To those disabled, and unable to work - How do you occupy yourself on a day-to-day basis? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

To those disabled, and unable to work - How do you occupy yourself on a day-to-day basis?

Comments

• RSISolutions
    RSISolutions Community member Posts: 128 Courageous
    I mainly go on Eventbrite and search for free or cheap things to attend.

I was previously an engineer so I am aware of many professional organisations that put on lectures, seminars and conferences. So I attend lots of these. The lectures are normally free and for the seminars and conferences sometimes you need to pay. I write to the organisations, explain my situation, ask them for a free ticket and transport. Often people are very willing to help and are sympathetic. When I get lifts I see it as a way of networking and perhaps finding out about work and getting back into work.

I also attend a local church which gives me a great way of having social contact with people. There are lots of different departments to volunteer at and if you are not reliable, and tell them you're not reliable they are often ok with this. 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @Zebra88

One of your activities made me smile - rock painting. Someone had painted a frog on a smooth stone and then put it on the edge of one of our grass area on the estate. I was surpised that it lasted a couple of weeks before it disappeared, assumedly to find some water, but it did make me smile at the beginning of the day and at end when I walked past it. 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• jolew
    jolew Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    Most days I paint, I think it is the only positive result of having to retire at only 49! When I was working I had no time for art. Art was my main subject as a teaching student but I didn’t pursue this as a hobby after I left Uni. What I now enjoy most about art is there is so much to learn and many different ways of making a picture. It is always a challenge! Enjoy your pastels Ealysound.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    What sort of things do you paint @jolew? Would you be willing to share any with us? I'd be interested to see. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • jolew
    @Adrian-Scope I have mainly been learning to paint watercolours over the last few years. I paint all sorts of subjects from flowers to landscapes. I have been very frustrated lately as I feel I need to settle and find my style. I am willing to share, I keep an album in my ipad of most of my paintings. I can post a few here how many should I post.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I had to give up my last job as a Child Care worker in 2017 due to my deteriorating health after an hip replacement and I have Spina Bifida.  It was hard to come to terms with at first, but gradually I have got used to it.  I am a member of a local knitting group which I really enjoy being part of as the ladies are really friendly and I am loving doing the knitting.  I also have a mobility scooter that I enjoy going out on to the local shops, library, etc.  I live in a rural area too so the scenery here is really pretty and I enjoy just getting out when it's nice and sunny.  I like to cook and enjoy trying out new recipes.  I visit my family and friends when I can, although that can be difficult at times as they live over an hour away from me.  My husband writes books so from time to time I help him if he has any readings at schools or if we are going to any book fairs to sell books and I really enjoy chatting to people there.  I have newly started as a Community Champion here at Scope so am really enjoying the experience so far and would recommend doing this to member.  I also am a member of another couple of online forums which I participate on at times and am looking into starting a blog.  I will admit that I do miss working at times (especially when I meet up with the friends I worked with) but realise now that I am in a new chapter of my life and just try to keep as busy as I can.  I have a mad cat also who loves playing endlessly so if I am at home and she is awake then I don't get a chance to become bored - lol!  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Ails
    Hi @jolew,
    Wow!  Your paintings are fabulous!  It must be a good feeling to know you have such a wonderful gift.  :smiley:
  • jolew
    @Ails, thank you! I am Still learning, and practicing skills. I believe most are capable of learning to draw and paint if they have the will to put in the practice and enjoy the process. There are many magazines and Youtube demonstrations that will teach step by step how to paint or any other art or craft that takes your fancy. I love learning new things!
  • Ails
    You are welcome, @jolew.  All of your practicing is certainly paying off!  My dad is a very good drawer and enjoys it.  You are right in saying that you can get many online demonstrations for arts and crafts.  I like to knit and sometimes watch YouTube tutorials on it as still learning too.  It's great to learn new things!  :smiley:
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thanks so much for sharing these @jolew, they’re very impressive! I wish I was in any way artistic. What I picture in my head is never what materialises on paper. Do you have a piece in progress at the moment?

