Rebecca Legon: My holiday in Cadiz — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rebecca Legon: My holiday in Cadiz

Options
Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team

Rebecca is a brand ambassador, model and TV presenter. She shares with us her holiday experience in Cadiz, Spain.

Cadiz. The historical port with narrow winding streets, amazing tapas and beautiful sandy beaches. What more could I ask of a city break?

Hello, I’m Rebecca Legon. Yes, that’s my name. Very funny seeing as I only have one leg isn’t it? I was born with a rare limb deformity and to be fitted with a prosthetic leg correctly, I had an amputation at eight years old.

I am delighted to have been asked to write for Scope’s online community to help raise awareness for disabled travel. This topic couldn’t have suited me more.  I absolutely love travelling! I have never let my disability hold me back and I spent the duration of my twenties, backpacking around Australia and America. Also, I am extremely excited to be taking my children (Olive 4, Arthur 1) to Bali and Thailand this summer.

So, I have just returned from visiting friends in Spain. It was a family affair, we are an impressive group of seven, including my two stepchildren (Frank 13, Elfie 11) and our Spanish au-pair.

Our destination was the historical port of Cadiz, which is in the Andalucia region of southwestern Spain. It was founded by the Phoenicians who named it Gadir and its one of Europe’s most ancient cities, with archaeological remains dating back to 3100 B.C. Cadiz is a very popular holiday destination for the Spanish. As well, as being a city break, it also benefits from endless, blue flag sandy beaches. Thankfully, it hasn’t been hit by mass tourism and remains ‘traditionally Spanish’. The spectacular Golden Dome of the Cathedral can be seen for miles amongst beautiful coastline with whitewashed houses, that sparkle in the sun with an African influence.

Our apartment was overlooking Plaza de Topete. A superb and central location just around the corner from the famous food market In Liberty square, (renowned for its extravagant fish stalls).  Our balcony adorned a beautiful city view. The perfect spot to sit with a glass of bubbly, people watch and catch the Flamenco dancers. Every morning the children would run down in excitement to the market stands for their daily fix of the famous Churros. Rick Stein is a fan of Cadiz and he said in his Long Weekends TV show, “Nobody cooks seafood like the Spanish!” And, I can certainly agree with him. If you are the ultimate foodie (like me), you will love this city. With countless traditional restaurants serving perfectly cooked tapas dishes, from as little as €3.  I especially recommend La Tapería de Columela. However, I would arrive early as this restaurant is so popular, it doesn’t take bookings.

Another love of mine was to stroll through picturesque, narrow-winding streets, that easily navigate around many historical buildings such as; the Cathedral of the Santa Cruz, the Falla Theater and Caleta Beach - which is set between two beautiful fortresses (Castillo de San Sebastián and Castillo de Santa Catalalina).

I found Cadiz to be fairly disabled friendly, accessible and extremely easy to get around without public transport. However, if you would like to go and enjoy the best sandy beaches (Cortadura, Victoria, and Santa María del Mar), these are in the modern part of the city, which I would take a taxi or bus (no7). This superb coastline stretches over 7.2 kilometres of sandy, blue flag beaches, with many beachfront restaurants. We especially enjoyed El Potito restaurant, which is located at Victoria beach. This is where we spent our final day at our table on the sand, watching the children play in the sea, whilst eating freshly grilled seafood, and divine tapas. So, Cadiz, I love you and we will definitely be back again soon!

You can find out more about Rebecca's work and her journey on her website and on Instagram and Facebook.

Have you been on a holiday that was accessible for you and your family, if so where? Also, where is your dream holiday destination?

Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Rebecca, many thanks for such an interesting guest blog and sharing your experiences with us.  Cadiz sounds beautiful and glad it is disabled friendly.  I hope you and your family have a lovely time in Bali and Thailand.  :smiley:
    I haven't been on holiday for a while since my condition deteriorated somewhat, but I used to love travelling and found Florida to be really accessible with low pavements, accessible toilets and also you get to the front of the queue at Disney World, Epcot Centre and the other theme parks which is also helpful as the staff there are really kind to disabled people.  My dream destination is Dubrovnik in Croatia which I visited a few years ago with a friend and absolutely loved it!  Although Dubrovnik is quite old and not the most "disabled friendly" of cities, I did manage around it on my crutches and found the history of the place to be really interesting.  It is also a beautiful place and the Croatian people are lovely!  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I returned from a family vacation in the Caribbean yesterday afternoon. It was lovely. Our next family trip is booked for May 2020 we are flying to Europe for 14 days. Wish me luck because I’ll also have a hungry baby traveller with me too. I’m currently pregnant with baby number three. Due in Jan 2020. 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Congratulations @April2018mom.  That is lovely news!  I wish you all the best with your baby and have a lovely holiday in 2020, it's going to be a busy year for you!  x  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Yommy
    Yommy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I beg to differ with Rebecca.
    Cadiz is definitely NOT accessible! My daughter is a wheelchair/scooter user and many buildings, shops, bars, restaurants, toilets inside restaurants are not accessible at all unless you are reasonably ambient. Also the beaches are not easily accessible.  
    I know this because our permanent home is 20 minutes from Cadiz & my daughter has just finished studying at only accessible further education establishment - Escuela de Artes, in the New City.  
    Please be very careful how you define ACCESSIBLE!  Cadiz however beautiful is definitely NOT!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    Hi @Yommy and welcome to the community.
    Really appreciate you sharing your feedback with us. It's interesting to hear another firsthand account and I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Cadiz. Do you have any recommendations for accessible places in the city or in southern Spain in general?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Yommy
    Options
    Yes with obvious caution, I can recommend a great holiday suggestion.

The beautiful low-rise  beach side resort called La Barrosa has a stunning 8km white sand beach.
    Flat access along boardwalks to the sand.  In one location along the step free wide promenade there is a designated wheelchair accessible beach hut on the sand with Red Cross beach surveillance.  They may even have a sea access wheelchair.  Certainly a little further along there is one.
    Along the promenade there are enough of the many bars/cafes/restaurants offering ground floor toilet facilities.  If not truly accessible.
    I would recommend Hotel Novo Mar.
    They offer ground floor rooms with spacious bathrooms.  But obviously it is necessary to check for specific requirements.
    They have an on-site bar/restaurant with step free access.
    There are also many international hotels in this beach front area.
    Good pavements, drop kerbs.
    Fabulous atmosphere & in high season a fun Spanish nightlife abounds.
    Dont expect much English spoken  & not the Full English & pint of your familiar beer.
    But a warm welcome, a caring considerate atmosphere & great value is assured.
    Together with this the local town of Chiclana de la Frontera has good accessibility & Cadiz for a visit is 30 mins away.
    It is a flat region with few steep hills for wheelchair & scooter users.
    Several specifically designed flat pathways into the countryside from the vacation area.
    The medical centres are used to foreign visitors & very helpful.

• Adrian_Scope
    Options
    Thanks @Yommy. Sounds like a great location. Have you lived in the region long?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Yommy
    Options
    Hi Adrian
    Coming up to 3 years, but due to the unusually level terrain & easy beach access, we have been visiting the area for 10 years.
    Last evening we visited a restaurant/tapas bar - Popeye’s - A beautiful sunset view with fantastic accessibility including modern disabled toilet.  Delicious tapas & a great Spanish atmosphere.
    So relaxing knowing my daughter with Muscular Dystrophy is able to sit back & enjoy it as much the rest of our group, no barriers for her.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    It looks absolutely stunning @Yommy. Very envious right now! :smiley:
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness