Do you have a hint, tip or life hack to share with us? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you have a hint, tip or life hack to share with us?

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Two more tips that have been useful 

If we are at a pub or restaurant I politely ask the waitress if we could move one or two chairs to make room for a wheelchair. 
    On day trips I always try to find out if there is a disabled wheelchair friendly toilet on site for us to use.
    It simplifies what is often a challenging task for me. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    I find remote control plug socket adapters very useful. Can turn on and off upto 5 from one controler useful for TV etc. Also use for outside security light
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • April2018mom
    I can think of millions of tips 

1. When concentrating on a project, assignment or any kind of work, put your mobile on do not disturb and download the app Hold from your app store/play-store, that way you can focus directly on the assignment, piece of work and your mobile is elsewhere holding. You can even use it for watching your fave soaps.

2. Download apps like wunderlist,  to do list on your app store and store all of your to do on there.

3. From Amazon order an Elfink book, it's really simple to write your To Do lists on your Elfinbook and then rub it off with a cloth, I use it for everything from writing notes, reminders, to lists and I take everywhere I go with me. But you will need an erasable pen.

4. Use an app like coach.me for reminders for everyday essentials. Have I taken my meds this morning? it's logged on your mobile.

5. Take your meds as prescribed by your GP

6. Make use of websites outside of Facebook for social contact, join groups on facebook for your interests, activities, things you love doing.

7. Use Siri if you struggle to text 

8. Have an interest you love doing, don't just sit and dwell on illnesses and disabilities, make sensible plans for yourself

9. If you have nice groups in your area, then why not try it out? if not suggest using online colleges and make use of your local college/university.

10.   Stay away from faddy things that believe that long term illnesses and disabilities can be cured. You will see an advert on facebook "I tried slimming world and lost 18 lbs and my fibromyalgia is gone.

11. Make use of youtube, Netflix or any kind of streaming service to help you through the day.

12.  If you are feeling lonely and low at times, I know the feeling, it helps to have the radio on during the day or your favourite Spotify.

13. Get some penpals, write letters, bullet journal.

14. Play with your pets

15. Always seek help you are feeling extremely low.
    Good advice!
  • GettinOlde
    GettinOlde Community member Posts: 495 Pioneering
    Use a slow cooker for everything! I buy chopped meat ready for stewing and throw everything else in. Press on and get on with the rest of the day. It saves a lot of time and stress ?

I will eat just about anything (apart from offal - mum used to try and make me eat tripe), but my partner's such a faddy eater and she gets worse by the day. :/
    Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • bluebob
    bluebob Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Hi all if you have some pallets lying around why you do what I'm doing . I'm marking my own patio furniture it is so simple and is very satisfying to . I saw some furniture inHomebase last and it cost over £450  that's the main reason I made my own . I'm also getting people asking me how much do I sell them for . 
  • GettinOlde
    Don't mention pallets to me, I have a very noisy neighbour who, after complaining of the sawing, hammering and drilling at all hours of the day and night (4 am in the morning?!?!?) over a period of 6 months, says he was deconstructing pallets - didn't say what for, but I suspect he's building a c4nn4bis farm or even bunks for his many regular 'visitors'. :#
  • bluebob
    I'm really sorry to gets getinolde . I don't make to much noise as I respect others . All I do is take one set of legs off and screw together sand down and paint all done within 
     2 hours . I really do hope all is now quite on the western front.  Ron 
  • GettinOlde
    edited June 2019
    bluebob said:
    I'm really sorry to gets getinolde . I don't make to much noise as I respect others . All I do is take one set of legs off and screw together sand down and paint all done within 
     2 hours . I really do hope all is now quite on the western front.  Ron 
    Don't get me wrong, I think your's is a great idea - just don't like what my neighbour does with them in the adjoining flat.

In fact, if you lived next door I'd commission you to make a patio set for me.
  • April2018mom
    One more tip don’t feel ashamed of your child’s weaknesses and limitations. 

This is something I learned the hard way. Oh and do teach them life skills too. 
  • GettinOlde
    One more tip don’t feel ashamed of your child’s weaknesses and limitations. 

This is something I learned the hard way. Oh and do teach them life skills too. 
    ... and don't scrimp on the praise for your partner's efforts no matter how trivial you think they might be.
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    A tip for helping to save food especially if your on a budget. If you have any ingredients left over from a meal, you can gather left overs and put them into the fridge and use them to create a meal for the day after. I picked up that tip from a programme for people who live on a budget /low income. Hope this is of some help. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Tammyjane33 Pleased to meet you thank you for sharing.

One other tip is to make enough for two meals.  Eat one and freeze the other.

Freeze one in either a plastic tub.  First oil the tub with vegetable oil.

Prevents staining if you do that.  Helps especially those meals with Tomato based sauces.

Or use Zip bags and lay them flat to freeze then stand them up like a book. In the freezer saves space.

I make batch cook all the time happy to help just contact me.

Always have recipes.  Simple and easy.   Things like soups and Bolognese or Chilli plus lots more.

Do not cost a lot.  

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • ellisael
    ellisael Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I read this hack somewhere and it reeally blew my mind. Hope nobody has shared it already and if somebody has well, kudos, we prolly read the same magazines :smile: In case one has shoe bites because of a slight difference in the show size, it can be cured! One has to fill a bag with water that fits the shoes perfectly (2 separate bags for each) and then freeze them overnight. The freezing will ensure that the show expands just enough to rid your shoe bites and also not be too big for your foot. 
  • GettinOlde
    Great tip - jus hate that online-press etc. now call them hacks.

• GettinOlde
    One other tip is to make enough for two meals.  Eat one and freeze the other.
    Right Spicey, now I can blame you for exacerbating my already enormous belly - if I make enough for two, I will eat enough for two. :p :joke:
  • bluebob
    We said getinolde I'm the seem if the wife makes some really nice meals  and if I enjoy it there won't be any left to freeze especially  puddings mmmmmmmm my mouth is watering now lol . Hope everyone  is well and enjoying the sunshine

Brightness