What are people's experiences of switching from DLA to PIP? - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are people's experiences of switching from DLA to PIP?

Comments

• JulieTuesday
    JulieTuesday Community member Posts: 51 Connected
    KG, was your assessment successful please?  I'll post on here when I get an appointment for my f2f.

• KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    I'm still waiting for my final decision, but I'm happy with what my assessors report said.
    So I'm hoping they agree with the assessor.
  • jenniej
    jenniej Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Does anybody know if you can ask the hp in your assessment to take into account your claim medical report as I have a couple from previous assessments
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    When I applied for PIP the DWP asked if I wanted the medical reports from my DLA claim included.   I said yes.
  • jenniej
  • JulieTuesday
    I hope your assessment went OK jennie?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    How did it go @jenniej? :)
    Scope

• jenniej
    Hi julie and Chloe  it was a bit nerve racking but I had a nice young man who was local he was here for 90 mins after he had finished he told me that he did not agree with pip and that some smart so and so went and changed it  I have to wait now for 4-6weeks for an answer  he told me that he had my form downloaded on his computer and so he could make sure that was what I said on my form was what I was saying to him we just have to wait now will let you know the outcome thank you all for asking and thinking of me jennie
  • Pascoe25
    Pascoe25 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Honestly I can't fault the process. The waiting times are a bit annoying, but I had my assessment and 4 weeks later I had my decision 
  • JulieTuesday
    It doesn't sound so bad then, I really hope you are lucky and get awarded what you deserve.  I still haven't had a reply from my form being sent in, it's now a month since I sent it in, I'm hoping no news is good news and no f2f, although maybe not.. :/

• jenniej
    Ty Julie got fingers crossed for you and me for a positive answer
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Ginger, I see your post began some time ago and wonder how you are now? Sorry if I`ve missed your outcome. I am a newbie here.
    I am 66 and have been on full DLA since 2000. I`ve been dreading the switch to PIP too.

I did go to pieces when I had the letter asking me to phone if I wanted to claim PIP. But I just wanted to get on with it once the form came. Luckily my daughter was an advisor to benefit claimants, so she filled in my form for me. It took 2 hours and I was shattered after all the questions and explanations.

I sent it back by recorded delivery for £5. It was received quickly as  could track it.
    I included the following as evidence;

Social Services care plan from 2014
    their review letter from this year
    neuro`s appointments/outcomes
    neuro`s overall letter
    district nurses catheter change record
    2 letters from my carers

I hope it was enough. Awaiting the next step now I have asked for a home f2f.
    It`s all so stressful isn`t it?

Hope you are ok xx

• JulieTuesday
    I sent my pip application in on 24th June and received a letter today for a f2f at home on 13th August.  I didn't ask for a f2f and even filled the relevant box area on the form that I was happy to have a f2f at an assessment office as long as there was a lift.  I can't do stairs.  Obviously, I am scared like everyone is but then I feel well, I think I'm entitled to some help, the fact the government has changed my DLA to PIP is not my fault.  It'll be interesting to know when you get your result from your home visit  Jennie.  
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    You can't predict how a f2f will go.  There is advice on here about how to prepare for a f2f.

Watch out for trick questions.  Like 'have you any pets?'  Looking after pets especially dogs requires a lot of energy.

They might ask about hobbies.  Knitting, crafts and jigsaws require a lot of manual dexterity.

They might ask for how long you can walk not how far.  Say it takes you X minutes or seconds to walk Y meters.  Don't just give a time as they might think you can walk farther than you can.

They might ask how you travelled to the venue.  If someone travelled on their own by public transport of course this would indicate reasonable mobility.

They might ask about driving.  Driving a lot indicates stamina and concentration.  They might ask how far from your front door you park your car.

They'll watch how you walk from waiting area to interview room.  And if you put a bag down on the floor.
  • jenniej
    Julie will let you know the out come I should know in September just be yourself warts and all they asked me to do certain movements and I refused on the grounds that it would hurt good luck Julie fingers crossed for you
  • JulieTuesday
    Hi Jennie, when the person comes to do a home f2f do they look all around your home please, I need about a month to tidy up 1st!  
  • jenniej
    No Julie they never asked to look around they are not allowed to do that unless you give permission
  • starlight33
    starlight33 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Re driving and fatigue/stamina....you could argue that you have scheduled rest breaks
    Manual dexterity.... You could have driving adaptations... Does this need to be included as extra information or not..? @ Matilda. Thanks
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    because otherwise assumptions will wrongly be made about dexterity and ability.

@ilovecats - you've hit the nail right on the head!

Making assumptions is a really poor way to gather information in an interview...the best way is to ask!

But I imagine that you know that now!! And your post is very informative, as always....

• JulieTuesday
    Thank you ladies.  It does make you feel invaded especially when you didn't request a home visit. I don't have anything to hide I just need help, I do need more grab handles fitting in my loo so maybe I'll ask when they come, I'm unable to have a bath so maybe they can advise me there. Thank you again.   

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.