Live Music and Going to Gigs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Live Music and Going to Gigs

csno01
csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
On a similar note is there anyone here who enjoys live music? Who have you seen recently and who would you like to see? 

I saw Take That back in April. They were very good. I think I would like to see Biffy Clyro next.

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    I like live music, but not loud noises or crowds lol.  I've been to a few small live music shows and stay towards the back/edge, no-one particularly famous or well known so far.  I'd like to see Ed Sheeran who will be playing just 10 miles from me this summer but the traffic and crowds will make it impossible for me sadly. :(  Just watching the Glasto crowds on TV this weekend makes me anxious, can't even imagine being amongst them!  Next show I'm aiming to go to is a bit different, it's a more classical band in the gardens of a stately home, so should be nice and chilled. :) 
  • csno01
    Hart86 said:
    I used to love gigs and music festivals! Can’t wait til I’m able to go again. Always wanted to try Glastonbury and V Fest.

Last one I went to was Download Festival ... in 2004 ☹️!! 

How did you find Take That? 
    Hi Heart86,

Wow 2004 seems a long time ago now don't it. Download. Is a good festival although its sometimes too heavy for my liking. V Festival is ok, although things might have changed now. I went in 2003, 2005, 2007 and 2008. The organisation was a bit meh back then due  to the accessibility, although things have got better over the years.I also went to Reading 2004 and 2006. Take That were spectacular. 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to love going to live gigs too, but haven't been for a while now.  Best gig I have been to is Elton John a few years ago as he played for over 2 hours and was excellent so definitely worth the money!  Rod Stewart is fab live too!  I have also been to see a few tribute rock bands with my husband in pubs/clubs as he is really into his rock and heavy metal and saw a tribute ACDC band with him once and they were practically as good as the real thing!  I've been watching Glastonbury too on TV this weekend and have some friends who have been before and would love to go to a festival as well.  I have heard only good things about Take That in concert.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I love live music! Although I have only ever been to one festival which was last year- it was a lot of fun though!

I have to agree with @OverlyAnxious and Ed Sheeran is my favourite! Which song of his do you like best?
    Scope

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    I love live music! Although I have only ever been to one festival which was last year- it was a lot of fun though!

I have to agree with @OverlyAnxious and Ed Sheeran is my favourite! Which song of his do you like best?
    I'm not sure I could pick just one!  I'll listen to most things, just depends on my mood that day, I've got both Divide and Multiply albums in the car...as well as various other genres right back into the late 70s! :)   Do you have a favourite?
  • Chloe_Scope
    It is a very hard decision @OverlyAnxious! I would have to say wake me up (plus album) is probably up there! 
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,326 Disability Gamechanger
    My daughter has autism, a learning disability and social anxiety disorder but one of her most favourite things to do is go to concerts, despite the large crowds of people around her. She focus's on the concert itself which somehow blocks out the fear she feels. She never goes anywhere alone so usually her sister will go with her. She's a massive Taylor Swift fan and did attend 2 of her concerts last year when she toured the UK, both in the same place. Luckily her sister won tickets for the 2nd night by entering a radio competition.  Being a stadium tour as well means it was huge. She never gets hugely involved like others and refuses to shout, scream, wave her hands and make a show of herself but for her just being there is a big thing.

She receives respite money as an extra in with her direct payments and this is one of the things it pays for, as the money is their for her to do the extra things she wants. I've lost count of the amount of concerts she's been to in the last couple of years. Ed Sheeran, James Arthur, George Ezra, Demi Lovato, to name just a few.

I went to my first concert in April, Westlife were preforming near my home so i went with both my girls. I'm not a fan of loud music pumping away in my ears but enjoyed the concert and we had a brilliant evening...well, who wouldn't, it's Westlfie ;)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    It's so great that your daughter enjoys live music so much! Some very good artists there as well @poppy123456!
    Scope

• lunapetunia2
    lunapetunia2 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    I am seeing Nahko tonight in Bristol.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @lunapetunia2 and a warm welcome to the community! I hope you have an amazing time!
    Scope

• Ails
    Hi @lunapetunia2 and welcome to the Community.  Enjoy the concert!  :smiley:
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Let us know if he's any good @lunapetunia2!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • lunapetunia2
    My husband is really in to him but I am not fussed. If I enjoy any of it, it will be surprising lol.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    My husband is really in to him but I am not fussed. If I enjoy any of it, it will be surprising lol.
    Haha! Well I hope it's not too bad then. :wink:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Morning @lunapetunia2, how did the concert go? :)
    Scope

• lunapetunia2
    I actually enjoyed. I got a seat in accessible area which meant I was mostly alone as we met 2 friends there and I wanted my husband to enjoy bopping around with them. There was a violinist and a trombone player that were incredible to watch and listen. I also met a woman I really got on with and she lives pretty close to me. Hope to hang with her at some point. Thanks y'all for follow-up.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @lunapetunia2, I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself! Sounds like a lovely evening :)
    Scope

• Ails
    So glad you had fun @lunapetunia2:smiley:
  • csno01
    My daughter has autism, a learning disability and social anxiety disorder but one of her most favourite things to do is go to concerts, despite the large crowds of people around her. She focus's on the concert itself which somehow blocks out the fear she feels. She never goes anywhere alone so usually her sister will go with her. She's a massive Taylor Swift fan and did attend 2 of her concerts last year when she toured the UK, both in the same place. Luckily her sister won tickets for the 2nd night by entering a radio competition.  Being a stadium tour as well means it was huge. She never gets hugely involved like others and refuses to shout, scream, wave her hands and make a show of herself but for her just being there is a big thing.

She receives respite money as an extra in with her direct payments and this is one of the things it pays for, as the money is their for her to do the extra things she wants. I've lost count of the amount of concerts she's been to in the last couple of years. Ed Sheeran, James Arthur, George Ezra, Demi Lovato, to name just a few.

I went to my first concert in April, Westlife were preforming near my home so i went with both my girls. I'm not a fan of loud music pumping away in my ears but enjoyed the concert and we had a brilliant evening...well, who wouldn't, it's Westlfie ;)
    Hi Poppy123456,
    I have to agree. Live concerts is a good source of therapy, due to the adrenaline it gives a person. Of course you go fort he music, but for me, its also the build up. From announcing it online / in the press, to the big day!
  • csno01
    I actually enjoyed. I got a seat in accessible area which meant I was mostly alone as we met 2 friends there and I wanted my husband to enjoy bopping around with them. There was a violinist and a trombone player that were incredible to watch and listen. I also met a woman I really got on with and she lives pretty close to me. Hope to hang with her at some point. Thanks y'all for follow-up.
    Hi Lunapetunia2,

Its great to hear both you and your husband enjoyed the show. Whats more, you have met a potential new friend. Which is great when this happens. Even better she lives local to you. Ive exchanged a few words with fellow gig goers but haven't met anyone close to where I live. Who knows!

Brightness