Hi everyone, here I'm known as wheeliegran — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi everyone, here I'm known as wheeliegran

wheeliegran
wheeliegran Community member Posts: 20 Connected
 I am an electric wheelchair user, married for longer than I can remember, three grown children, and so forth.
I have two adorable dogs. Love trips to the beach, countryside and our local parks.
I love to sew....badly. Have gone as far as I can in both my husband's and my own genealogy. 1700s
I am looking forward to making many friends here

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @wheeliegran   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join our community.

You come to the right place for friendship, support and information.

Please have a look around our website. We are friendly, care and share.

Please get in touch if you wish to know anything further.  

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wheeliegran

Good Afternoon & Welcome ??

Yes I’m also an electric wheelchair user.

I am one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Please please contact me if I can be off any assistance????

@steve51

• wheeliegran
    Hi @thespiceman and @steve51
    Thanks for the welcome, the site is really interesting with a lovely mix of community.
    I will get in touch if I need anything.
    thanks again 

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wheeliegran

Yes that will be fine/anytime?

@steve51
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wheeliegran and welcome to the Community.  Thank you for introducing yourself.  You have a lot of good interests.  The geneology sounds fascinating!  What kinds of things do you like to sew?  I too like trips to the beach and countryside.  I hope you enjoy your time on the Community.  It is a wonderful place to share and chat and I have met some lovely people on here.  You will too.  All the best.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • wheeliegran
    Hi @Ails
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I loved doing the genealogy but it was when I had the ability to sit at the computer researching online for hours on end, now I find I get very tired using the iPad, but my sight isn't what it was lol.
    i have made lots of cuddly toys in the past, a twirly skirt for my granddaughter, plus other things I can't bring to mind at the moment, recently I made a little floor quilt for my newest great granddaughter.  I'm in the process of learning to quilt mug rugs in different quilting and patchwork designs, very taxing for my poor brain these days....hopefully the weather will cool soon so we can take our dogs to the beach, it's too hot at the moment to travel as our rescue girl doesn't fair well in the heat. It's nice to be able to come on here and know there's always something interesting.
    all the very best to you to..  :D

• Ails
    Hi @wheeliegran.  You are very welcome.  Lovely to meet you.  Yes, the geneology does sound fab!  Do you watch "Who Do You Think You Are" on TV?  I would love to search my family tree.  Your sewing work sounds great!  Do you have any photos of your work?  What are mug rugs?  I'm afraid I have never heard of them.  I'm not a sewer myself, but I do enjoy knitting and arts & crafts.  Yes, this weather can get too hot for animals.  What kinds of dogs do you have?  I have a rescue cat, but used to have a couple of Dalmatian dogs.  They were really boisterous, but very loving!  I'm glad you are enjoying being on the Community.  I only joined last year myself and find it a wonderful place to chat and meet new friends.  Have a lovely weekend!  :smiley:
  • wheeliegran
    Lovely to meet you to Ails...It really is a lot easier now to do genealogy...if you know your family history back to 1901 the place to start is the 1901 census where you can find those relatives at home with family. There was also a census taken every ten years back to 1841. Then there are births marriages and deaths to find on freebmd.org they range from the early 1800s - 1980s so you could work back that way to. I have a ton of birth marriage and death. certificates and made up folders for each of my children. They can add to them as more information becomes available and more family members are born, marry or die. It's never ending and very addictive. I watch WDYTYA sometimes...especially if I know and like who the celebrity is. It can be very entertaining and sad to.
    i used to knit, mainly cardigans for the children and babies. I have knitted some church mice many years ago that we still display at Christmas. I've only a few photos of items I have sewn and sadly none of the faux fur fabric lions, monkeys, and puppy dogs I made many years ago for my grandchildren. A mug rug is smaller than a place mat and will take a cup and saucer, one I am making at the moment dies and also has a pocket at the side with a napkin in..when I get the points of the triangles to match that is lol... they can be any size you want to make them but once they get place mat size they lose they're mug rug title. I love crafts and have made a lot of cards using different techniques, I have an automatic die cutter and embosser as manual ones are to hard for me to use. I have a heat gun and mat and emboss with that and embossing powder, that can be good fun to. I want to learn it paint, I have all the gear to learn acrylic painting and though I don't have a steady hand and can't draw for toffee it will be fun. I love Dalmatian dogs they are so regal. I have a Shih Tzu named Kimball he's usually called Kimmie and a rescue Bischon Frise named Rosa they're both seven. Rosa is an ex breeder with a horrendous past, she is still very scared of men but my wheelchair she took it straight away and though it took a few weeks she's a mummy's girl..they're both adorable and we wouldn't be without them. It is a lovely place here, I find learning about others disablilities is very interesting. I've heard of so many but not known exactly what symptoms they caused.
    I shall try and upload a couple of photos.
    wouldnt it be good if there was a hobby and pet page where people could display photos of their hobbies and pets. it could give others the inclination to try a hobby or just see them and photos of pets and if they wanted to learn of the benefit and what involves looking after different species of pets! 
    Have a lovely weekend I hope you have nice weather where you are.
  • Ails
    Hi @wheeliegran,
    Thank you for the lovely post.  It sounds as though the Geneology has certainly kept you busy over the years.  It is fascinating!  I used to work beside a lady who did Geneology too and loved it!  Maybe I will give it a go sometime!  You sound as though you have knitted many lovely things over the years and I now know what a mug run is so thank you.  I knit also, but just basic stuff so far like squares for blankets and have started a child's cardigan which I am enjoying.  I go to a Knitting Group which I really like.  The Community has a section called Kaleidoscope where members can post photos of arts and crafts/hobbies/interests and share ideas and I believe that you can post pics of your pets too here if you wish, you will find the link below:-  
    https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/41283/kaleidoscope-our-own-gallery-for-members-art-work-crafts-and-photographs?_ga=2.36595298.378420982.1561746567-281155157.1556140304

I look forward to seeing some of your work.  I hope your painting goes well and that you enjoy it.  I like to make cards too and have a wee craft kit with jewels and stickers in it.  

Your dogs sound adorable and lovely names.  Yes, the Dalmatians were great, their names were William and Oscar.  

Glad you are enjoying being part of the Community.  Great people on here and a nice place to share and support.

The weather was rubbish here yesterday in Scotland, but a bit better today, thanks.  Hope you are enjoying the sunshine.  Have a lovely weekend and all the best.  x  :smiley:

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @wheeliegran! :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • wheeliegran

Brightness