Unexpected letter- "we need to look at your claim" - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unexpected letter- "we need to look at your claim"

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    Therapy76 said:
    Hi, I have terminal cancer, i get ESA with support group payment, and Disability income Guarantee. PIP with both enhanced amounts due to my terminal condition. My original applications for benefits were made by Benefits expert at local Maggies centre. I got a letter today saying i may be entitled to Severe Disability Premium because of the benefits i already qualify for. I have no carers and live alone. My question is as it seems I have been eligible for this payment since my benefits started will this be back dated for the last 3 years .? I also have a DS1500 form stating I am unlikely to live for 6months or more. Thanks in advance is very complicated trying to find a straight answer online.
    I'm sorry to hear that!

To answer your question, yes the SDP will be backdated to the date you qualified, regardless of how long that is. The quickest way to claim the SDP is to ring ESA and ask to fill out the IS10 form over the phone. Doing it this way, a decision should be made much quicker.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Therapy76
    Therapy76 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi thank you for quick reply, Do you know for certain from my criteria above that I am entitled? From what I have read I am, but some of the sites I’ve read confuse this by adding “may” be entitled is it not a yes or no? thanks again for your help. I have lived with this and constant chemo/radio therapy operations for 12 years in total amd continuos for the last 3 years. To find out I may have died before even being informed I was owed this money is rediculous to me, back dated is almost £10,000 I could have used to make this a lot more comfortable. 
    Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. The only ones that can tell you for definite is DWP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • christine1966
    christine1966 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi how long are people waiting for their money to be backdated.
  • poppy123456
    Hi how long are people waiting for their money to be backdated.
    The current waiting time for a decision for the IB to ESA underpayments is 12-20 weeks.
  • nellyn2006
    nellyn2006 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited June 2019
    I have received the same letter but it states I currently claim esa? I attended a tribunal and I won but was told wouldn’t receive any payments because I had been paid for a year during the assessment process. I’m confused because I don’t receive any money but they say I do. Also my letter is  backdated to 2009!
  • poppy123456
    I have received the same letter but it states I currently claim esa? I attended a tribunal and I won but was told wouldn’t receive any payments because I had been paid for a year during the assessment process. I’m confused because I don’t receive any money but they say I do. Also my letter is  backdated to 2009!
    Which group were you placed into by the Tribunal? Receiving NI credits towards your state pension means your ESA claim will remain open.

Did you live with a partner that works?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @christine1966 and @nellyn2006! If you need anything else at all then please do not hesitate to ask :) 
    Scope

• Therapy76
    Therapy76 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, I got 2 letters today with 2 payments totaling £10,000 .. 2.5 weeks after returning my form.. cant believe I got it! ????
  • Chloe_Scope
    This is amazing @Therapy76!! Thank you for sharing this with us all!
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Brilliant news @Therapy76!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • pgtips
    pgtips Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited July 2019
    Hi all. Have received letter and ESA3(IBR) Form.Does anyone know did you have ro be in the support group to be entitled to the enhanced Premium. I was moved from IB to CB ESA in June2012. My money stayed the same as IB £221.70 fortnightly for 52wks. In June2013 was moved to income related ESA £200.30 fortnightly because they said i could ony receive  CB ESA  in the WRG for 365 days .Does this mean i wasn't entitled to Enhanced Premium for June2012 /13  so wont be owed any money. Because i must have been in Work Related Group. Do i send reply slip back saying not entitled to ESA under payments 
  • poppy123456
    pgtips said:
    Hi all. Have received letter and ESA3(IBR) Form.Does anyone know did you have ro be in the support group to be entitled to the enhanced Premium. I was moved from IB to CB ESA in June2012. My money stayed the same as IB £221.70 fortnightly for 52wks. In June2013 was moved to income related ESA £200.30 fortnightly because they said i could ony receive  CB ESA  in the WRG for 365 days .Does this mean i wasn't entitled to Enhanced Premium for June2012 /13  so wont be owed any money. Because i must have been in Work Related Group. Do i send reply slip back saying not entitled to ESA under payments 
    Enhanced disability premium is only paid in the WRAG if you're claiming high rate care DLA or Enhanced daily living PIP.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Welcome to the community @pgtips! (do you like tea by any chance ;) )
    Thank you @poppy123456 for answering this. 
    Is there anything else we can help with?
    Scope

• pgtips
    pgtips Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you very much for your help  :)
  • jaffa
    jaffa Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Can anyone help please I received a DWP letter saying my ESA had changed and now I get the several disability top up on my ESA at £64 round that I wasn't getting it before but now all of a sudden it just on my claim I havnt been contacted by the job centre at all about anything and didn't no if I was due a back date as I was not getting this before 
  • poppy123456
    jaffa said:
    Can anyone help please I received a DWP letter saying my ESA had changed and now I get the several disability top up on my ESA at £64 round that I wasn't getting it before but now all of a sudden it just on my claim I havnt been contacted by the job centre at all about anything and didn't no if I was due a back date as I was not getting this before 
    Hi,

The severe disability premium you're receiving is because you're claiming either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care and you're living alone, or classed as living alone.

No one can tell you whether they owe you any backdated money, i'm afraid. You'll need to ring ESA and ask them when they open at 8.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @jaffa and welcome to the community. :) It's worth giving them a call this morning to ask why it's now been added and query any potential backdated money. Fingers crossed for you, let us know how you get on. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • benson16
    benson16 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I sent the ESA backdating underpayment form back in June. Still no clearer to what's going on. How long does it take please? 
  • poppy123456
    benson16 said:
    I sent the ESA backdating underpayment form back in June. Still no clearer to what's going on. How long does it take please? 
    Hi,

It was taking between 12-20 weeks but now it's exceeding that for a lot of people because of the huge amount of backlogs. Once the decision is made they will write to you. Hopefully not too much longer.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.