What sorts of things do you knit @Ails and is it children’s books your husband writes? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • jolew
    @Adrian_Scope, thank you, but like you what I hope to achieve doesn’t always happen lol! At the moment I am learning oil painting with a palette knife, looks easy when you watch an experienced person dong it but it is far more difficult than it looks.
  • Ails
    Hi @Adrian_Scope,
    I am still very much a beginner with my knitting and have only managed to knit a couple of scarves so far and some squares for a blanket.  I have just started a children's cardigan so will see how that turns out as I am not that good - lol!  I do enjoy it though.  Yes, my husband has had 2 children's books published so far and has written an adult short story (yet to be published) and is currently writing another story about space.  He has a flair for writing, but then I am biased - lol!  :smiley:
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I miss going to knitting groups. I've basically been hiding in my bedroom for 1.5 years.
  • Kell430
    Kell430 Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    @jolew great paintings xxx
  • jolew
  • ScoliFibroGirl
    ScoliFibroGirl Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Ome thing that’s my lifeline is distance learning , it gives me a chance for try and finally get a a degree and I can do it from the comfort of home.. I am
    not giving up.. i am also a huge lover of forums, chatrooms, music and I adore YouTube and Netflix. I find that i listen to music, radio, Spotify, podcasts, so I don’t get lonely and so it doesn’t feel depressing watching daytime tv.. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    2louises said:
    This situation scares me. My daughter is Autistic and has only one more year left at school. My daughter wants to go college and learn performing music, but her school doesn’t think she’d cope. I don’t know, I think with right support she could. Wether she’d get that isa different matter!  She needs to kept interested or she gets bored and just walks out or starts doing her own thing. What we’ll do if she can’t go I’m not sure. Her own social worker suggested YouTuber which I wasn’t impressed by! (no disrespect to those that do) .
    Perhaps try to find disability exercise classes? Use the Internet to find activities. Have you tried RDA? 
  • Bingo
    Bingo Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Music for me (When I am not doing political stuff on social media).  I set up my own recording studio in what used to be my office,  That sounds more impressive than it is.  Couple of cheap keyboards, guitars, bass etc that I have collected over the years, couple of microphones and some recording software.  Its not Abbey Road!  :D  I can spend hours in there that pass in a heartbeat.  Recently started working with a very talented female singer who is at the other end of the country.  Technology allows us to record remotely.  She needs a better mic but if anyone is interested here is a recent recording of "Wicked Game" we did. (We both do our own stuff as well).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XigbSyma4Ak

Just picking up a cheap second hand guitar from a charity shop for twenty quid could be a gateway for years and years of enjoyment if you have the time.  I cant sing and Im no Eric Clapton but its never stopped me.  :)
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Earlysound Thank you for sharing.. Making your self keep yourself motivated.

Find what you like to do. I know it is never easy to be disabled have an illness or a condition.

The most essential  aspect of that is how you deal every day with it. Be good to yourself not what others think of you.

I have bad days, struggle strive mentally but make my self good food.

Time out for meditation, relaxation.

Brain training look for programmes on TV that aid memory.  My quizzes.

Use the day to instil in to yourself a routine.  

My day starts off with Classic FM no boring news.  Look to the first meal of the day Breakfast make it enjoyable.

Look at the website here. Or on line find feel good stories to heal and recovery.

Have a look on TV anything feel good upbeat or educational all helps to be focused.

I get myself down depressed and need to find sunshine..  Just have a selection of music that is up beat.

Volunteering does not have to be involving going out. I cannot so volunteer here as community champion.  On the forum. Something to consider.

Have a look on line anything there.    Create a diary to plan anything.  Mark down days that this the day to do certain tasks. Does it matter if you do not .  Do them another day. Cleaning and tidy up is a form of exercise but makes you feel good.

Does not have to be strenuous .  Difficult one room at time.

Remember small steps. Life is a journey I know a much used phrase but what is important is finding what you wish to do.  Not others who may cause you hurt and harm.  

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness