. The first was well worth finishing though. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    I think Kevin J Anderson's been heavily-influenced by Star Wars (which explains why he's written quite a few Star Wars books himself!) and leans more towards light space opera, but Peter F Hamilton is very hard sci-fi and while his speculative concepts and worldbuilding are incredible, I find myself switching off a bit! :blush:

I'll have to check out his fantasy series and maybe give the Record of a Spaceborn few a try. Always on the lookout for new books.

How are you finding your way around the community?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • mel_4ears
    I love the aesthetic of the site and the people are lovely! I wish there was more forums for us to chat about things not related to disability though. It can get a bit depressing, I find, and I need distractions from the struggles.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Thanks for this @mel_4ears! :) We’re always looking at ways to improve the community and this sort of feedback is invaluable.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness