PIP process when living with MS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP process when living with MS

Options
LindaButler1970
LindaButler1970 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
edited June 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I wanted to know has anyone out there gone through the process of PIP for someone living with MS recently as I know it quite a task and humiliating as I can walk 20 meters on a good day, first thing with an aid.

Comments

• jolew
    jolew Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    Options
    I have MS and had my PIP assessment last year. I was extremely worried about it, but also didn’t want to go to the assessment centre as I also have sciatica which is aggravated if I have to sit for too long. I informed DWP about this and as a result I was assessed at home. As it was a long process I had to go to the toilet half way through. When I got back to the sitting room the assessor commented on the distance to the toilet and that I had managed to walk there and back. My heart sank as I thought this was going to go against me and worried sick for the weeks between assessment and the decision. Thankfully I did get PIP at the higher level for mobility, I explained that some days I can’t walk at all if I do too much and get that sudden collapsing fatigue. I would advise that you make a list of all your symptoms and how they effect you even if you don’t have them every day. I find that my weakness is worse if I get hot, so summertime is very difficult, showers and cooking too!
  • LindaButler1970
    Options
    thank you for your comments its really helpful. I know what you mean about getting too hot I suffer with this as well. I'm also going through the change so hot is my middle name! Glad you achieved and outcome of sorts. We keep positive.
  • jolew
    jolew Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    Options
    @LindaButler1970 I am hoping this summer isn’t going to be as hot as last year. I was housebound as it effected me so badly.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. It totally depends how your conditions affect you. As everyone is affected differently then you can't really compare 2 people.

Have you applied or thinking of applying?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LindaButler1970
    Options
    Thanks for your comment, just wanted to know about others with MS who have gone through the PIP process. 

• Survivorgirl58
    Survivorgirl58 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi linda 
    I have set up a petition to abolish these Atos/Capita Lima tick boxing, yes no method ofassessment
    which are not fit for purpose! and don't recognise or take into account dibilitating, fluctuating long-term chronic conditions.

Please sign this petition and share it with you family, and friends and social media 
    I have fibromylagia which is a very similar condition. 
    Its on  Change.org.uk
    Here's the link
    http://chng.it/v76rwLSH

Good luck keep strong a d let's get changes x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.