Are they taking advantage — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are they taking advantage

Harp
Harp Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
I sent off the PIP form approximately 2 weeks ago and I got a letter back yesterday for the time and place for the assessment which is in the centre of Birmingham at 4.55pm at rush hour time. 

I have am visually impaired, have learning difficulties, anxiety and stress.

I hate being in busy areas for a number of things. 

I know it is probs Al to with the assessment but I think they crossed the line. 
https://www.facebook.com/1Voice.Vision.of.the.heart/
Everyone has the right to have a say in what ever method they use

Comments

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    They proberly dont look at what is wrong with a person when they send out appointments. 
    Are hospitals defanatly dont look if we disabled/elderly
  • Harp
    Harp Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    You thought they should look as it saves the hassle changing things 
    https://www.facebook.com/1Voice.Vision.of.the.heart/
    Everyone has the right to have a say in what ever method they use

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    I had exactly the same thing.  I specifically asked for a time when traffic would be low and few people in the waiting room...yet I got a mid-rush hour time as well.  The appointments are probably computer generated but it's pointless including a 'special requirements' box on the form if no one checks it first.  I'm not able to use phones so couldn't change the appointment either.  When I got there I was told the appointment was cancelled last minute which really did feel like they were doing it on purpose as I don't cope with change well either.  The whole thing caused me several days of extra anxiety and IBS issues afterwards but of course they don't see that!!
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    I'm sorry you've had to go through that. Can they do a home assessment? 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    HarpHarp,

This almost certainly isn't deliberate, but it could still be against the Equality Act 2010.

You have a right to have an assessment which is accessible to you and which doesn't cause you any additional disadvantage.

I'd suggest ringing to try to get this changed. They should take all your conditions into account, and probably haven't done that so far as others have suggested - because a computer generated your appointment! It's still not good enough though and you can ask for what you need, including a home visit if that is required (though you will need a doctor's letter for that). 

They can't claim they didn't know what you needed as you've already told them....

How to contact Capita is here:

http://www.capita-pip.co.uk/en/contact.html

You can see their other assessment centres on this map, if that's helpful, in case another location would suit you better:
    http://www.capita-pip.co.uk/en/locations.html

You don't always get what you ask for, of course, BUT you have a right to an accessible appointment that doesn't damage your mental or physical health.

Good luck with it!

If you don't get it changed and you do feel it is unsuitable you can complain:

http://www.capita-pip.co.uk/en/complaints.html

And it may be worth taking other action, too. But see if you can get it changed first.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    Most first appointments are computer generated so asking for a time when it's less busy or a specific time scale on the claim form doesn't always get you what you ask for. Changing the appointment time/date is possible but you can only do this once.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sheZZa
    sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
    @ilovecats
    i had a text from IA asking me to ring a number to arrange my assessment time and date. I phoned the number and was given a choice of venues, dates and times. Obviously I picked what was suitable for me.
  • drewdundee
    drewdundee Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    I received a call about my assessment to. Granted my one was done through ATOS. They did offer me different venues.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry it's been chosen at such a busy time @Harp! I imagine this would just make the whole thing even more stressful. Like it has been said, you are able to change the appointment but only the once. I hope this is a more suitable time for you :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.