Hello — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello

Options
gems
gems Community member Posts: 12 Connected
Hi, I'm a newbie to wheelchairs, but I'm using one for some of the time due to fibromyalgia and some undiagnosed autoimmune problems.

Looking to get support and maybe advice from you guys, and offer some in return

Comments

• M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi gems welcome to our forum!

We have a good selection of discussion groups offering great advice and support. We hope you enjoy using them.

Anthony
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Welcome to the community @gems. How are you doing today? Many of our members also live with fibromyalgia so hopefully you'll find some great support here.
    Please let us know if there's anything specific you need some advice with!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @gems   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing .

I am one of the community champions. We are here to give you support ask anything we can help and advise with.

There are many members who can identify what you are going through.

Be in touch offer any support and advice.

Please if you wish to know any thing please ask. Some one will know a member of our team or a member of our community.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • megan_parker
    megan_parker Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Options
    Hi @gems

I am one of the community champions here at Scope and am here to offer support if I can.

I too suffer from fibromyalgia and often find myself restricted to using crutches to get around. I have had numerous people suggest a wheelchair to myself and I have had to use one at times; I understand just how frustrating it is. 

How long have you known about having fibromyalgia? I was diagnosed 2 years ago so I feel as though I' still getting used to it. I've realized that it's so important to have a good support network around you to help cope with it so if you ever need extra support, please feel free to speak in this community. 

If you would like any specific advice or just a chat about the condition, feel free to send me a message. I'm more than happy to help! 
  • gems
    gems Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Options
    Thank you all!

@megan_parker thank you! I was diagnosed three years ago, but had it for much longer! 

I have my.partner who is supportive, sometimes she doesn't quite get it, but she does her best. Unfortunately, not many members of my family are supportive. 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @gems

Good Evening it’s great to meet you today!!!!

I am another one of the Community Champion’s here here at Scope.

I have had my “Chronic Pain”since 2005 following some “Radiation Treatment”

The “Chronic Pain” still remains “Undiagnosed”

Please please let me know if you need any help/assistance in getting around???

@steve51

• megan_parker
    megan_parker Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Options
    gems said:
    Thank you all!

@megan_parker thank you! I was diagnosed three years ago, but had it for much longer! 

I have my.partner who is supportive, sometimes she doesn't quite get it, but she does her best. Unfortunately, not many members of my family are supportive. 
    Yeah I was the same, the doctor seemed to think I’ve had it since age 8; it’s just so difficult to diagnose! It’s always important to have people around you who try to help; I’ve come to terms with the fact that people may not understand it, but as long as they’re patient with me, that’s what helps. 

We’re always here for you to offer that extra support when you need it :) 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @gems
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness