Online appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Online appeal

Options
Bdh2008
Bdh2008 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
edited July 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi I lodged my appeal online back in September still awaiting date for hearing. I am confused as to whether I will have the appeal online too? I’m in the midlands and have just read about appeals being held online now so am confused as to what will happen now. Thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour (74%) Paper based decisions are possible but the chances of success are much lower between 5-8%. I've not heard of Tribunals being held online to be honest.

You can ring HMCTS to ask what the timescales are in your area but backlogs for a lot of areas are huge and some are waiting at least 1 year for a hearing date. Once they have a date they will write to you to tell you when and what time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Online 'text box' tribunals were being trialled in the Midlands amongst a few other pilot areas, the last I heard. Apparently they'll be reviewed by the same panel who would attend an in-person tribunal. If the decision from that appeal is disagreed with by the appellant, then they can progress to an in-person hearing as well.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Bdh2008
    Options
    Does does this mean because I appealed online my tribunal will be online as I’m in the Midlands? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As you requested your Tribunal in September of last year then you really should contact them to ask. You may receive a date very soon and you do need to be prepared for this. Any extra evidence you need to send should be sent no later than 10 days before the hearing date.

Maybe some face to face advice will help. This link will tell you what's available in your area. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    Hi @Bdh2008. Unless you were specifically told you'd be a part of the online tribunal trials, I wouldn't expect your tribunal to be online, but there's really no way of knowing. As Poppy said, it's best you contact them to find out.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Bdh2008
    Options
    Ok thank you I will contact them I have someone from welfare rights representing me. He has said he will go through it all with me when I have a date. 
  • poppy123456
    edited June 2019
    Options
    You have representation which so many people find very difficult to get. You should ask them any questions you have and they will be able to tell you everything you're unsure about, it's one of the reasons why you have representation. Good luck with the appeal.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    Hi Mike,
    Thanks for the information. A very interesting development in the digitisation of the appeal process.

As for why your posts haven't been approved. We've been in discussion about this and while some of your posts continue to breach our guidelines, you'll remain on moderation. If you want to discuss this further, you're welcome to email us at community@scope.org.uk
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.